Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

Re: Wildlife

Post by boxelder »

He still has Fealar Lodge in too :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ah just seen the article on Bikepacking - starting at Lagganlia so does that mean it misses Blair Atholl out (and should we start another thread on this!)
Verena

Post by Verena »

This week, riding in Germany, especially at first and last light, saw lots of wildlife in the woods and fields.
Hares, lots of deer, some with proper bambi deer babies, a fire salamander, and most exciting of all, though always a bit scary, especially as it turns out now is the season for baby boars, or piglets, or whatever they're called :shock:

See also my BAM post I'm about to write!!!
Verena

Post by Verena »

Oh yes, and also, the fox!!

The night before the start, a load of us bivvied in an area of a large camp site. In the morning, the lady right next to me says, morning, sorry, hope I didn't wake you when I was chasing the fox away earlier :o - clearly she hadn't :lol:

So this fox had basically mooched about, tried to steal my neighbours banana, successfully I think, and was seen actually sitting on someone's chest in their bivvy bag (he didn't wake up either :lol: )

So I made sure on all other nights out that I left no food or wrappers anywhere in any open bags...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sat on the (actually, let me just check) River Calder, just opposite Ladywood Lake. I thought it was a heron, but now looking at the pic I'm not sure. Pity I couldn't snap it without startling it. It being about 70m away and flew over the road towards the Lake.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

That's a Heron Shaf. Specifically a Grey Heron but it's the most common in the UK so folk just say "heron". They are part of the heron, egret and bittern group - https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildl ... ks-ibises/, the only one of which you are likely to confuse it with is the Great White Egret but that, surprise, surprise, is erm white!

A good identifying feature is that their wings appear like an 'm' when flying towards or away from you.

Their reaction to humans also varies - those that have been raised close to or frequent popular waterways like canals can be very tolerant of our presence - I used to cycle within a couple of metres of a couple on my way to work and they didn't budge but others would fly off.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Ta Bob. Might be common, but rare for us :lol: Though where I'm Everesting training theres a few brooks and I spotted an otter (or summat like that) there years ago.

Yes, this Heron was very wary and flew of as soon as I walked across the road :grin: Must've thought I was gonna swim across!
redefined_cycles

Between Oxenhope and Denholme (south of Yorkshire Dales), enroute to Cullingworth to grab some forgotten tiles. Stopped to put on the jacket (which I needn't have as the rain stopped soon after, but I just heard thunder as I write!!) and heard what sounded like some aort of ships sonar.

I want to say, it felt like bullets being shot out of a flute. Looked up and it was summat with a longish beak (but not near as long as a long beaked bird). Was flying across in jet like accuracy. Feel like claiming ( :lol: you know what I mean) I've just seen a woodpecker but really not sure.

Sound it made was vaguely exciting, so was the quick flight. Then it was gone (like the Usual Suspects statement on Kaizer Sozay).

Edit: thanks to Touch below, we now know it was a commin snipe. What a wonderful noise, and fits in with how fast it was darting/zig-zagging about :smile:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I saw a peregrine falcon today - it was sat quite happily on a telegraph pole whilst I watched. Inevitably I didn't have the camera with me.... A first for me. Ospreys my next target which I hope to spot off the packraft!
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:00 pm Between Oxenhope and Denholme (south of Yorkshire Dales), enroute to Cullingworth to grab some forgotten tiles. Stopped to put on the jacket (which I needn't have as the rain stopped soon after, but I just heard thunder as I write!!) and heard what sounded like some aort of ships sonar.

I want to say, it felt like bullets being shot out of a flute. Looked up and it was summat with a longish beak (but not near as long as a long beaked bird). Was flying across in jet like accuracy. Feel like claiming ( :lol: you know what I mean) I've just seen a woodpecker but really not sure.

Sound it made was vaguely exciting, so was the quick flight. Then it was gone (like the Usual Suspects statement on Kaizer Sozay).
Just tried finding what I'd heard. Sounded most like this https://youtube.com/shorts/WDecq2YL1Ms?feature=share

Fourth or 5th bird in, called the Northern Flicker. Tried looking her up in my Collins Birds book, but to no avail.
touch

Post by touch »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:26 am Just tried finding what I'd heard. Sounded most like this https://youtube.com/shorts/WDecq2YL1Ms?feature=share

Fourth or 5th bird in, called the Northern Flicker. Tried looking her up in my Collins Birds book, but to no avail.
Could it be a Common Snipe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImGcEaQ7As4
The noise they make is from tail feathers vibrating when they fly fast so it doesn't sound like any other bird noise.
redefined_cycles

touch wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:06 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:26 am Just tried finding what I'd heard. Sounded most like this https://youtube.com/shorts/WDecq2YL1Ms?feature=share

Could it be a Common Snipe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImGcEaQ7As4
The noise they make is from tail feathers vibrating when they fly fast so it doesn't sound like any other bird noise.
That's exactly what I heard, and that's exactly what is described in the bird book under Snipe. Thanks very much Touch :-bd
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Out for a hill walk on Thursday evening, I came across this chap on Hopegill Head. Only one of them. A 'flowery' mate suggests a type of Goldenrod ((Solidago virgaurea). Presumably accidentally taken up there on someone's boot/dog's tail or such like.

