Anyone experience of these packraft?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scud

Anyone experience of these packraft?

Post by Scud »

Would love a go at a fat bike/ packraft trip, but can't really afford the £800+ for the Alpacka models, anyone experience of these Klymit, seems a lot for the money and reviews seem quite positive?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klymit-14LDBl0 ... t+packraft
atk

Re: Anyone experience of these packraft?

Post by atk »

No, but I did consider this option: http://www.diypackraft.com/

Seems fairly straightforward, but I suppose it depends on how 'gnarly' (I don't know what the appropriate kayak/raft/canoe lingo is...) things are going to get...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've looked at them a few times but never bought one. I recall an amusing youtube video of someone and 'a dog' testing one, which was enough to make me realise there was probably zero chance of strapping a bike to one and crossing anything more challenging than a canal.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Scud wrote:Would love a go at a fat bike/ packraft trip, but can't really afford the £800+ for the Alpacka models, anyone experience of these Klymit, seems a lot for the money and reviews seem quite positive?

I think it's your duty to us on this forum to get one and try it. Stu might even pay* you for a review :lol:

* in buttons
Scud

Post by Scud »

I'd be up for that....

Often when something seems too cheap, it is, but this seemed to get OK reviews and i wouldn't be launching it down any whitewater. Worth a punt for that price, only thing i can't seem to find is "real world" weight limits for it.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

atk wrote:No, but I did consider this option: http://www.diypackraft.com/

Seems fairly straightforward, but I suppose it depends on how 'gnarly' (I don't know what the appropriate kayak/raft/canoe lingo is...) things are going to get...
Boater lingo is the same as bike lingo. You're good to go.

Never say class V unless you want to be confused for rafter scum though ;)

/ex-whitewater paddler.
Chew

Post by Chew »

As an aside, a few of us had a go on some pack rafts at the Adventure Cycle Festival. Quite a bit of fun.

You can hire them for ~£30 a day. For that I can't see the appeal of buying one unless you're going to get a lot of use out of it.

There was take about arranging a trip out at some point.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Plenty of places near me to hire kayak/ canadian canoes, but no packraft places.

Only things that concerned me with these, is that it is a single air chamber so a puncture means the whole thing going down...vicar
Chew

Post by Chew »

Think you'd be very unlucky to puncture one as the material is very roboust.

And then the risk of puncture is generally when you're near the shoreline, so worst case it's a short swim
Robster

Post by Robster »

Ahem! Just add a sea kayak....

https://vimeo.com/221110753
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Chew wrote:Think you'd be very unlucky to puncture one as the material is very roboust.
I remember those words when people used to buy the "new" plastic river boats. Single skin is single skin. Sharp rock, wrong angle, it's toast. But then you also get people running proper rivers in them ala Mike Curiak: http://lacemine29.blogspot.co.uk/2017/0 ... creek.html
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Other than the extremely lightweight models, they're actually quite robust. Of course you probably want to take some precautions if you're strapping your bike on the front. Some use an intermediate sheet of material as a buffer, I've used a rucksack a couple of times.

FWIW I find the boat tracks straighter with a load on the front too.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I spent a while reading about some guys going through the wilderness something in North America, on bikes and packrafts. Basically making progress through somewhere that wasn't going to be straightforward. It was a very good read

The idea of a packraft/bike adventure sounds good (there was a blasphemy adventure by Mr Humphreys on a brompton and a packraft somewhere I think)
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've got an Alpacka Explorer 42. I've not used it a huge amount but it's great for having in our camper van "just in case". I used it recently on our tour of the Outer Hebrides (in a tidal lagoon on North Uist) and it was great to get out for a paddle without the hassle of taking my rigid canoes/kayaks. They paddle better than you'd expect but have virtually no "glide" (as soon as you stop paddling it stops going forward unlike a hardshell boat).
I've used it for some bikeraftpacking and just lashed my bike on the front, the material is very tough as Scotroutes mentions. I've also done the Rannoch Moor crossing in it which was brilliant. I'd fancied the trip for ages but baulked at the logistics of the huge car shuttle needed to complete it in a canoe. With the packrafts we were able to leave a car at Bridge of Orchy station and take the second one up to the end of Loch Ba to launch then on completion we just got the train one stop back to Bridge of Orchy and picked up the cars in about twenty minutes. We were also able to run most of the Abhainn Ba river as they have such a shallow draught (no way it would have gone in a canoe) which was great fun. :cool:
http://jurassic-chris.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... kraft.html
http://jurassic-chris.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/
Scud

Post by Scud »

Thanks all, it will be mostly inland on flat water.. so will give it a punt, if i get into it, then look to upgrade to a better Alpacka one over time i guess.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Chew » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:32 pm

