Lets Pretend ... Dream Kit.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: Lets Pretend ... Dream Kit.

Post by Ian »

Stu - yes, slightly see-through :D

Z-packs Hexamid Solo by ianbarrington, on Flickr

All up with 8 wire pags (49g), carbon pole (32g) and stuff sack (4g) it weighs 179g.

WIll have it for the Radnor Ring next week, so proper photos/review available after then
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Looks good Ian, do you know what shape you're planning on building if your using a pole?

What size/shape is it for that weight?

Big question is, has it met your 1G per £ weight saving criteria over the Siltarp?!!
Ian

Post by Ian »

The tarp is cut to make use of a single pole and allows room to stretch right out underneath and/or sit up, neither of which I could quite to comfortably with the siltarp (photo from Z-packs website).

It needing a pole to pitch it is one of the (small) drawbacks for bike use, as it designed principally for a walking pole. I like the use of the bike as it limits redundancy, and I may yet sew a small loop at the top of the peak to allow it to be suspended from a branch instead, which would save 30g. This does confine you to woodland when you pitch it, though. Given that I carry a leatherman with a small saw on it, I could cut my own from a small branch, but that's one more thing to have to think about after a day in the saddle.
Big question is, has it met your 1G per £ weight saving criteria over the Siltarp?!!
Yes, but I has to think quite hard before deciding to buy. I've saved 127g over the Integral Designs siltarp solo, which to most people is not a whole lot. Other plus points are the sitting up bit, and better coverage in wet conditions. However, I was expecting it to take up a good deal less space than the Siltarp so I could get more into my Clouded Leopard. Cuben fibre is funny stuff to handle - not at all slippy like the sil-nylon is, and it is more difficult to get it rolled up into a tight package. A full review will follow after the weekend.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Now that fella really does need to sort that lawn out. I've got fields the badgers have torn apart which look better ;)

Looking forward to seeing the tarp too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I did notice on your Flikr pictures that it's packed size was quite big to say how incredibly light it is.

I was experimenting with the siltarp over the weekend again, but even after 2hrs and about 20m of bits of string I still couldn't create a shape that was any better than the hooped tunnel one I usually do. Good fun trying tho :D

Back to dream kit.... I can't help but purve over the PHD Minim 600 to replace my already brilliant Alpkit PD800!!
Ian

Post by Ian »

The cuben stuff sack is a good deal larger than necessary - I could easily fit my Moonlight bivvy in there too, except for the slightly awkward non-frame bag friendly shape that would result. The cuben stuff sack may yet pass over the sewing machine to make it small (and lighter :twisted: ).