Waterproof Shorts Recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Waterproof Shorts Recommendations

Post by dlovett »

Hello,

I am after a recommendation for a pair of waterproof shorts. To be worn for commuting and the odd ITT. Happy to pay whatever is needed for a good pair that will last.

Any suggestions.

Cheers
benp1

Re: Waterproof Shorts Recommendations

Post by benp1 »

I have a pair of Madison something's, zenith maybe. So far they're pretty good, after a long deluge I'm damp but not wet

I like the look of the Gore ones
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Tenn's are good :smile:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've got both the Madison Zeniths and some from Polaris.
The Madisons I've ridden in since the start of the year. Mainly MTB in the Peaks, and some commuting. I've utterly neglected them in terms of washing, reproofing etc. The cut is pretty good, maybe not quite high enough at the back. Breathability is pretty good. They've been pretty waterproof until recently, when a combination of utter deluge and no rear mudguard resulted in some water getting through in the bum crack area.
The Polaris I picked up in their summer sale in preparation for winter, so I can't comment on longevity yet, but initial impressions are that they're a bit heavier than the Madisons, and less breathable
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've had numerous pairs over the years and have found that regardless of price, they pretty much all fail in their primary function sooner than anticipated. I find that the tops over the thighs will wet-out after a couple of hours of prolonged rain ... because, quite obviously no one cycles for more than two hours in the rain :roll:

Anyway - I bought a £5 pair of Regatta over trousers which I don't imagine breath very well but are waterproof (plastic generally is) and with the aid of scissors and sewing machine, turned them into shorts :-bd

May the bridges you burn light your way
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

^^Isn't that a 'capri' pant not shorts?^^
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I had an idea (it's OK, you can pick yourself up off the floor now) but it might have been something I've seen at some point during various web searches. Why not use something akin to a paddler's spray deck? Longer at the front to cover your knees, a lightly elasticated hem to help stop it flying up in your face. Combined with a set of lightweight mudguards it would keep most if not all water off your legs and wouldn't be hot and clammy in the way that overtrousers are.

Found what I'd seen before - http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Isn't that a 'capri' pant not shorts?
I'm all about fashion me and besides, I haven't got the knees for short shorts :wink:
I had an idea (it's OK, you can pick yourself up off the floor now) but it might have been something I've seen at some point during various web searches. Why not use something akin to a paddler's spray deck? Longer at the front to cover your knees, a lightly elasticated hem to help stop it flying up in your face. Combined with a set of lightweight mudguards it would keep most if not all water off your legs and wouldn't be hot and clammy in the way that overtrousers are.
Being all about fashion, I made something very similar the other week Bob. Needs some tweaking but overall it'd probably work very well. I'd avoid cuben or spinnaker as it doesn't drape well.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:...I haven't got the knees for short shorts...
Tell that to the people on TNR that copped an eyeful :)

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tell that to the people on TNR that copped an eyeful :)
That wasn't my knees :wink:
Al

Post by Al »

I've been through loads of pairs over years but always found some spray gets over the top when your jackets inevitably rides up.
A found German army flecktan goretex trousers (which are a kind of high backed braces / salopettes type arrangement so stop all spray) cut down and hemmed into shorts to be fantastic - my wife thinks they look like hilarious clown trousers but you really can't tell when you've got a jacket over the top ( and I don't rightly give a shot anyway!). Thse are the fellas:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/GERMAN-ARMY-GOR ... 0833119206

Whitestone, sounds like your describing something like these:
http://www.rainlegs.com/en/home
Got my dad some years ago, don't think he uses them much and they really to lookquite special on...
Edit- missed your link - that there is a skirt!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The item in the ZPacks link is for walkers/hikers, I was thinking something closer to an apron but with some material round the back. From the side the hem would be at a steep angle leading from the back down to the front. Sort of like an old fashioned cycling cape but from the waist rather than the shoulders.

I'd seen those rainlegs some years ago, a bit like them but with material joining the two leg parts and no straps around the legs.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

My Mate recommends the Endrua MT500 ones, simple and reasonably light