Dynamo hub for 15mm thru-axel and 9mm QR

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Krixmeister

Dynamo hub for 15mm thru-axel and 9mm QR

Post by Krixmeister »

Looking to build a dynamo hub wheel that I can swap between two bikes - one with 15mm thru-axel, the other a traditional 9mm QR. Is there a model that is easily converted (via end caps, etc) between 15mm and 9mm?
lune ranger

Re: Dynamo hub for 15mm thru-axel and 9mm QR

Post by lune ranger »

SHutter Precision PD-8X Power 6-Bolt Disk.
This is supplied as a 15mm bolt through with a reducer for QR included for about 150 quid.
Nuf said!
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

With the SP you also get the opportunity to flip a coin and either get a million miles of sturdy service or 5 minutes use before it seizes up or the bearings disintegrate.

I'd go for a Son next time.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

That's true. But you'd need to buy 2 SONs because they don't convert between dropout standards. At least mine doesn't but it's an old Klassic.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I've been using one of the SP reducers in my Son 15mm hub with no problems at all. Not sure how easy they are to get hold of by themselves though? My local bike shop had a spare that they kindly let me have.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

mje25 wrote:I've been using one of the SP reducers in my Son 15mm hub with no problems at all. Not sure how easy they are to get hold of by themselves though? My local bike shop had a spare that they kindly let me have.
Lots of brands do them. I have a ritchey one and CRC sold them branded as Nukeproof or one of their other in-house firms.

*edit*
An engineering firm would also be able to knock you up one without too much hassle. My mate had a 12mm one made.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Sounds like problem solved then. I hadn't realised they were so readily available. I suppose it's not really something you look for that often!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Both my SP's have been fine but my son puts out a lot more power at lower speed's. I'm about to try an Alpkit one shortly to see what they are like, but ideally I would go with son.