Moder-dye

Dutch ITT now...

Post by Moder-dye »

ZeroDarkBivi

Re: Dutch ITT now...

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

And here in Blighty:

http://www.tourbritanniarace.co.uk/about-1/

Can't say either of them appeal; too much road and not enough hills.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Wow, it's flat huh?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Kind of thinking, here we go again. Ba ba bikepack was pulled due to the potential for 'issues' and I don't see what makes this any different. I struggle to see why anyone thinks setting riders loose on open roads with the idea of 'race' in their heads, is ever really going to be a good idea. Can't quite see from the map what the off-road sections look like but we all know if any are on BW, then that's another problem.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Kind of thinking, here we go again. Ba ba bikepack was pulled due to the potential for 'issues' and I don't see what makes this any different. I struggle to see why anyone thinks setting riders loose on open roads with the idea of 'race' in their heads, is ever really going to be a good idea. Can't quite see from the map what the off-road sections look like but we all know if any are on BW, then that's another problem.
It appears you need to be a time traveller to enter so I guess there won't be many riders out there http://www.tourbritanniarace.co.uk/latest-news/
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It appears you need to be a time traveller to enter so I guess there won't be many riders out there http://www.tourbritanniarace.co.uk/latest-news/
FFS stop it, I'm even more confused now than I was before - me little head can't cope :wink:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Tom and I did one an event in Holland. The cycling was great. Quiet roads or bike paths for 200 miles.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

That looks pretty good if I'm honest..

Loved living in Holland, and yes, if it had Mountains, It would be just about perfect!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Can't quite see from the map what the off-road sections look like but we all know if any are on BW, then that's another problem.
How much off road non competetive riding can you do legally in England and Wales that is not on bridleway? Not a lot. I'm not including trail centres obviously as their not exactly point to point are they.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How much off road non competetive riding can you do legally in England and Wales that is not on bridleway?
Aside from the odd BOAT and RUPP (which may also have a BW designation) and FC ... not much Ray.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
How much off road non competetive riding can you do legally in England and Wales that is not on bridleway?
Aside from the odd BOAT and RUPP (which may also have a BW designation) and FC ... not much Ray.
Although there is a surprising mileage of what are sometimes referred to as UCRs (Unclassified County Roads) too but they can be hard-earned because you need to know what you're looking at on the maps to find them.
I struggle to see why anyone thinks setting riders loose on open roads with the idea of 'race' in their heads, is ever really going to be a good idea.
Sportive syndrome! 1000 riders at say £70 each is about 70,000 good reasons for certain people. Now, take that tourbrit event referred to... say 200 sponsored entries at £750 a throw, that's 150,000 reasons someone may want to consider it a good idea :shock:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Although there is a surprising mileage of what are sometimes referred to as UCRs (Unclassified County Roads) too but they can be hard-earned because you need to know what you're looking at on the maps to find them.
Ooh 'White' roads as I call them Peter. I love them, always a good day when you find a nice one ... or an eventful day if you find a bad 'un :wink:
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

I think all this trendy sh!t is total bollocks!*

* My new years resolution is to say what I feel.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I would just love to have the ability to have the time away from work and family (and cash) to do all these this things, never mind train for them :cry:

TBH I much prefer to do my own thing and don't really have the ability or desire to do the crazy efforts and lack of rest needed anyway, but I'm very impressed by those that do.
slarge

Post by slarge »

So, this TourBritannia thing - they have an idea, a basic website, but precious little else? 1 entrant so far, and a cost that isn't justified by any of the gumph or organisation........ I'm out.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Looks like these are the folk behind the TourBritannia thing. Maybe Peter was right when he mentioned Sportive Syndrome?

http://www.pendragonsports.com/
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Looks like these are the folk behind the TourBritannia thing. Maybe Peter was right when he mentioned Sportive Syndrome?

http://www.pendragonsports.com/
They also organise an excellent 3 day sportive, the 'tour of Wessex'
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I agree completely...