Taylor

Re: Welsh Ride Thing 2012

Post by Taylor »

Thats all I need for WRT
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

That map is ACE!

Reading the posts its gutting that I can't make it this year. I'll be back when hopefully it returns to its proper calendar slot ;)
royAB

Post by royAB »

Hi flatfishy, that looks like just the thing to give Mrs B so she has some idea of where I might be - could I ask what point you you used as a center on OSmaps?
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Nice flatfishy. Had wondered about one myself, I reckoned the route would just fit, Not sure I could justify £17 though.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

You can get 10% off with code ST11OSCM
Make sure the O is the letter not zero.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

royAB wrote:Hi flatfishy, that looks like just the thing to give Mrs B so she has some idea of where I might be - could I ask what point you you used as a center on OSmaps?
SH 905 175

It JUST covers the start at the bottom missing off the most southern CP and also misses the most northern by 1 grid square if I recall. Otherwise everything is on there that we'll need for WRT.
I've plotted my route on 1:25 for the GPS and then work it onto the 1:50 for backup or on the fly route changes.
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

had both my computers re-formatted recently and when I try to install memory map, the CD does not work :x

fine for maps, does anyone know where I can download V4 or V5? ;)

G
royAB

Post by royAB »

Cheers flatfishy. More to spend on bike stuff! But Mrs B will feel better with a map to look at :)
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

griffdowg wrote:had both my computers re-formatted recently and when I try to install memory map, the CD does not work :x

fine for maps, does anyone know where I can download V4 or V5? ;)

G
Well check this.

you can download MM V4 for free through MM. They never give anything for free

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/dl_mm_OS_2004.htm

G
chris n

Post by chris n »

Just spent a very enjoyable afternoon plotting my route: 200km, 5500m of climbing, about 60/40 split off/on road and 13 of the GRs. Also passes the cafes at Lake Vyrnwy and Coed y Brenin and the chippy in Dol. 8-)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Haven't watched any yet but it may help some.

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Video ... rotherton/
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

If anyone has BitTorrent software I have a Memory Map torrent that is really useful ;)
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

not much chatter about route choices.

Got mine more or less there. Around 110km, taking in WP2, 4, 1, 16, 15, 14, 13, 17, 6, 5, 10. Basically up and back! around Lake Vern, up to 'Hellfire Pass'. Got 2 good looking overnight spots.

Looking like 40% offroad - Not bad on a 700c ;)

2 questions:

1st is food related :) does anyone know of anything in Foal for breakfast (looks like a post office), and then what's at Lake Vern (south) for Lunch/Tea :) I'm pretty Isolated through Monday. will try not to be the last one back like on the mach & Back!

2nd. I made the mistake of carrying a 1:50k as my backup last time, this time I would like to print off MM cards rather than buy 3 OS explorer maps (although Waterstones have 3 for 2 at the mo). Has anyone done this and how easy is it? It would help if I can save them here and print off in colour at work :D

G
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Here's mine:

WRT 2012 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

Around 145km. Routed it on Viewranger with Landranger mapping so not sure how rideable it is but can always jump on the road if it becomes a slog. I'll be carrying my GPS and have viewranger on my phone as backup with a custom OS map as backup.
I'll be carrying most of my food but it looks like i'll be passing close enough to a couple of places. Was planning on riding solo but guess most will be doing a similar route so will probably see a few people out there....
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Pretty much the same as our route there Griff although we get twelve WP's for a tad more mileage. :D
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

*I love looking at peoples routes ... I see the lines and start going, ooh you'll regret that and aah that's a great bit ;)

*I shouldn't really be saying this.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

s8tannorm wrote:*I love looking at peoples routes ... I see the lines and start going, ooh you'll regret that and aah that's a great bit ;)

I hope that's not directed at me!!! I did sign up for an adventure but I think i'll regret some of it! With no local knowledge, I just looked at the map and thought "oh that looks pretty..."
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

s8tannorm wrote:*I love looking at peoples routes ... I see the lines and start going, ooh you'll regret that and aah that's a great bit ;)

I looked and Dan's map pic and thought WHY? then I saw his Flickr user name as DKNWHY. :D
griffdowg wrote:
1st is food related :) does anyone know of anything in Foal for breakfast (looks like a post office), and then what's at Lake Vern (south) for Lunch/Tea :) I'm pretty Isolated through Monday. will try not to be the last one back like on the mach & Back!
If you mean Foel, it should be doable by teatime on day one unless you've forgotten something and pedalled back to Bristol. ;)
didnothingfatal

Forget route planning, has anybody ordered good weather? :?
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

flatfishy wrote:
griffdowg wrote:
If you mean Foel, it should be doable by teatime on day one unless you've forgotten something and pedalled back to Bristol. ;)
Well we will see how I go. I don't do much riding any more so 110km is a lot for me! Day 1=30km, Day2=42km, Day3=38Km. If I can push on on Day 1 I will. I remember on the M&B I was all set up by 5pm (just gone dark) and everyone around me was light on and pushing forward! I realised then that I had gotten it wrong.

With the longer hours we will see what transpires. Im better equiped this time with a 28/39 front set over the 34/52 I had on for the M&B. Also running 700x40c (29er x 1.6 :) ) this time around ;)

G
Nick

Post by Nick »

I won't see our route until just before the ride, but I'm led to believe it is around 117 miles, 10000ft of climbing, 19 checkpoints and pubs on Saturday and Sunday night 8-) think we'll be bivvying near the waterfall.
didnothingfatal

Routes via pubs! I managed to include a 65k road ride into my route :( not knowing the area, I just joined the dots, ended up miles away from start and just need to motor back to start!
chris n

Post by chris n »

Here's mine:
WRT1 by cnarborough, on Flickr

Riding anticlockwise, plan to spend Saturday night in Dyfnant forest, breakfast at the cafe at Vyrnwy (if it's open) on Sunday then off up the Berwyn ridge. Easy flat ride around Llyn Tegid watching the trains then off to Coed y Brenin for afternoon tea. No sure where I'll spend Sunday night - somewhere between Coed y Brenin and Corris, probably.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

somewhere between Coed y Brenin and Corris, probably.
Flatfishy and me had a good spot in some ancient woods above Dol' earlier this year.
May the bridges you burn light your way
chris n

Post by chris n »

Yep, I think I know the one you mean - just been checking out possible locations on getamap and google.