Random bike gripe.....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Random bike gripe.....

Post by gairym »

I've been thinking a lot lately about which bike to take to Tuscany (I know, life is tough!) and it got me thinking about bike genre name appropriateness and marketing bullsh1t etc...

Surely, for an event that is 70% very pleasant gravel roads and 30% quiet tarmac roads, a gravel bike absolutely must be the best bike to use, right?

But the more I think about it the less convinced I am that I'll take my gravel bike.

The reason being that bike types/genres are named after the fastest thing that that bike is capable of NOT what that bike is perfect for.

Example: gravel bikes are fast, you want to be the fastest you can be on gravel you need a gravel bike. A road bike is too flimsy and a mountain bike too cumbersome. Gravel will get you your fastest time.

But.....will I be happiest on a gravel bike over 7 days?

Pinging off big stones, having to concentrate every single second incase I wipe out on some loose stuff and generally being rattled to within an inch of my life.

Whereas my 29er with decent fast rolling wheels is comfy, capable and I'll be able to relax into the whole thing.

Surely that might even mean that I end up being faster due to my joints, muscles and most importantly my useless excuse for a spine standing up to repeated days in the saddle better, no?

I might not even finish if the bike isn't comfy enough for my tired sad old body!

I'm beginning to think that for those not focusing 100% solely on speed, performance and results we might need to mentally adjust the spectrum of bike appropriateness.

On a road ride I'll potentially be fastest on my road bike but arguably happiest on my gravel bike. On a gravel ride I'm thinking I might be better off on my 29er. And so on.....

And this isn't about being lazy and pampered it's a genuine inquiry into what bike might be best for completing mid/long-distance bikepacking events for those of us not burdened with the worry of success, time or placing.

Anyone else ever think along similar lines or am I out there on my own on this one....?
Pirahna

Re: Random bike gripe.....

Post by Pirahna »

Take a rigid 29er.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Having ridden with you in tuscany a couple of years ago I'd hate the first two days and the island on a gravel bike however the bit inbetween would be perfect for a gravel bike, almost a road bike.
If I were going to make the start this year I'd go rigid mtb again.
I'd have a wine tasting session in every town we went through and enjoy the ride, just like a couple of years ago.
I'd even sign up to Tinder, just like Jase.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Taylor wrote:Having ridden with you in tuscany a couple of years ago I'd hate the first two days and the island on a gravel bike however the bit inbetween would be perfect for a gravel bike, almost a road bike.
If I were going to make the start this year I'd go rigid mtb again.
I'd have a wine tasting session in every town we went through and enjoy the ride, just like a couple of years ago.
I'd even sign up to Tinder, just like Jase.
The first two days are gone. It's a new route up to Florence with 3000m less climbing :-bd

And the island is miserable on any bike as far as I can gather (I love it for being the evil bugger it is).
Pirahna wrote:Take a rigid 29er.
I did it on a fatbike the first year and two different rigid 29ers the following two years.

I've always had an itch to do it in a gravel bike, especially now that they've removed the main bit that was definitely MTB territory.

Oh I dunno, I'll keep pondering.....
gairym

Post by gairym »

Oh and Taylor, don't worry about the leisurely wine drenched philosophy and pace of the trip - that bit I have down to a fine art :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think you probably answered your own question Gairy -
my 29er with decent fast rolling wheels is comfy, capable and I'll be able to relax into the whole thing.
I don't think 'gravel' bikes have yet fully come of age. Many / most are little more than re-badged CX bikes which on long days can (but not always) be quite limiting. In my mind a gravel bike should expand riding opportunity rather than limit it, after all, they're potentially meant to be used over a wider range of terrain than just about any other type of bike*

*obviously, you can ride any type of bike anywhere.
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I don't think 'gravel' bikes have yet fully come of age. Many / most are little more than re-badged CX bikes which on long days can (but not always) be quite limiting. In my mind a gravel bike should expand riding opportunity rather than limit it, after all, they're potentially meant to be used over a wider range of terrain than just about any other type of bike*

*obviously, you can ride any type of bike anywhere.
Totally agree.

