BB200 goes large.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

BB200 goes large.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thought I'd post this now in order to give people chance to ponder ... besides the usual 200(ish)km route, this years BB200 will also incorporate the BB300 :shock:

Both routes will share many parts but obviously the 300 will include additional sections. Unlike the 200, there'll be no multiple time brackets, there will simply be a single time cut-off ... you either complete it in that time and receive your badge or you don't. At the moment, I anticipate a time of around 30 hours.

Anyway, summat the think about.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Re: BB200 goes large.

Post by sean_iow »

I'd just spotted the announcement on FB :o That's quite a challenge, I assume it will also have 50% more climbing? I already know that would require a superhuman effort likely beyond my ability but somehow I'm strangely drawn to the idea of a BB300 :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Ouch....

Took me 32 hours to do the 2014 200.

Certainly something to ponder...

Si
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I was vaguely thinking about doing the BB200 this year, no way I'd be thinking about the BB300!

What weekend is it scheduled for?
Chew

Post by Chew »

Just throwing it out there.....

....but anyone who enters, and has finished sub 24 in the past 3 years should automatically go into the 300 event :shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Chew wrote:Just throwing it out there.....

....but anyone who enters, and has finished sub 24 in the past 3 years should automatically go into the 300 event :shock:
I didn't have you down as the evil type Chew :wink:

Assuming similar terrain then a 30hr 300Km equates to a sub 18hr 200Km allowing for tiredness, a bit of sleep, etc. (Basing this on my times for the YD200 & YD300 ITTs). Looking at times for the YD300, not that many go under 30hrs, about the top third I think and the YD300 is a fast course with very little hike-a-bike.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Always interested in events where even finishing is uncertain. I'm in. :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Chew wrote:Just throwing it out there.....

To be in with a shot at 300 in 30 hours you'd have previously needed to have done the 200 in under 20 hrs, so that would be a much fairer automatic entry system and puts me outside the cut-off based on my time last year :lol:

Stuart, do you know how many sub 20 hour finishers there are on an average year?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

When do we have to choose which event we wish to enter? Ideally I'd like to make my choice at the start!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What weekend is it scheduled for?
Second weekend in Oct as usual Ben.
Took me 32 hours to do the 2014 200.
That was quite a special year though Si :wink:
Stuart, do you know how many sub 20 hour finishers there are on an average year?
I'd need to check as it varies quite a lot each year. However, the last couple of years, it's around half a dozen give or take.
When do we have to choose which event we wish to enter?
Undecided yet Zippy but it's likely to be when you enter.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

How did 2016 compare to others? That's the only one I've done.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Aww man... I wasn't coming this year (partly because I'm f*ck*ng unfit)...but 300 sounds like a real challenge.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How did 2016 compare to others?
Just my opinion Bob but I'd say 2016 was probably the most straightforward route and lent itself to quick times.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
How did 2016 compare to others?
Just my opinion Bob but I'd say 2016 was probably the most straightforward route and lent itself to quick times.
Sort of the impression I got. I lazed around in the cafe for an hour and still got a "good" time. Just hope the route doesn't take us past the woman who thought bikes weren't allowed on bridleways :shock:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I did 2016 a week later where the weather wasn't quite so nice - and did not find it anywhere near as easy as everyone else who did it on the proper date made it out to be!
Chew

Post by Chew »

My point was more the BB200 has changed a lot since 2011

In the first year people were surprised that a route of that nature could be ridden and in that timescale.
Over time, people have built up experience as to whats possible and so many people set off with the expectation of finishing under 24 hours rather than finishing at all.

Perhaps theres the danger that the BB200 could change from its initial ‘bikepacking’ format to one of being a really long day ride?

I imagine what Stu is proposing to do is to reset that bar again with the BB300, but still keeping the BB200 for those who are new to things.

I was just suggesting that some of the veterans may not want to take the easy option :wink:

A BB300 could be something that would meet Alans approval

(Perhaps 300k in 36 hours?)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Chew wrote: Perhaps theres the danger that the BB200 could change from its initial ‘bikepacking’ format to one of being a really long day ride?
TBH, I think that's already happened. I specifically chose to stop for a break on my 2016 ride as I wanted it to be bikepacking and I didn't want to go all the way to Wales just to do a large part of the ride in the dark. The Capital Trail seems to have been similarly "afflicted" since its inception. Advances in equipment and an increase in the amount of knowledge available pre-event have both had an impact, as has the entry into the activity of some seriously fit athletes :lol:
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

Another 80km on last years route :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Has it really been going that long? Wow!

With endurance events there's collective experience as well as personal experience: people talk to one another, post on here, feeding/watering strategies get bounced around and refined, kit choice becomes better understood etc. As an example, when the Bob Graham Round started to become popular in the 1970s it took most runners 2 or 3 attempts to get under the 24hr limit. Last year 97 out of 111 did it on their first attempt. Another example: the first back on the first YD300 in 2016 took 28hrs30 (or thereabouts), last year I did it in 28hrs55 and was still well off the pace of the front riders which I think was just under or over 24hrs. Everyone's getting quicker!

There's also the psychological factor - if no-one's done anything like it before then there's that nagging doubt it's even feasible. In 2016 I hoped to get under 24hrs but didn't expect it.

A "good" challenge is one that is just on the border between doable and not for the majority of people so that the outcome is in doubt. You should be wavering between "I can do this!" and "Can I do this?".

Has anyone done a BB200 in under 24hrs and bivvied?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Sounds interesting; you could just make it 200 miles and stick with the name; BB200 Plus!

Of course, it isn't about the distance; vertical ascent is a big factor, and terrain even more so. I think over the three rides I have completed, my worst time (which wasn't even in bad weather) is > 40% slower than my fastest, and I don't think fitness or technology was a big factor in this difference.

I would definitely be up for a 300 if it was mostly ridable (like the last two), but less so if it was more like the 2014 Punisher. Like Zippy, I'd rather see what the weather was doing on the day before committing to the killer loop!
Matt

Post by Matt »

one Black badge out of 3 attempts

Heart says ... go on BB300 yeah...

Heads says ... your arse / legs can't take it... don't be silly, 200km is silly enough, 300km WT...actual F
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Sounds interesting; you could just make it 200 miles and stick with the name; BB200 Plus
Haven’t done the BB200, so no place for me to comment but 200 miles sounds catchier.

The WRC is earlier this year, think first week of October, so made end up fighting those boys and girls if they’re out testing in the week building up
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Never really fancied the BB200 as it's not my best idea of "fun" so a 300 is way off my radar
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

300! :shock: :o :sad: :???: :smile: :-bd :lol:
Karl

Post by Karl »

I am well up for this. Excellent idea Stu!!!! :-bd