Tent for Iceland

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

Tent for Iceland

Post by Dan_K »

Not bike related but my other half and I have decided that we want to do the Laugavegur hiking route in Iceland.
The trip isn't until next summer but i want to get a shelter in the next couple of months so we can get some weekends away.
Was thinking of the SMD Lunar Duo but i'm worried if it would be up to the damp/wind/weather.

Any other suggestions? We'll be carrying trekking poles that could be used to pitch it.
didnothingfatal

Re: Tent for Iceland

Post by didnothingfatal »

I was going to do that this summer, but decided on longer in the alps next month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEAg1CGHGJo

something with extremely good midge protection
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Yeah, I read the midges don't bite though but I would imagine the swarming would be pretty annoying. We'd be going in August so it will be warm enough for them. Think the scenery will more than make up for it though.
Gonna be a hard trip to pack for as the temperature and weather can vary so much. Already compiling a pretty long kit list. Good excuse to buy loads more kit though....

Anyone been?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dan, have a word with this bloke - Dick Phillips. He's been doing stuff over in Iceland for 50 odd years and offers an information service, map sales, advice. His number's 01434 381440 tell him you got his details through the Rough Stuff Fellowship journal.

Re tent - The Lunar Duo looks a nice thing. It's not a full 2 wall tent but given it's got 2 doors, 2 vestibules and vents I don't see condensation being much of a problem. The new 'outfitter' version looks really good value.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Thanks Stu. I'll give him a buzz.

Re: tent, i've read reports of misting. Do you think this will be a concern considering the weather?

The outfitter looks good value but price isn't a huge concern so i'd opt for the lighter version Explorer. Split between the two of us, we won't even notice we're carrying it!
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Something that survive high winds would be my first choice,

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN4216

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?tar ... ory_id=290

Mountaineering tents with a geodesic design, lightweight isn't always he best choice.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Re: tent, i've read reports of misting. Do you think this will be a concern considering the weather?
I've heard people talk about misting with lightweight silnylon but it's something I've never experienced. The problem seems to be water vapour penetrating the material under heavy rain/high winds. The thing doesn't exactly leak but the the inside of the tent becomes 'misty'.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

It's a shame that there isn't an option to test shelters before buying.

I really like the look of the Lunar Duo and think it offers huge space for the weight but then i'm concerned about the protection and if an Icelandic storm would be too much.
Also been looking at the MSR Hubba Hubba HP and TN Voyager.

Any experiences of these two?
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

Dan_K wrote:It's a shame that there isn't an option to test shelters before buying
I think you can 'rent' them from Alpkit before buying and they will knock that price off if you eventually buy one from them.

I to would be looking at mountain tents over ultra light weight.

maybe a good compromise would be something like the Vaude Taurus UL. We have had one for arond 3 years now and it has been excellent. Spent 10 days in it walking the SW Coast path and another 7 on the Pembrokeshire Coast Path along with plenty of other weekends here and there. Its around 1.8kg and you can squeeze 2 x 50L packs in the porch.

G
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Thanks Griff. It's a struggle finding the compromise over weight, space and strength. I want that holy grail of a tent that:

1) weighs less than 2kg (2.5kg at a push)
2) is roomy enough to store 2 packs and cook in the vestibule(s)
3) is 3-4 season
4) 2 doors would be a bonus
5) double walled
6) Less than £400

I've been looking online at the Scarp 2 and also the Luxe Outdoor Habitat (MSR Hubba Hubba copy).

Any other suggestions?

Whichever I choose, I'll get ready for a break in the Lakes in October.
Ian

Post by Ian »

We did Iceland in early May 1999, pre-midge season and still snow on the ground. Used a North Face Moutain 24 which is your typical geodesic four pole tent. Can't remember what it weighed, but it was fine for two plus gear with cooking space. Agree with griffdowg that you're better with a mountain tent than something too lightweight
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

yer, you cant really cook out of the vaude.

3 season should do you for Iceland. The tent wont be pitched long enough to deal with excess snow buildup. Most 3 season tents can also deal well with high winds.

Good friends of mine have a TN Voyager 2.2 http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Product_Typ ... cification have used one for years. spend months in it in New Zealand and around South America

worth a look.

F&T also do one of these for £380 http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Product_Typ ... er_XL.html

nice porch and only 2.4kg. You could easily stretch out and cook in this on a crap day.

G
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dan have you thought about some sort of 'mid' shelter like an MLD Duomid or a BearPaw Pyra? Combined with an inner net tent you'll be safe from the biting things and still have ample cooking/storage space. It'll come in well under 2kg and will handle some weather (even some snow).
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Both of those look good Stu but I think i've decided on this:

http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html

Seems to tick all the boxes and can be used with carbon poles or trekking poles. Pretty cheap too.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I have a mountain equipment dragonfly 2 xt that ticks most of your boxes. I got it especially for cycle touring with 2 and having a massive porch for all the gear.

Have pitched it @ 600m in terrible weather and it never budged an inch

Not the lightest ot the cheapest but I got it on sale so it wasn't too bad. I would happily pitch it in almost any weather and go to sleep happy.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dan, I don't know if it would work out cheaper getting it from europe but it might be worth looking into.

http://www.trekking-lite-store.com/trek ... ::374.html
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Hi Stu and Dan,
Some feedback for you.
I recently ordered from Trekking Lite and was willing to wait for stock to come in from SMD but the day it became available in the US I was refunded by TL in Germany (in Euros).... claiming that the tent wasn't available from supplier in the US (SMD in this case). However other bits of the order were sent fine but still not too good from a customer point of view.
I stongly suspect that the movement in the Euro/£ rate meant that there was an increased cost to fulfilling my order and so my money was simply returned to me (- Paypal costs) the day stock became available.
I ordered direct from SMD in the US and comms with Ron and Brandon were great - tent wasn't marked at full cost so didn't have to pay full import tax (some :( but not all). So in the end no more expensive than ordering via Germany - although the Euro cost/conversion may be better now (maths not my strong point!).
My 4p worth; if it helps.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Makes perfect sense Mark ... I did wonder why they're weren't able to sort you out, even though there seemed to be plenty of stock in the US.
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

we want to do the Laugavegur hiking route in Iceland.
I can tell you in acouple of weeks as the wife and will be doing it next week.

We are using the huts which are nit expensive but have to be booked well in advance but ill be right next to the campground.

The main thing other than strong is free standing, a tunnel tent or the like may be very hard work to pitch and youll have to rely on rocks instead of pegs as the ground is supposed to be rock hard or actually rock!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

PC, i'll be grateful to hear about the trip!

I think we're set on the Stratospire though. It's relatively easy to pitch so I might get lucky with a few rocks....