As an aside, a few of us had a go on some pack rafts at the Adventure Cycle Festival. Quite a bit of fun.
You can hire them for ~£30 a day. For that I can't see the appeal of buying one unless you're going to get a lot of use out of it.
There was take about arranging a trip out at some point.
Still a yes please from me Chew - loved it
I've also done the Rannoch Moor crossing in it which was brilliant. I'd fancied the trip for ages but baulked at the logistics of the huge car shuttle needed to complete it in a canoe. With the packrafts we were able to leave a car at Bridge of Orchy station and take the second one up to the end of Loch Ba to launch then on completion we just got the train one stop back to Bridge of Orchy and picked up the cars in about twenty minutes. We were also able to run most of the Abhainn Ba river as they have such a shallow draught (no way it would have gone in a canoe) which was great fun. :cool:
Great idea right here for a first trip.... what can possibly go wrong (lots obviously :grin: ) :-bd
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

99percentchimp wrote:
Chew » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Great idea right here for a first trip.... what can possibly go wrong (lots obviously :grin: ) :-bd
You'll be fine, go for it. My tips would be wait until autumn (until the midgies have gone), a southwesterly wind will give you a nice push all the way and don't do it after a prolonged dry spell or you'll end up wading some of Loch Ba and walking the whole of the Abhainn Ba (which is great fun to paddle). Let me know if you're going to do it and I'll give you some more specific info on campsites etc (or come with you all if you want some company).
:-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Scud wrote:Would love a go at a fat bike/ packraft trip, but can't really afford the £800+ for the Alpacka models, anyone experience of these Klymit, seems a lot for the money and reviews seem quite positive?

Ooh, they've dropped a bit since I last looked. Salsa have a new video out "Instruments of adventure" with the usual navel gazing but with some cool rafting action. :-bd
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I've spent some time though not money (as yet) on this subject.

That Klymit will NOT keep you dry unless you are on a mill pond or you are wearing a drysuit. Shame though.

TBH I'd fancy my chances more in one of those blow ups from the seaside.

Can't find a link atm but the US special forces did an inflatable which doubled as a tarp type shelter.

Wish list. Packraft that doubles as sleeping mat with a tarp cover. I'd pay a Grand for one of those
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

An upturned packraft does make a comfortable mattress....

OTOH a 3/4 Thermarest also makes a good floor for the packraft. The added insulation keeps your arse warm when it's cold, the boat feels a bit less flexy in rough water and you decrease draught so can take on shallower water.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I bought a two person inflatable as a safety boat for Mia who is getting into outdoor swimming and wants to push herself.

It has three chambers and is very tough fabric. Packs into a rucksack. But is bulky and 14kg! Ideal for what we need though.

Looking forwards to using it this weekend.
Trigs

Post by Trigs »

Bought an Alpacka raft a few years ago but tbh ive hardly used it. Figured i would use it for walking and trips across lochs etc, but its a bit slow on flat water to be enjoyable for me, and if theres a wind :|

Did try a trip down the local river with the bike attached for getting back home. Was my first attempt at rigging it onto the raft, and i had gathered a bit of a crowd which didnt help :oops: but it worked.

http://imgur.com/a/O5B3W

Not sure id run anything bumpy mind you, bit wary of feet getting tangled in the bike if capsized.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I remember looking at the Klymit boat, but really happy I went with a Alpacka Yak, cruiser deck and cargo fly. It's utter fun and more whitewater capable than I am...

Depends heavily what you're planning to do with the boat.

For a quick river/lake crossing to facilitate access to certain region a Klymit or small Alpacka Scout etc. is a very good option. There are a few DIY kits out there too. Surely worth a look.

For river running with some WW go for the Alpacka Series.

The cruiser deck helps you to stay dryer and warm when in the subarctic on an expedition and is more flexible when you're paddling & basking in the sun down a easy swimming river. A proper spray deck is only needed in WW beyond III Imo.

Not a fan of the therm a rest as a seat idea. In the wilderness running a river you're in and out of the boat more than one might think (scouting, towing) and thus the mat gets heavily abused by the dirt and sand and of course wet. If it's an open & calm river, sea or lake crossing it's okay, but a river with little or no info to be found (eg. Alaska has a few tributaries and smaller river that are not in the 'bible') you're better off with the original seat and some foam pad, or Exped air pillow as a seat (only) and some foam.

My Yak and my GF's Alpaca (size m and s in the Alpacka Series) have some signs of abuse, but no holes or tears so far, and they've been dragged about alright, including bush whaking. Guess it's quite important to keep hard and especially hard and pointy objects away from the fabric, so this can deform at contact.

Ask for discount when buying directly from Alpacka.

Here are some seemingly good alternatives:
http://www.packrafting-store.de/index.php?language=en
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I looked into a sub 1kg one and they are about, but are $$$ if you only use it once or twice a year. I did think about buy the plans and making one, but I have never yet gotten round to it. IF anybody does fancy a try and wants to go halves on some plans let me know.

https://www.diypackraft.com/shop/mercha ... aft-plans/
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Another one here:
https://iron-raft.co.uk/