That white stuff out there...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

That white stuff out there...

Post by restlessshawn »

So we have 45cm of powdery snow in the garden. Thought I might try a ride lunchtime, cx bike or mtb? don't have a fat bike. Or will it be a completely pointless attempt? Even trying to walk the dogs this morning was mental.
whitestone

Re: That white stuff out there...

Post by whitestone »

We'd left the car at the top of the lane (our usual procedure if it's snowed or forecast snow as the lane is a 25% climb) but the snow shovel was in it so had to walk up to get it. If I thought it was windy here, it's an absolute hoolie on top! Struggled to walk.

The fire's lit now :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Only an inch this morning, which counts as the snopocalypse in Dorset. Lanes and bridleways fine on double Ardents. Hopeful of another 3 inches later (she said).

(ps any way to limit the dimensions of my image on here when I've linked it from Strava, other than reducing it before I upload it?)

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Likely to be pointless but don't let that stop you! Pair of planks are probably the best bet....
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I had a hoot yesterday riding the fat bike. But that was yesterday. Way more snow today and wind is whipping up the powdery snow. Currently defrosting my dog with a fire on. He was covered in snow balls. Good luck to you if you go out on your bikes.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote:Likely to be pointless but don't let that stop you! Pair of planks are probably the best bet....
When you start saying that a bike ride is pointless in snow, we know things are bad!

I commuted on the fat bike this morning, which was fun at times and a bit sketchy at others. Tonight's return trip might make me look fondly on that deathmarch to the winter bothy meet... :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It's pretty bad down this way, on my extended commute last night in places the snow was up to 3mm deep :lol:

It did get a bit nippy though, minus 3.8 deg c on the garmin and with 25mph winds it felt like minus 12. For some reason I rode west for the first half of my ride which meant the homeward leg was all east into the wind, I didn't plan that very well :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Yeah I'd actually have to dig my way to the shed to try and get a bike out now, I think that's probably an indication not to bother!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Abandoned the van a mile away as I knew we'd be 'snowed in' which we have being since Mon night ... once you reach the main roads, it's fairly clear though.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I put some food out for the birds, it's f****g freezing outside.
johnb

Post by johnb »

Studded schwalbe tyres (ice spiker) with 4 rows of studs will get me through 4" of snow off road. I expect Schwalbes snow tyres would be a better option. Basically mountain bike tyres with studs. I will buy them for next year.
Knee wasn't upto 2.5-3 hour walk Tueseday so had to use bike but managed to walk yesterday and today. Dog loved it but was covered in ice particles the size and shape of golf balls yesterday!! She was making tinkling sound like she had lots of little bells attached to her. The extra weight didn't stop her catching to very large cock pheasants (bad girl!) Not sure why they put such poor effort into flying. Partridge and woodcock were flying alright? Made her stay out of water today so no where near as bad.
An A road about a mile from village I was told, was devoid of traffic. Even though it is well gritted, traffic had ground to halt on hills leading up to it.
Bad weather like this results in my severely debilitating illness going into overdrive.... bone idleness!
smartay

Post by smartay »

Snowed, drifted all day up here in North East Wales, strangely weather forecasters have not mentioned us, sent a crew overlooking Menai straits though cause it had snow for change
Bitterly cold here, oil supply pipe from tank froze, siberian weather
Annoyingly on a 18 day break from work with my outside plans dashed
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Not much up here, just enough for a little cold therapy :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.serginso ... 0102187044

Therapy for my poorly swollen and bruised knee...
ton

Post by ton »

good proper covering in sunny leeds.
had for good rides in the last few days.

Image2018-03-01_07-14-10 by 20ston, on Flickr
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

We've had more snow this afternoon so there was actually enough for the ride home to be a propper ride on the white stuff. First time I've ridden on snow and really enjoyed it :grin: so, does anyone make a fat bike frame with sliding/adjustable dropouts for singlespeed and how hilly is the Rovaniemi :wink:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfyqNdeBeOg/
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

sean_iow wrote:We've had more snow this afternoon so there was actually enough for the ride home to be a propper ride on the white stuff. First time I've ridden on snow and really enjoyed it :grin: so, does anyone make a fat bike frame with sliding/adjustable dropouts for singlespeed and how hilly is the Rovaniemi :wink:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfyqNdeBeOg/
Maybe a Singular Puffin? The singular Swift I ride SS has an eccentric BB, don`t know if the Puffin also has an EBB, could be an option.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Moder-dye wrote:Not much up here, just enough for a little cold therapy :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.serginso ... 0102187044

Therapy for my poorly swollen and bruised knee...
Owch, double owch!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh, very ouchy. Landed on rocks last sunday :cry:
Managed a bit on the turbo tonight, so hopefully it'll be up to more by the time my new brakes arrive and are fitted and the snows still about.
johnb

Post by johnb »

Ice girl
Ice girl
39666132225_c47f3835c8_z.jpg (32.4 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
johnb

Post by johnb »

Waiting
Waiting
39666295295_c73339d2bd_z.jpg (70.47 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
johnb

Post by johnb »

Where is that effing dog!!
Where is that effing dog!!
26689923788_a35dea534d_z.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
johnb

Post by johnb »

26689937988_9f97847a29_z.jpg
26689937988_9f97847a29_z.jpg (86.88 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
Yes I have definitely worked out how to use flikr. NOT intuitive
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

So the red warning is off up here but the weather hasn't changed - regular heavy snow showers and continuing hard easterlies means that the drifts are building by the hour....
This was first thing this morning - around 18" on the picnic table and drifts around 30". At last light the bike trailer was nearly gone and the picnic table is now sporting around 24" although this is wind deposited not whats fallen. I've cleared the driveway twice and it just gets filled back in.... The road outside the house is about 12-16" and nothing is going anywhere until they get the diggers in. Much worse than December 2010 as that all fell vertically and then we had a couple of weeks of clear cold alpine days.
Will be the fat bike into work tomorrow but it will be push out onto the main road. Hopefully tescos will have got some deliveries in otherwise I'm going to end up on the dried food.

Oh and its the Scottish Motorcycle show this weekend :lol:
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

My commute home was interesting. The previous snows have consolidated a bit so there’s more firmness, and the number of people dragging kids on sledges has compacted some stuff on popular paths.

However, in the Pentlands it’s drifted quite heavily. It’s impossible to even get into the hills properly, with chest height drifts making progress impossible. It’s nice to bring typical Scottish winter mountain conditions into the city though...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Welcome to my world....