My 'gravel bike' (a Cotic 'Escapade') is a great bike but it's still not quite what I think I'm after.

Geometry-wise it's pretty much spot on but clearance-wise it's sadly lacking.

The new generation of drop bar'd mountain bikes seem to be about perfect for this event (and gravel riding in general) but I think I'd find myself homeless if I suggested to Mrs Gairy that I needed yet another bike to slot nicely in-between my gravel and 29er bikes :???:
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I think you probably answered your own question Gairy -
my 29er with decent fast rolling wheels is comfy, capable and I'll be able to relax into the whole thing.
I'd agree with Stu.

Your OP is interesting. You kind of make three points:

#1 - marketing is all about selling an image; an idea of what you may want, not what you may actually need.
#2 - you describe what you need (which appears to be something you already have).
#3 - you ask for our opinions of what you may want (probably sub-consciously to confirm your own).

Only one of the above will give you the right answer :cool:

The likes of Singular and Salsa have been making drop-bar off-road bikes for a while. The modern genre of Gravel Bike seems to be more a road bike with disc brakes and clearance for bigger tyres capable of rougher roads (bit like my old Hercules from the 60s but that had rod brakes...)..
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

gairym wrote:.

Anyone else ever think along similar lines or am I out there on my own on this one....?
No you are not alone in this.

But like many others, I have also come to the conclusion that a drop bared mountain bike is the way to go (for me). In the UK we do not have endless expanses of dry dirt roads (what the typical gravel bike was intended for) but out off road surfaces tend to wet and "rougher" and as such I will be going down the drop bar MTB route.

I love off road drop bars and the aerodynamic advantage over wide MTB bars they provide - which on the road sections is very noticeable. The higher volume and width of an MTB tyre over its more "gravel" tires equivalent works for me. Yes you do notice a small bit of tyre drag on the road, but this is made up for (in spades) by a better off road experience (comfort, line picking, security when cornering, more relaxing etc)

As for my "gravel bike" - its going to end up being my daily commuter and living the rest of it days in Norway
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

gairym wrote:
Pinging off big stones, having to concentrate every single second incase I wipe out on some loose stuff and generally being rattled to within an inch of my life.

Whereas my 29er with decent fast rolling wheels is comfy, capable and I'll be able to relax into the whole thing.

Surely that might even mean that I end up being faster due to my joints, muscles and most importantly my useless excuse for a spine standing up to repeated days in the saddle better, no?

I might not even finish if the bike isn't comfy enough for my tired sad old body!
I've just been having this very discussion with a mate I'm going to Aberdeenshire/Cairngorm's with next week for some credit card gravel touring. 5 days of about 90km a day.

I was thinking to take my drop bar 29er for comfort for my wrist and spinny gears for my (soon to be replaced) knee . He wants to take his CX with as skinny a tyre as he thinks he can risk ( was talking 28mm, now 35mm).

My view is we're not racing, we're touring/exploring landrover tracks and for all doing a day ride on light gear/tyres can be a fun challenge, doing it for 5 days can be painful. Also he's not actually done more than one 6 hour or so day off road in a row. We're credit carding as he doesn't want to camp and other than the cost that suits me for this trip.

So, as on good bits he'll be going much faster on his plastic CX (and he is a much faster rider than me anyway) I'm now looking to take my CX with 40mm tyres and bottom gear of 34*42, rather than my drop bar MTB with 2.4" and bottom of 22*36.

Still unsure...

Don't want to hold him back, but don't want to ruin my trip with pain. :sad:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Fk fashion. "..something so ugly it has to be changed every 15 minutes.."
And this isn't about being lazy and pampered it's a genuine inquiry into what bike might be best for completing mid/long-distance bikepacking events for those of us not burdened with the worry of success, time or placing.
IMO - rigid 29er, comfy position with swept bars and fast-rolling 2.3 tyres. Easy.

