Wildlife

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Wildlife

Post by whitestone »

Well, where I'm working seems to be a reptile nirvana because today I saw a slow worm, the first I've ever seen.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Rapideye wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:12 pm Bee Eater birds in Norfolk. Took my daughter to see them this morning. Looked lovely. One of them had a close shave after getting chased by a Peregrine Falcon.

Good bins work there Rapideye. I see where the name comes from now. Ivebeen trying but not managed a clwan a pic as yours yet except for the moon. Well done, you won the thread today I reckon :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:49 pm I saw a peregrine falcon today - it was sat quite happily on a telegraph pole whilst I watched. Inevitably I didn't have the camera with me.... A first for me. Ospreys my next target which I hope to spot off the packraft!
Well what do you know - out for a paddle yesterday evening at my local country park and as I was sheltering from a heavy shower got entertained by an Osprey fishing - never seen one so close before! Over the next 30 mins it flew around me catching fish and then taking them back to a nest. :-bd
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Shaf, the name comes from the fact they do catch bees and flying insects and when they catch one they smash the sting out of it. The photo was from a phone through a long range viewer that the RSPB had set up. They looked impressive and clearer through the viewer itself, really nice colours. We watched as they hunted food below us too. They've apparently had a failed batch of eggs but seem to be trying again. They'll be off home soon. Might not come back again. Defo worth getting up early to go watch them.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Also out for a run today, where I head up a trail at the side of a field. Spotted the ears of a deer in amongst the crop, as it watched me run past. As I got directly alongside it, it lowered itself til I passed. Couldn't have been more than 10m away. My clueless dog ran on ahead without noticing at all.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Another run this morning past the same spot. Deer there again with its head above the crop. Didn't make any effort to hide this time, just watched as I ran past. Probably judging my effort. Dog still clueless
redefined_cycles

Rapideye wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:12 pm Bee Eater birds in Norfolk. Took my daughter to see them this morning. Looked lovely. One of them had a close shave after getting chased by a Peregrine Falcon.

Thanks for that update thanks Rapideye... I googled 'Norfolk'. About 3 hours away sadly. Where abouts in Norfolk is this bird sanctuary btw pls kind sir... :smile:
redefined_cycles

In my sunny wet part of Yorkshire (it's all mostly wet, but our part's sunny too :grin: ) after a local training ride. Couldn't believe my eyes, but one of the cranes (actually a grey heron but a neck like an egret!!??) I'd spotted a couple of times this month, took off ahead of me.

Only just realised it wasn't a gull due the span of the wings and the graceful/shy flight. Stopped and stared as it quickly made a U turn above me and then quickly out of sight. Lovely encounter and hopefully I'll em/it again soon. They've obviously a nest closeby...
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Shaf, they're in Trimingham, near Cromer. It is a temporary RSPB set-up to allow them to be looked after. They're keeping an eye on predators, eg foxes, stoats, egg collectors, as well as managing those that want to see them. I think this is the second year they've turned up now.
redefined_cycles

That's ace, thanks Rapideye. I'll see about making some time to pop down. Amazing find (if I hadn't said that already) :grin:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Violet Ground Beetle, Carabus violaceus. Met this lil' beastie as I was laying out my bivvy bag last night. Apparently they like to eat slugs; my wife is keen to set up a breeding colony in our back garden.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It's a shame that ants aren't that great against slugs because I have two nests of those - one large one under the patio and one under the front path. I suppose it could be one nest with two entrances! I discovered them because they've excavated a load of sand out between the cracks overnight and then when I cleared out the sand they came boiling out.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I was up in deepest darkest Northumberland this weekend doing the Naughty Northumbrian enduro in the persisting rain. On one of the transitions I happened to have got enough mud out of my eyes to spot what I'm pretty certain was a dipper sat, stock still, on a rock in the stream next to the fire road.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

BAM before last, I'm lying in my bivvi. I'm propped up on one arm, somewhere between awake and the land of nod, tucked in behind a stone cross close to the summit of small, steep sided hill, on a triangular patch of flat ground next to a field of maize.
The sounds of dusk in rural France permeate the air, The sussuration of insects, gentle creaking of the crop field and distant whump whump of a party somewhere in the next village over,
I lie like this for some time, blissed out on endorphins and the afterglow of chocolate milk. I gradually become aware of another subtle, yet purposeful noise. Back-lit by a low yellow moon, some 30 feet away I see half a dozen wild boar, Two are quite large the others maybe half the size of the largest. In the moonlight I can clearly see the silhouette of the course hair on the shoulders of the nearest one.
I am feeling quite lucky. Up until now my only noteable experience with the local wildlife was a fleeting early morning encounter with a hare who had paused for several heartbeats to groom one of his ears before realising a human was lying there watching him.
It dawns on me though that I am vulnerable, stretched out on the ground and, like the hare, these animals are going to very soon catch a whiff of my scent.
What will they do then?
I quickly stood up, suddenly feeling a little panicked. They still haven't noticed me - I'm downwind of them wearing all black. I can now hear their soft, snuffling grunts. I reach for my bike - leaning in the bracken next to me, thinking to make myself seem a larger, more imposing creature. They now become aware of me, either the sound of the undergrowth relinquishing it's grip on my bicycle or the motion of me swinging it around has startled them and they turn as one and scuttle back into the maize,
I stand there for a few moments, heartbeat slowing before climbing back into my bag. A little while later, in the quiet calm following a midnight snack, I fancy I can just hear the low, barely audible grunting conversation of two wild boar at the very edge of the maize determining just how much of a threat I posed to their little group.
It was probably just the wind though.
Grubby little urchin.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Special moment in retrospect.
I hear wildboar can be ferocious if threated.
There were lots in the woodlands of Burgundy, wher my oldad had a cottage....
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Special moment in retrospect.
I hear wildboar can be ferocious if threated.
There were lots in the woodlands of Burgundy, wher my old dad had a cottage....
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Enjoyed your telling of the encounter too Kumquat :-bd
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I was trying to find the way to a crag in the south of France years ago, with my brother and we were stood at a fenced enclosure trying to follow guidebook directions in French. We couldn't decipher what sanglier meant, until a couple of them charged at us from out of a scruffy wooden shed/hutch. Thank jings for that fence.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Funny how incidents like that make words like 'sanglier' stick in your mind. :-bd.
We were warned about walking off well known paths......
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Good to see something making use of some fly-tipped wood. Shame about the uPVC frame out of shot.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I saw & heard this this morning, whilst out on duty. A very tunefull song with lots of variety, and clicks.
Speckled chest with lots of long lighter dashes ..
I made me think of blackbird but I appeared to be about this size of a pigeon.
Any ideas?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I saw & heard this this morning, whilst out on duty. A very tuneful song with lots of variety, also some clicks.
Speckled chest with lots of long lighter dashes ..
I made me think of blackbird but I appeared to be about this size of a pigeon.
Any ideas?

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Starling.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearlegged wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:07 pmStarling.
Cheers
It was familiar but I could name it..

First one I've see close and not got bombed by it
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Alternatively, could be a thrush? I'm no expert though, just that they look quite similar.