Tim Woodcock's Coast to Coast

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Tim Woodcock's Coast to Coast

Post by Ian »

So, I've got the book on order and I gather it has a reputation for being hard.

Anyone on here done it?
Any comments/experiences/advice for doing it?

Thanks,

Ian
d45yth

Re: Tim Woodcock's Coast to Coast

Post by d45yth »

I'd be keen to hear what folk do for transport from the start/finish? I don't live too far from the start, so I could bike there or easily get a lift. I'm not sure how I'd get back home though...I know the mini-buses that leave daily do so quite early on (around 4pm), causing a problem if trying to do it in 3 days.

Ian - I know a few folk who have done it and I was very surprised when they told me so. They aren't the best bikers in the world and have only got basic kit. Someone like yourself shouldn't have a problem.
(It was the Woodcock route as well...I tried to tell them it would have been the Sustrans route they did!!!) :oops:
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
slarge

Post by slarge »

It's a great route - we took 3.5 days, and they were full days. First (half day) was St Bees to Wasdale Head (excellent riding), 2nd day to Kirkby Stephen (full day - 14 hours riding, but we did have to stop in Ambleside to fix a mechanical). Again, excellent riding, but the moor over Wet Sleddale was very boggy (there's a bothy there if you get caught short). 3rd day to (can't remember the name but the Woodcock book mentions it). We missed some cracking off road riding after Tan Hill pub as we needed to make up some time, and the climb through a bog up to Tan Hill should be avoided if possible. 4th day was to Robin Hoods Bay, and there was some cracking riding around Rosedale, but the moor crossing over Fylingdales was quite poor - claggy mud that wasn't much fun - I would pick another route if doing it again. We used Youth Hostels as they're cheap, but bivvying would be a good way to travel - there's loads of bivvy spots and water points.

We were lucky with transport as one of us had parents on hols in the Lakes who drove our car across to RH Bay and left it there on their way home for us to pick up, but there are Sherpa services, and a bus service I think. The train would be a bit of a nightmare unless you get the train to St Bees area.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

I've not yet ridden it, but I was planning to do so last year & worked out a few changes to the route based on some feedback from people who've ridden it, mainly to avoid the boggy bits. I'll email you the gpx file I created Ian. Also put a few notes on there as to potential bivy spots :D .

As above, a fit mate of mine rode with some not so fit people & they coped ok. Although, another regular cycling mate said on his return from riding that route, "Woodcock is a ****"! :lol:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks all for your input. Still waiting for the book to arrive, but have had a good look at at pedalheads route. I can recall various bits from past Polaris Events. Mosedale was quite memorable. Route seems to flow fairly well and more road in it than I thought there would be.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I did it a few years back. A very good route, although you might want to make a few subtle changes, as some of the bridleways mentioned are not very ridable.

Start/End - The starts easy to get to as there is a train service which runs to St. Bees, and the 'start' is a mile or so away. Robins Hoods Bay has no transport links at all, but its about a 10 mile ride to Scarborough where you can get a train back to Leeds/Manchester to link to elsewhere (regualar, quick and no isses just turning up with the bike).
More than welcome to leave your car at mine, and train it for the start/finish.

If i remember, theres not that much road invloved except the 30 mile stretch across the flat bit between the Dales and the Moors, and bits around Kirkby Stephen.

The bits you might want to think about changing is the bog before Tan Hill (fairly pointless), and the end after the climb out of Goatland, where Woodcock seems to take you on a huge detour, rather than a straight line to the 'finish'

You'd be best to let it dry out a bit first, considering the amount of rain we've had receintly. When we did it it was after 2 months of little rain and Mosdale had dried out, but it wouldn't be much fun to do that section right now. Also its very boggy over the top and through the forest after Eskdale.

Have fun with the book, Tim's a bit vague at times....