25% singletrack on a day ride where it takes >2hrs of road to get to that singletrack, mainly ridden for the location - all-road bike does a great job.
Multi-day road tour? All-road bike is comfier than a road bike and gives a bit more freedom.
Mostly off-road, even simple terrain? 29er.

Gravel bike popularity is as much fashion as anything (there, I said it). Fixed gear>road and CX>Gravel and drop-bar 'packing, that's how it went. There's no logic in taking a lower-fronted drop bar bike on smaller OD and/or width tyres on a long ride over rough ground. The longer you ride, the closer comfort becomes to being the same thing as power and efficiency. To me gravel/all-road bikes make superb country lane or multi-day tourers that handle a bit of rougher ground here and there. I like the challenge of riding singletrack on them but the fun wears off fairly soon and I know my 29er would out-ride and out-fun it easily, every time.

The Tour Divide is mostly dirt roads, some tarmac and 5% singletrack. Sounds ideal for a gravel bike doesn't it :lol: ...you couldn't pay me enough to get it done on an average gravel bike. Rigid 29er on >2.25s with swept bars (or high up, wide flare drops - similar basic hand position) - perfect, for touring or racing.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Can’t comment on Tusacanny route, but I’m really enjoying my new gravel bike for its real world versatility. With fast rolling 2.1 650b tyres it does anything but techy trails well, and make the draggy road bits more fun. For extended time on bumpy trails I hate the battering a rigid bike with anything <3” tyres dishes out, but a lauf fork can help a lot with that for minimum weight penalty.

Marketing BS aside, I would say a ‘drop-bar Mtn bike’ is a lot closer to a gravel bike than a typical modern MTB.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

It sounds like you need a Salsa Cut throat! :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

Great to hear everyone's insights into this issue.

James, I think you're pretty much spot on!

Currently thinking I'll near as damn it replicate last years setup.

Cotic 'Solaris' (2*10)
Rigid carbon forks
Velo Orange Casey's crazy alt bars
Crossmarks front and rear

Am finally getting very excited about this years TT. It's my 4th year now and I've bloody loved each and every one of the other 3 (in very different and often type 2 ways). I can't wait!
gairym

Post by gairym »

Think I've decided on my TT bike/setup.....

Not fully decided on the bouncy front end yet but seeing as those forks were already fitted and I'm lazy I thought I'd give it a few test rides to see what I think of the comfort/weight ratio.

Every time I pass my gravel bike I feel guilty and don't look it in the eye but I think I'm making the right choice :)
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Are those grips not on the wrong way around?
gairym

Post by gairym »

Yes, has already been pointed out in the Facebook :oops:

I'm an idiot!

Corrected now and fully loaded for a test ride ce soir :-bd
Solo

Post by Solo »

Not for an event of any kind, but it hit me today my gravel bike has flat bars (750mm) and 2.4" tyres.

It's a 29er.
gairym

Post by gairym »

:shock: :lol:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Are those the ally or steel bars there Gairy?
ootini

Post by ootini »

What are the bars ? I'm currently running a pair ali OnOne Ogs and considering running a pair of bar ends inside to achieve something similar to what you have there.
gairym

Post by gairym »

benp1 wrote:Are those the ally or steel bars there Gairy?
Ali so officially not for mountain bike usage but so far no fatal accidents :-bd
ootini wrote:What are the bars ? I'm currently running a pair ali OnOne Ogs and considering running a pair of bar ends inside to achieve something similar to what you have there.
Velo Orange 'Crazy Bar'.

I like them and despite numerous times thinking I've found better options I keep coming back to them.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

So glad the horn is making a reappearance :-bd
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Good thread Gairy :-bd

If I was joining you on the Tuscany Trail (which I am) I'd be taking my 29er with decent fast rolling wheels (which I am).

Might even take my own pair of Caseys Crazys. It's a toss up between them and the carbon cuts.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

This thread has made me realize that only having one bike can be a good thing. Err, rigid 29er today I think, :wink: :grin: .