Paramo Quito, anyone have one?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikerbill

Paramo Quito, anyone have one?

Post by fatbikerbill »

Thinking of getting a winter weight waterproof.

Two mates have a showerspass, refuge I think, and they both approve.

But I've also seen online the paramo Quito which looks great with good ventilation

So any reviews please?
Stevemorg

Re: Paramo Quito, anyone have one?

Post by Stevemorg »

I've had a Quito, Velez and Pasco - great jackets, a little warmer than most shells but very breathable and they don't feel clammy next to the skin if you are wearing a short sleeve base layer.
People seem to love or hate them - But if or our typical wet and cold winters I think they are perfect.
I happen to be selling my xxl Pasco if that's any use - even I can't just fifty 4 Paramo jackets!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My paramo is the only jacket I own that could stand up to a monstrously wet weekend in the Lakes. Weather was horrific, truly. But my top half was dry the whole time. Amazing

Check out the Ciclo, lighter weight top that should be just as waterproof
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Interested in any advice on this too. Keep looking at Paramo jackets but thing is I'm a sweaty beast and put off by potential weight / lack of venting / over-heating. Would want it for the hills rather than riding (could cycle naked in winter and still be warm enough :oops:)

Sorry for any hijack :cool:
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I know the feeling CM.

That's what puts me slightly off the showerspass.

It has vents but not as we know it.

Where as the Quito has full arm pit vents.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'd struggle to wear my paramo (third element) in anything warm, maybe teens, while exerting myself (i.e. Riding uphill)

They don't pack down small either

But when it rains we don't get warm rain like other countries, and it's often combined with some wind, then it could be OK

I haven't tested it enough to be honest, I haven't tried it in moderate temperatures for fear of it being too warm. I usually wear a normal waterproof and just end up wet! I run warm normally (but annoyingly sleep cold)
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I have a pasco, perfect for all but summer. About an extra base layer worth warmth.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Hiya Bill

(is it Bill C by the way ?).... Blue Surly ICT ?

For me the Quito is good, very good. It keeps the rain out, has a HOOD, which is essential if you're out for hours in the wet.

I had a very light Inov8 soft shell, waterproof BUT doesn't breathe, and it doesn't give any warmth, which is what you need to survive long periods in the wet.

It's not particularly light but it gives warmth - I was up Winter Hill yesterday and had it on all the time, over a Paramo baselayer, no problems, it has very long underarm zips.

Campcraft in Bolton are now stockists ( I got mine from Go Outdoors before I knew that, but would rather support small local shops)

Must show you my favourite 20 mile Tockholes/Darwen Tower ride - over 2 miles of ST !
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Apparently Paramo have actually light weight kit coming out this yea - as in way lighter than the Velez (I love mine too). Awaiting the reviews post ODS last week
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

My two p worth....
I use Paramo, Buffalo (when it's really cold) and an old Rab pertex mountaineering jacket (for walking),
My Paramo velez 8? Years old is by far the best outdoor jacket I've ever had. Worn it this week in our summer
Showers and even though very warm, no condensation or that clammy feel you get with other garments.
Warm enough in most conditions, in winter I have a Paramo reversible mountain pull on top that has
Corresponding zips etc, when out on a day ride I have a Fuera wind proof ( and showerproof) smock that folds
small enough to Fit in my Beerbabe handlebar bag in my Jones loops. Yes, the velez doesn't fold up small
But that must be its only minus point....but it's tough too, a spill off the bike won't see it trashed....you can't
Have everything :roll: . I'm going to have a look at the Ciclo when funds allow, not seen one in the flesh
But sounds a great all rounder :-bd
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Eric,

Cheers & yes that is indeed me - https://goo.gl/photos/Rrp1tznUe8Wjt5aR8

Think I'm persuaded just by the length of the armpit vents
benp1

Post by benp1 »

GregMay wrote:Apparently Paramo have actually light weight kit coming out this yea - as in way lighter than the Velez (I love mine too). Awaiting the reviews post ODS last week
That's good news. If it's lighter than their light range that can only be a good thing

Maybe they'll think about designing clothes that actually fit nicely now :grin:
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

for colder weather biking i'm a great fan of "Paramo".
I got a made to measure custom cycling jacket from the same material ( made by Cioch on the Isle of Skye for £185 )
bright red for visibility, no pockets, extra long arms, reflective piping, under helmet hood
Fully waterproof and much more breathable than all the countless Goretex / Event jackets i've owned over the years.
reputed to be long lasting as there is no membrane to deteriorate.
think the breathability of a windproof but fully waterproof.
in Winter i ear it all day with just a thin merino underneath most of the time
the catch....too warm to wear above 10°C. So from late spring until early autumn i use a OMM Event Waterproof
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

benp1 wrote:
GregMay wrote:Apparently Paramo have actually light weight kit coming out this yea - as in way lighter than the Velez (I love mine too). Awaiting the reviews post ODS last week
That's good news. If it's lighter than their light range that can only be a good thing

Maybe they'll think about designing clothes that actually fit nicely now :grin:
Thats bad news as it means I'll be buying yet another jacket in the near future....
Had my quito since 2013 and would concurr with the above views. Best breathability of anything (put it on over wet base layer and within an hour its dry), repairable and waterproof in all conditions. It does get a bit warm but warm rain is such a rarity in Scotland its not an issue.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I haven't found merino to be a good baselayer and it holds onto the wet too long though

I find synthetic or even better mesh to work best

Merino might be ok for low exertion stuff though