How is everyones BB200 prep going?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dyffers

Re: How is everyones BB200 prep going?

Post by Dyffers »

I'm already considering the same thing, only in my case poor conditions = no chance of a sub-24hr badge = bring the indestructible singlespeed bike and some more kit to at least enjoy the weekend a bit more. :|
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thought I'd take the initiative and do a quick loop of the southern end of the BB200 course to see what the conditions were like. Came across no fewer than six other people doing the same thing :shock:

Including Alfachippy and friends on their way over Carnau destined ultimately for Claerddu bothy, and earlier a couple of guys from Cannock looking also to get to Claerddu.

Overall, conditions weren't as bad as I feared. Most of the forestry stuff is fine. Some of the stream crossings are "interesting" and 4x4 pools quite deep in places, but I managed to maintain dry feet in my Shimano winter boots. Carnau itself was lovely. Found the turn I missed last year. Can't understand how I managed to ride straight past a 6" wide piece of grassy singletrack in the dark without seeing it :roll:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

So it's a race to Claerddu then?
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'm in for the first time this year too.

Prep has involved, errr, not a lot but am planning to ride steady and eat a lot (same as always then)

Looking forward to it, say hi if you see me as I'm billy no mates for the weekend and see you there.

Dave.
FLV

Post by FLV »

err got my GPX file, can anyone tell me which way round this goes?

ta muchly :D
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Anti clockwise
Chew

Post by Chew »

When Stu says a slight change in the route, do we know which bit it affects?
Ian

Post by Ian »

FLV

Post by FLV »

flatfishy wrote:Anti clockwise
Thanks very much. Was looking to work out re-supply points.
Ian

Post by Ian »

FLV wrote:Was looking to work out re-supply points.
There aren't that many to choose from. Going out, there's pretty much nothing until you get to Pontrhydfendigaid, but the shop there closes as 2pm :roll:
We dived into the Red Lion pub last year and they did us a sandwich. That was it then until we got back to the start.

You can go off route into Rhayader, depending what time you pass through, and there's a shop in Llangurig, but I don't know the opening times.
Nick

Post by Nick »

So, how is my prep going...

Well I've ridden quite a bit, getting some long rides in on Tuesday nights and also doing the 40 mile commute a few times.

Did the CyB Enduro on Saturday, much much harder than I expected, way harder than the Dyfi, but I did have a bike that wasn't working properly (skipping gears and chainsuck) which meant most climbs were in the middle ring and I couldn't get out of the saddle and pedal at all. Still I managed to finish and had a good time, will blog about it and post a video on my site soon.

The three chaps I normally ride with had all left it till after the enduro to decide whether to enter the BB or not, and decided not, my own lack of performance also left me feeling a bit down about it all.

But that has since lifted and I reckon I'm about 50:50 as to whether I'll make the start line, I'm not fit enough really so will have to rely on willpower and determination to complete it, that and a decent weather forecast a few days out.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Nick,
given that most of the ability to do something is in your head, and fitness only makes things easier, you must make the start line. You can at least say that you did the BB200, even if it took a while to do it. It's an easy route to cut short if you decide it's too much, but give it a go - you'll not know what you're missing otherwise!
(Says he, not having done this event before and trying his kit for the 1st time on the event)....
FLV

Post by FLV »

hey thanks Ian, thats good to know. I'll deffinately carry a fair bit then - shame really but there you go.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi Slarge, thanks for the words of encouragement. I did have a go last year and bailed at the obvious point and headed to Rhayader, don't want to do that again!
FLV

Post by FLV »

OS are great maps but they never seem to be in the middle of any areas I want. Does anyone know the map numbers that cover the route? I expect landranger would do.

I have a GPS but I'm not familiar with the area and maps are a nice back up.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does anyone know the map numbers that cover the route?
The OS Explorer numbers are - 215, 214, 200 and 187
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

s8tannorm wrote:
Does anyone know the map numbers that cover the route?
The OS Explorer numbers are - 215, 214, 200 and 187
Thanks very much, thats a lot of maps though :cry:
royAB

Post by royAB »

Subscriptions to Getamap (if you've access to a printer) are going cheap for a month;
http://tinyurl.com/9g42fup
FLV

Post by FLV »

arh, that would be ace but the silly thing runs on silverlight. Doesnt work at work, where the printer is!
I'll have to buy I reckon - or print from elswhere.
I'll be looking at that for home though, looks like a good package
Normg002

Post by Normg002 »

Less than a week to go now! Can't wait!

Sorted out all meals and snacks today. Wheels and bike went in for trueing/tensioning/servicing yesterday. Expecting my Wildcat Mountian Lion tomorrow or Thursday, and the last few bits from Jenny & Adam at hammock gear should be here tomorrow.

Hopefully the weather plays ball!
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

hmm just read the bit about not splitting gear ..... are we ok to share a tent between us? i am guessing so as we both will technically have some shelter each.

have been trying to get memory map to print the map area i want as a back up - to no avail, i dont suppose anyone has managed to make it into a pdf file or similar for a back up.... and if so could i be very cheeky and ask for a copy ;-)
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

adwr - I have a spare copy from last year on 10(?) seperate sheets I will try to remeber to bring. I have one on double-sided sheets as well I will be taking.

Today I fitted my bags etc and managed to fit a new tubeless tyre to the rear which seems to be staying up. Started the process of getting the front done as well.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Thanks that would be handy, but will still try and find a pdf as i would like to compress it to double sided and maybe onto waterproof paper - judging by the weather forecasts.

Good luck with the tubeless - i think i have developed a phobia after spending a night in a hotel before WRT wrestling black rubber and liquid latex!! A whole new level to my relationship with my riding partner that i just dont think i needed to get to! :-0
Ian

Post by Ian »

Nearly there with my kit. Food bought, gear and bags sorted, lights charged, waterproofs re-proofed. Just the bike now to deal with now, which is covered in mud from last nights ride. Might also need to investigate the strange noises coming from the free hub and fit a new bottom bracket though :?
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Ian wrote:Nearly there with my kit. Food bought, gear and bags sorted, lights charged, waterproofs re-proofed. Just the bike now to deal with now, which is covered in mud from last nights ride. Might also need to investigate the strange noises coming from the free hub and fit a new bottom bracket though :?
I'm the opposite. Bike sorted, tested and (mostly) cleaned.

Kit is all present in my house but not yet gathered.

Food to be bought on Friday afternoon (although I'm hoping my box of new-favourite 9Bars turn up by tomorrow).

Still deciding on whether to go with the spds and cold toes, or flats, Merrells and some more wind-protection when feet are wet. I think the flats will annoy me on the road/forestry track sections.