Bar end shifters?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

Bar end shifters?

Post by petemaz »

Looking for some help please folks... I've only really ever used thumb shifter gears on an MTB, however I'll be after a new bike soon and have found a gravel bike that ticks all my boxes, however it comes with flared bars with bar end shifters. Does anyone have experiences of using this setup... pros/cons?? Cheers
mechanicaldope

Re: Bar end shifters?

Post by mechanicaldope »

No experience with them but I have found that I occasionally ram my knee into the end of my drop bar when tight cornering. Not frequently and may be because my bars are too narrow or something but it bloody hurts. Can't help but think that I would do it more frequently and probably eventually break the shifter if I had a bar end shifter.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got them on a couple of bikes. After an initial five minutes using them becomes second nature ... don't let them put you off.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

There will be one time you straddle the top tube and the bars will swing round and jab you where you don't want jabbing....
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

With flared drops, I've not had any issues with knees striking bars. I've used bar end shifters on my Mtb and touring bikes for 20 + years- love them
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Got them on my Kona Sutra. Absolutely no problems adapting to them, to such an extent that the other day when I was riding on the bar ends on the MTB I dropped my hand searching for the non existent bar end. Makes feathering the front derailleur a breeze and if you have problems with indexing on the rear derailleur (for whatever reason) it's easy to change to friction.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The bar end shifter on my Arkose is pretty much the slickest shifting bike I have!
ton

Post by ton »

rode a bike fitted with them for a 20 year period. loved them to bits, used to put them in friction mode, which I liked for shifting up the cassette a few cogs at a time.
running thumbies on my ogre, which too are great.
slightly

Post by slightly »

It all depends on the flare and the drop of the bar and the height of the stem. I have made the mistake in the past of buying a 'normal' width bar (in road bar terms) with a lot of flare, which left the bar ends set too wide/vulnerable to being knocked when riding with others/wing mirror etc. The effective width of the bar should be measured at the bar end-to-bar end (not at the top curve - as a road bar is).

Also check the drop against your normal flat bar height - you may need a higher angle stem to get the hand resting/gear change height to a satisfactory position to make gear changes fluent.

When you get the compromises right they're fantastic.

In a similar but different direction, I'm currently I'm playing about with a pair of Kelly Take-Offs - trying to find the perfect bar/flare/stem height.
Attachments
Kelly take Offs.jpeg
Kelly take Offs.jpeg (8.07 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
> r a n d o m e u r <
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks again for all the comments. Here's a link to the bike I have in mind. I guess I'm just wary of the 'distance' between the brake levers and the gear shifters, as I've always had both right next to each other! I'll​ mainly be doing touring rather than anything technical.

https://www.rei.com/product/109339/co-o ... -bike-2017
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Is Co-op the new REI house brand?
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

PaulB2 wrote:Is Co-op the new REI house brand?
I believe so