Tour Divide 2016

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnnystorm

Re: Tour Divide 2016

Post by johnnystorm »

Scattamah wrote:I have found the LOI is to light the fire under yer arse...it's the point where you really mean it. I really hope you folks get a clear run like this year...I wouldn't wish the 2014 weather on anyone.

Greetz

S.
I think booking the flights cemented my resolve a bit more than firing off an email! :lol:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

For me, booking the ticket was just part of the prep, but the LOI was my word that I was going to be there. I've opened my mouth and I'd better go through with it, kinda thing. Maybe I've been doing it all backwards :)

Greetz

S.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Scattamah wrote:For me, booking the ticket was just part of the prep, but the LOI was my word that I was going to be there. I've opened my mouth and I'd better go through with it, kinda thing. Maybe I've been doing it all backwards :)

Greetz

S.
Good point, I could just fly to the start and laugh at the mad fools riding. I would still have to get to Phoenix somehow to come home! :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Just had the final meeting with my manager after she'd had a word with HR - universities being universities things take time.

In sort - riding home to book flights this evening :)

32 days off to get there - race - then spend some time de-touring around Colorado. Best go write Matt a letter.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Nice one Greg. Always nice to have the support of work!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Very much so. I've been a bit nervous that HR would not want to play ball. Apparently this was quite far from their reaction - after the obvious WTF! reaction when they saw the route :)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

GregMay wrote:Just had the final meeting with my manager after she'd had a word with HR - universities being universities things take time.

In sort - riding home to book flights this evening :)

32 days off to get there - race - then spend some time de-touring around Colorado. Best go write Matt a letter.
vaguely exciting!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Nice one Greg.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Well done Greg. Think you have the beating of Mike Hall who is racing again this year a little bird tells me?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

GregMay wrote:Very much so. I've been a bit nervous that HR would not want to play ball. Apparently this was quite far from their reaction - after the obvious WTF! reaction when they saw the route :)
Same here too much to my surprise. Deputy Head dropped by today to look at the route on my classroom wall and chat about it.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ha, that's pretty cool. I imagine the kids think you're nuts.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Richard G wrote:Ha, that's pretty cool. I imagine the kids think you're nuts.
They think my ten mile each way commute is a mind boggling distance!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Blackhound wrote:Well done Greg. Think you have the beating of Mike Hall who is racing again this year a little bird tells me?
Kevin, Your little bird is talking through its arse if it thinks I've any chance of beating Mike! Nice to dream though.

Hopefully I'll post a decent time, but trip one is a reccie, after that I'll consider a faster run. Work have stipulated at least a one year gap before that can happen though :)
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

The 'little bird' was telling me Mike was riding. I was just contemplating your ambition. You will learn so much from a first run for a later challenge and a youngster like you has many more opportunities.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ahh good :)

I'd love to see Mike back, really had fingers crossed when I saw his name last year...then it came off again. We shall see.

But yes, plans are for a reccy run, then a fast run in 2018.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Greg, your plan to do a recce run is a good one. I have similar designs to go back for another stab at the race at a fast pace. I got lucky with the weather, and am aware that things could have been a lot slower, and I drank quite a lot of beer, but still did it in 21 days. I reckon 2018 might be my 'race' year too. sub 18 days.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Had a chat with my wife and others who raced the route after reccying it - we all agreed it was the way to do it. I still want to go fast ish first time, but definitely playing the long game on this. Weather permitting as you say. It's been...charachter building of late with training. Three crashes on ice on the way to work yesterday (43km of dirt) and then a freehub failure on the way home after 2hrs in the rain - thankfully less than a 500m scoot from the train station. Didn't have cash for train - made puppy eyes at conductor - then had to promise to pay this morning. Which I did.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

sub standard or bust for me, can't bank on getting another go.

That pace might not be too ferocious however......

Lol at the autocorrect! :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

johnnystorm wrote: That pace might not be too ferocious however......
:
I figure go fast so I can eat more :)
giryan

Post by giryan »

I'm having to postpone my TD ambitions, have bought a house with my GF, and we sat down to look at cash and I'm sad to say I really had to make the sensible decision to not do it this year :(
Still, more time for doing other trips in the UK, training, and working out details etc.. :)
MSE

Post by MSE »

Richpips wrote:I've added mine and my Son's details to the Google Doc. (over on BP.net)

Aiming to leave the New Mexican border ~1st August.

:wink:
August is the height of our monsoon season in Arizona and New Mexico. You might want to check with the MTBR New Mexico forums to see about the trail conditions during that part of the summer.

Mark
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

NewRetroTom wrote:A question for those who are doing it or have done it before: what insurance will you/did you use that will cover rescue and treatment for mountain biking injuries or sickness on the trail?

BMC cover it.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I had virgin travel ins. Covered me as I was technically 'touring'
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Similar to BMC - you're not racing.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I used BMC and paid for racing coverage as I had concerns about the level of legal BS in the States as well as the cost of medical care. It's not a high-risk ride but if something does go wrong it's could be animal bite, drunk-driver or face-plant at 11,000ft related so I went for as full cover as I could get, then forgot about it. I'm not sure you'd get far by saying to insurance company legal guys that you weren't racing if they decided to use that point to minimise payments. The TD isn't a race oficially but as far as your actions go, or in reasonable use of the word, it's debateable either way.