Cycling Apparel Brands - uni project research

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Cycling Apparel Brands - uni project research

Post by RIP »

Aye there's more than a grain of truth in that ^.

(shouts of "elitist" :wink: )
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

[Currently sat here in a checked shirt.]
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I wouldn't judge anybody for wearing a checked shirt( they're great at hiding the dirt) but if you're dangling a mug.... That's a whole different matter.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:01 pm [Currently sat here in a checked shirt.]
What brand, Chris? :smile:

[sat here in my BBB t-shirt. Ohhhh NO. We're a brand :o ].
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

pistonbroke wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:58 am Bikepacking is an oddball ridden subgroup of an oddball ridden subgroup, repeat ad infinitum. It's populated by a broad spread of individuals who seem to be drawn to it by vastly differing motives, the only common denominator being the desire not to conform to any stereotypes.
... as with any other sport. Well nearly...
Take mountaineering, trail running, kayaking, paragliding, skiing etc.
Absolutely nothing special with bikepacking.
Dude.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Landslide wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:01 pm [Currently sat here in a checked shirt.]
Love a check shirt me and have more than is sensible (some of them Alpkit :grin: ) but I don't think I've ever got "sendy" while wearing one, un-buttoned and flapping in the wind!
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

RIP wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:50 am
Alpinum wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:13 am Admit it...
Oh aye, having droned on about my ignoring brands, I'll have to admit like everyone else. To an extent.
Try not to flee from it by adding "to an extent".

Unless
RIP wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:50 amquantum-mechanics
you're thinking/living in multiverses. Then... well, yeah... things may be a bit different. And maybe not.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

AndreR wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:28 am "bikepackers" and "BB bikepackers"
Perhaps more "media and marketing style bikepackers" and "those that did it before 2007 style bikepackers"?

The "I brought a gravel bike, now I need bikepacking bags" kind of folks
vs.
the "back then, when I had to suck on a damp cloth for water, I took some fabric from a WW1 tent, stitched it up to shape a frame bag and off I went"?

The more I read here, the more proof is on display, that many of us indeed see themselves as something special.

So, as Trump said before the mess at the US capitol:

"You're special. I love you"

:wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

advising one of our number to engage in sex and travel after a mere 3 days
I don't remember that bit in the marketing spiel for your trip :smile: . If I'd spotted it I'd've been there like a shot
There's me thinking that my outburst had entered BB folklore. I was merely advising a certain cross dressing fireman of this parish that if he wanted to eat at an Italian restaurant when we were located in a grubby Aragon village on a drizzly Monday night, he'd be better served in Tuscany. :smile:
jameso

Post by jameso »

"I was into them way before their new album, they were better then, think they're starting to sell out.."
:smile:
I think bikepackers are the very antithesis of clubbable and may account for the recent suspicion of gravel biking as it seems to embrace roadie like group riding and the ensuing willy waving.
What is an ITT or the mass start ITTs then, the touring equivalent of a road racing W-W? ITTs came before gravel? *points at John Stamstad* "he started it!". He was a mountain biker I think. I don't think many parts of cycling are immune to ego, or not many of us either. Maybe trad touring is, and the bikepackers made it a W-W thing via ITTs. Gravel just widened the scope of Bikepacking.

Anyway. A bikepacking brand seems like a challenge if you're marketing down to customers but easy (relatively) if you're building up because you understand it. Swift Industries, Crust, Curve etc. Struggle to think of clothing brands in that area though and maybe there is something in the 'identity is via borrowed scraps of other identities' with this part of cycling that makes a bikepacking clothing line less likely.

The consumer behaviour aspect of the work interests me as I'm not at all structured in how I think about all this.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I don't think many parts of cycling are immune to ego, or not many of us either.
True. Folk will always find a way, even in...
trad touring...
e.g. LEJOG, Cape Wrath Fellowship...
stevew

Post by stevew »

jameso wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:27 pm
the bikepackers made it a W-W thing via ITTs.
But the ITT came before bikepacking? When JayP turned up to the 2007 GDR with bikepacking bags from Carousel Design Works, eveyone else with racks and backpacks had never seen such an obvious solution. Bikepacking wasn't even in the lexicon until the the US grand departs had been going a good few years.
bikepacking.png
bikepacking.png (36.76 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Stuff this, I’m off on my bike to sleep under the stars :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ :grin: Enjoy...

The ITT came before bikepacking if bikepacking means soft luggage vs racks - so in that case the racked-up tourers started it!

Started what again, I'm now asking myself? : )
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:53 pm Image

It's Robin fault!
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

stevew wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:29 pm I did a forum wordsearch on here to see how much folks talk about brands.
BB brand talk.jpg

I would say there is a lot of love for Alpkit here?

Why?
Do you not need to dig into the data a bit more than a word search? 5000 of the 5900 count probably came from 3 or 4 people ;)
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ooh. Good find.
jameso

Post by jameso »

It is isn't it? I'd heard the term closely followed backpacking but hadn't seen it in print earlier than the book you posted. I have a touring book with a 'rules for the bikepacker' chapter which covers lightweight back roads touring, from 1982 though.

I get the general point that it's become a renewed term since the recent boom, so history of the use is just out of interest for me.
ton

Post by ton »

re the checked shirt thing, i have been wearing short sleeved check shirts for years for riding. got about 10 from decathlon for £4 each. thin cotton nylon blend. dries in no time. ace for touring.

also i am a grandad 4x over, so surely i am allowed to wear some nice warm flannel check stuff................ :lol:
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

ton wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:23 am re the checked shirt thing, i have been wearing short sleeved check shirts for years for riding. got about 10 from decathlon for £4 each. thin cotton nylon blend. dries in no time. ace for touring.

also i am a grandad 4x over, so surely i am allowed to wear some nice warm flannel check stuff................ :lol:
Don't you hate it when something you've been doing for years and are really comfortable with suddenly becomes trendy and suddenly you're not as comfortable with it anymore. Or is that just me? :???:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Things always go in cycles...
ton

Post by ton »

Don't you hate it when something you've been doing for years and are really comfortable with suddenly becomes trendy and suddenly you're not as comfortable with it anymore. Or is that just me? :???:

man, when you look like me you tend to not bother or care much anymore.
i was built for comfort.............. :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When I was researching some stuff for my book, the NG article was the earliest reference I could find to 'bikepacking'. Aside from the Adshead book there's another called 'Backcountry Bikepacking' by William Sanders published in '82. The Adshead book does define bikepacking as something different to 'touring' and advocates self sufficiency, wild camping and travelling lightly. The Sanders book perhaps goes further and has sections on topics such as using tarps.

Although, there's no mention of 'bikepacking', books such as 'Adventure Cycling' by Ronald English published in the 50's were certainly pushing the message of travelling lightly loaded and only taking those things you need.
The more I read here, the more proof is on display, that many of us indeed see themselves as something special.
Do you think? I genuinely don't think anyone here views themselves as special ... although, I sometimes wonder if others outside of this place do.
May the bridges you burn light your way