What summer quilt for the fairly tall?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ctznsmith

What summer quilt for the fairly tall?

Post by ctznsmith »

This may have been covered but having used the search and read the quilt threads I'm not sure it has.

What (summer) quilts are available for those of us that are over 6 foot 3?

So far all that are on my radar are the large Sea to summit Ember 1 or an Elightenment Revelation both of which are pretty expensive (assuming you get stung at customs for the Enlightenment). Anything else out there?
whitestone

Re: What summer quilt for the fairly tall?

Post by whitestone »

I believe Cumulus will do custom quilts but not sure if it's just overfilling their existing models or they'll make one a bit longer. I reckon that at 5'11" I'm at the upper end of what's fine for their standard models. Worth asking as you won't be stung for import duties.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

interesting, my cumulous 250 is fine for me at 6.4, also happy with the alpkit quilt as well in terms of sizing
benp1

Post by benp1 »

EE quilt here, bought direct in their long size
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'm 6'1" and I'd say my Cumulus is just too small.

I've got a Sea to Summit summer bag (Spark SP1) and it's very acommodating in terms of length. It's also great. :-bd As you mentioned though, not cheap and a customs sting to go with it.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

SteveM wrote:interesting, my cumulous 250 is fine for me at 6.4, also happy with the alpkit quilt as well in terms of sizing
Do you roll up into a small, slim shape at night? :grin: When I looked at quilts the Cumulus came up as bit small. I even started a thread on it and got replies like "I'm 5'8 and it's perfect but wouldn't want to be any taller.

I'm 6'1 and went for an EE in wide. Wifey has as standard one and it works just as well for me.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

got my cumulus 250 extended by one chamber fits great at 6 foot 3 tall,took 3 weeks to be made and deliverd great service
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

SteveM wrote:interesting, my cumulous 250 is fine for me at 6.4, also happy with the alpkit quilt as well in terms of sizing
I'm amazed the Alpkit fits as I thought it was short, even at my short&broad 5.10 (on a good day). Though I guess if you're in the warmer weather and it's comfy to "poke out of the top" then it being short wouldn't matter.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

what you have to take into account is that you are actually taller when you lay down as the angle of your feet point forward at a 45 degree angle,im 190cm stood upright and 210 laid down on my back :mrgreen:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

what you have to take into account is that you are actually taller when you lay down as the angle of your feet point forward at a 45 degree angle,im 190cm stood upright and 210 laid down on my back :mrgreen:
Is that the same for women? I was told all women were the same size lay down.
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Is that the same for women? I was told all women were the same size lay down.
I believe some research has been done on the matter: https://youtu.be/E_aW25wZ4Bc
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

In Reverse wrote: I believe some research has been done on the matter: https://youtu.be/E_aW25wZ4Bc
I was a bit worried about clicking on the link.....
In Reverse wrote:I'm 6'1" and I'd say my Cumulus is just too small.
Yup, I'd agree, just.
jBay

Post by jBay »

eE - love it, extra long
lionelrik

Post by lionelrik »

I'm a short arse but you can't beat EE for customisable options and boutique build quality at a fair price. :-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
I'm amazed the Alpkit fits as I thought it was short, even at my short&broad 5.10 (on a good day). Though I guess if you're in the warmer weather and it's comfy to "poke out of the top" then it being short wouldn't matter.
With you there, I'm pleased with my cloud cover for £65 but at 5' 11" I'm sure I'm at the absolute upper limit. I also finally managed to rip out a popper the other day. You have to be soooooo careful. Effected a repair by sewing the tear and putting a tenacious tape patch over the top. :roll:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've bitched about the cloud cover before and won't repeat. Just think it's poor for the latest price. Was only just worth the original price.

IMO
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

EE standard Enigma. Works fine for me at 6'2" and I can tuck in fairly well.
Got stung for the full customs on delivery though which hikes the price pretty high.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

Get a custom one made by bespoke ultralight. My one is amazing, will do exactly what you ask for and prices are great, verry good 860 fp down avalabe
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

For information the response from Cumulus was that they can extend the quilts by 13cm or 22cm. The extra charge (currently) was 25 eur + 3 eur/10g for extra down.
Last edited by ctznsmith on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ctznsmith wrote:For information the response from Cumulus was that they can extend the quilts by 13cm or 22cm. The extra charge (currently) was 25 eur + 3 eur/g for extra down.
Three Euros per gramme for down? Looking at images of their quilts they have 12 baffles in 177cm so for the 250 model that's roughly 20g per baffle of just under 13cm length. Another baffle would take €60 of down!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Edited. 3 euros per 10g