It was a stunning late evening, though my phone struggled to capture it.
Looking across the Solway Firth to Criffel and Galloway
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

We rescued this chap from in the canal between Llangollen and Trevor the other day.

He's got a broken wing, poor thing, maybe from trying to swim or being hit by a car (there's a road alongside at that point). It could be that we did him no favour by pulling him out of the water - if he can't fly, how can he hunt? Maybe it would have been kinder to let him drown or be eaten by a duck than starve to death? Or maybe he can manage on 3 1/2 wings?

Which reminds me - I haven't bagged June's bivvy yet. The dragonfly pond at t' other side of Ellesmere again calls, to maybe catch a look at the Emperor dragonfly that's said to live there.

Tomorrow...
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
redefined_cycles

Superb Bob. I love Hares, it always brightens my day when I see one.
On the way back from Stockport via the Peak district I spotted what seemed to be a hare. Ran very fast into the field (it was already in) then sat. I took out my binoculars but it disappeared. Then the woman from the farm walked down - I was getting ready for a pee so thankfully I had the hare/bins excuse.

Confirmed with her that it was a hare and that it'll have known I was spying it. Then yesterday (or was it the day before) driving back from Nuneaton on a national speed limit. There was one sat in the middle of the road. Slowed down but it didn't move until I had my hazards on and was slowed and swerving around it (mainly to stop the driver behind me running it over - maybe).

Glad I managed to take evasive action and now realise it's usually (probably) hares that I see knocked over in the middle of the road. Still don't understand how drivers constantly manage to kill so much wildlife (and I pray to God that it never happens to me - God Willing). Not too hard taking safe evasive action... is it!??
redefined_cycles

Amazing... thatks Frog for them pics. Emperor Dragonfly you say. Must Google it!
redefined_cycles

frogatthefarriers wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:21 pm to maybe catch a look at the Emperor dragonfly that's said to live there.

Tomorrow...
Oh,wow... I saw an Emperor Dragonfly (male, blue) on the ride back from Stockport, not long after I'd seen the Hare. Peak district, only the one, flying somewhere over the reservoir just before Holme Moss.

Thanks for that Frog. If I'd known they were that rare I'd have stopped to try and take a snap :-bd Good info...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

As I was having a cuppa earlier (recovering from some arduous gardening) there was a thump from the front window. On investigation I noted a blue tit lying on it's back in front of it. Funnily enough a sparrow came down to check it out as I watched. As far as I could see the blue tit was still breathing so I went out to see if I could do some first aid as the local cats would have it sharpish if it lay there for long.

I gently picked it up and it was clearly very much alive. I dithered a bit but when I came into the house with it, it perked up and started to struggle. So back outside and off it flew!
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Adder spotted this morning . I only noticed it as the wife had stopped because she stepped in dog poo :lol:
Trying to ride bikes.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Went out searching earlier in the week for nightjars and they didn’t disappoint either :-bd Was a rather cold and windy night out though
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Was doing some walling on the farm neighbouring my brother's and saw an adder. That's only the second one I've seen - ever! The first was about forty years ago close to my brother's farm (was our parent's back then). It was a female - they are darker than the male, more of a green-brown colour.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

From the NYM300,

Sheep, goats, deer, cows, tons of birds, frogs, more frogs (flat packed), dogs, cats, the friendly horse, some normal horses, a very unfriendly horse, an adder (flat packed), Red Kites, humans, stupid humans, fish (in batter), dust devils.

Sadly no pictures apart from the friendly horse.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

This seems as good a place as any to share birds flipping the bird at the hostile environment.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... uild-nests
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearlegged wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:49 pm This seems as good a place as any to share birds flipping the bird at the hostile environment.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... uild-nests
I see what you did there :lol:

Exciting news round us: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... onal-trust
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Bee Eater birds in Norfolk. Took my daughter to see them this morning. Looked lovely. One of them had a close shave after getting chased by a Peregrine Falcon.