What tent / bag???

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

flash

What tent / bag???

Post by flash »

Hi, I'm new to this. All my gear was bought for carrying on a motorbike. So I'm looking for a v small tent ideally that'll pack down to 40 X 15 and a 3 season bag that'll do the same. My bikes are small, so fitting a framebag will mean I can take my dancing pants and not much more. Any recommendations gratefully received.....
Ta..
flash

Re: What tent / bag???

Post by flash »

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/extre ... .aspx/red/

This looks worth considering, anyone used one???
jBay

Post by jBay »

Flash you could consider a woman length bag based on your height to reduce weight.
flash

Post by flash »

That's a good idea. Cheers John.....
jBay

Post by jBay »

I’d look at handbar bags and seat packs, you change your bikes too much for a full frame bag
flash

Post by flash »

I'm hoping to put valuables in the bar bag, another bag on top of that and clothes in the seat bag. It's to go to SSEC in Holland and SSUK on the Isle of Wight. So "proper" camping at the races.....
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Depending on budget l, I’m a big fan of my nordisk telemark 2. 950 g for loads of room.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
flash

Post by flash »

V. Nice but a bit spendy for me.....
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

flash wrote:https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/extre ... .aspx/red/

This looks worth considering, anyone used one???
My mate used his last night on the Cafe Racer. No complaints for the money and it packs down nice and small.
flash

Post by flash »

Thanks for that.....always nice to hear feedback from real humans...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got a Terra Nova Laser but if you're on a budget then there is a cheaper version, the Zephyros 1 which uses slightly heavier materials. The pack size on the website is 52x14 but I think the 52 might be determined the length of the poles. If it's the end poles then Stu can make some two piece ones.

Whilst I was looking up the above on the Terra Nova website I spotted this

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-s ... nt-second/

I know nothing about it but might be worth researching. Don't be put off by the fact it's listed as a second, my Laser was bought in the sale as a second and I don't know what is meant to be the defect and they are only cosmetic and don't affect the performance. The full price version is £120 if preferred.

I'm not camping at SSUK as it's only a 10 minute walk from my house but hopefully I'll see you there :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
flash

Post by flash »

Hi Sean, cheers for the heads up. I've just placed my order. I almost bought one of those last night at full price. I still can't see how I'm going to get my Karate Monkey in it though.... :-bd Ask Keith to introduce us. I'll be happy to buy you an ale....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Obviously you don't have to pack the poles with the tent material if it's more convenient not to do so.

I've the TN Lasercomp, sleeps 1 OK, 2 if you are friends (or married) and aren't using inflatable sleeping mats. Off-hand I can't remember if this is the one with the long poles but the tent material itself isn't much bulkier than a tarp like the Alpkit R1g-7. Pricey new but second hand or cosmetic second should be more reasonable.

I've found with sleeping bags that the adage: cheap, light/low bulk, high quality - pick two applies. The lightest and most packable bags will be high quality down but they aren't cheap. I've not used their sleeping bags but if they are as good as their quilts then Cumulus/Criterion are hard to beat. The sleeping bag ratings assume you are wearing a light thermal layer - think pyjamas! You also need to take into consideration whether you are a warm or cold sleeper and adjust accordingly. A good quality sleeping pad (Exped or Thermarest NeoAir are the goto favourites on here) will extend the usable temp range of any sleeping bag.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
flash

Post by flash »

Cheers. Good comment regarding the poles, I'd already mentally strapped them to the bars if they won't fit in the Gorilla bag. The races are in May and September so I should be OK with the bag and Thermorest mat. Then there's LE to JOG in June, but different tent and I don't have to carry my luggage, so I can take more stuff.....
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

flash wrote:The races are in May and September.
When I did my September BAM last year on the Island I was on top of the downs and only took my bivi bag and a lightweight synthetic jacket and trousers and I was warm enough. At the location of SSUK you'd be ok falling asleep in an ale induced slumber outside in shorts and tee shirt and you'd survive :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
flash

Post by flash »

That is the plan. But as I'm going to be staying on the SSEC and SSUK campsites, I think a tent is called for. I'm just hoping some drunken fool doesn't fall on to my tent breaking the pole like at SSUK in Sussex a few years back. Oh wait, that was me... :|
flash

Post by flash »

Well went with the Mountain Warehouse bag, reduced on Flea Bay...so that should be me sorted....