Any short Fargo owners near Sheffield?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

adjustablewench

Any short Fargo owners near Sheffield?

Post by adjustablewench »

A somewhat random request I know, but in trying to find a bike that will be more road like than my stooge. But works with my new non bendy neck

I was wondering if anyone has one I can take a look at to see if I could make it work.
Teetosugars

Re: Any short Fargo owners near Sheffield?

Post by Teetosugars »

Ok it’s Manchester and not Sheffield, but both Rich and Shona are a) ace people, b) more than likely have one you could try, and c) not the tallest of people..

I’d be dropping them a line and having a day out.. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Malc aka Brothersmith could be worth contacting.

However, do you want something that looks like a road bike or behaves like one? The Fargo and especially the later incarnations is unlikely to do either. Would a flat bar road bike not be an option?
May the bridges you burn light your way
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

I am in Manchester today so was planning on popping in to see Shona.

I want something that I can more road friendly gears on. That is lighter - so ti Fargo would be my thought.

I need height at the front not just flat and the high head tube of the Fargo appeals. I doubt I'd have drop bars on it as they would be a bit pointless for me.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

For Ti Fargo money you could have a custom Ti frame.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Just checking your logic here, you want a fargo but then want to put flat bars on it?

Couldn't you just get a bike with a tall head tube or get a riser stem and riser bars on a normal bike, maybe combined with less reach?

Something like the riser jones loops with a riser stem, that would give you an upright riding position?
ton

Post by ton »

Just checking your logic here, you want a fargo but then want to put flat bars on it?
and why ever not?

my fargo rode better with jones loops and salsa bends than it rode with silly flared drop bars, that are nigh on useless for control offroad.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ton wrote:
and why ever not?

my fargo rode better with jones loops and salsa bends than it rode with silly flared drop bars, that are nigh on useless for control offroad.
Personally, I find flared drops OK off road and quite good fun (on a Singular Gryphon). "nigh on useless" is possibly a personal preference, rather than an objective assessment of 'em :cool:
ton

Post by ton »

is possibly a personal preference, rather than an objective assessment of 'em :cool:
obviously.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I love the woodchippers on my Fargo, I’ve set them up with the hook of the bend level with seat height. The tops and hoods are again very useful, the tops provide a very upright cruising position, the hoods a more stretched out stance. Far from useless off road, I like them because when in the drops you can grip the bars very lightly without fear of having them wrenched from your grasp. The Fargo is one of the most comfortable bikes I’ve ever ridden, I can’t imagine running flat bars on it though, you would have a very short compact ‘cockpit’
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Chew

Post by Chew »

BigdummySteve wrote:I can’t imagine running flat bars on it though, you would have a very short compact ‘cockpit’
That's the idea though :roll:

Wenchie had an operation on her neck which limits movement so needs something upright to help with that.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Just think of the luggage carrying possibilities!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Chew wrote:
BigdummySteve wrote:I can’t imagine running flat bars on it though, you would have a very short compact ‘cockpit’
That's the idea though :roll
My point was with the drops set up high you have that short very upright position and also other positions which give more control when needed. My position on the drops is still fairly upright.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark