2012 Bivvy* a month challenge

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Anthony

Re: 2012 Bivvy* a month challenge

Post by Anthony »

Walk?

Pretty sure a lot of us have ridden through Welsh puddles deeper than that :lol:
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

I've posted up some pics & a brief write-up of our weekend in the Berwyns here... http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=10&t=623

Some amazing trails & scenery. Hard riding on a loaded bike, but very satisfying when the sun & the views come out.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very nice Mark ... I'd just like to say, anyone riding this years WRT and who'll be looking to get the miles in, would do well to take a good look at Marks post ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

s8tannorm wrote:Very nice Mark ... I'd just like to say, anyone riding this years WRT and who'll be looking to get the miles in, would do well to take a good look at Marks post ;)
The main reason we chose that area for this trip, as you'd alluded to it being relevant to this year's WRT a while ago :D
gairym

Post by gairym »

pedalhead,

looks like a hell of a nice ride!

that climb looked like a bugger too.

shame I can't make it for the WRT but maybe I'll hit this area next time I get a chance to head to Wales.

gairy.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Let us know when you plan to ride it if you fancy company. I'd certainly be up for another visit sometime.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Got out for my March trip at the weekend. We were riding the Rangers Path down Snowdon, so it all seemed to fit in nicely.

Be careful in the forest
Feeding Time by matthew.cockerham

Morning View with Snowdon hiding in the background
5 am by matthew.cockerham
Jack

Post by Jack »

Friday night (9th) saw the first bivvy of this month and the first of this year. Just a one night in the local hills (Shropshire) to test some new gear and have a short ride, in between doing college work, with a friend. Still good fun though and the weather wasn't too bad. Nothing like cooking and eating breakfast without leaving the sleeping bag. :D

Using a homemade frame bag which worked nicely (the first chance I've had to test it) but the stuff for making a harness for the bars has only just arrived, so I had to use sleeping bag stuff sacks on the bars and seat post as a temporary solution. Surprisingly successful though. Anyhow, that's March done.

slugwash

Post by slugwash »

I didn't think that I was allowed to post on this thread as I had a bivi free February. However, as late starter Jack has ^^ I'll also post up some piccies from the weekend's Dartmoor trip ;) ...

We Started off on the high moor but as a cold wind whipped up we sought shelter elsewhere...

Windfree destination down below....

Top bivi nosh...

Tested out the Jetboil at last that I got free with a subscription to Trail Mag....

Morning view from the bivi site...

Freezer bag cooked porridge not quite up to my usual standards (leper's gruel) ....

Water was not a problem.....

Errr, floating folding cup....

gairym

Post by gairym »

pedalhead wrote:Let us know when you plan to ride it if you fancy company. I'd certainly be up for another visit sometime.
Will do.

I'll be over Cymru way in early May but not sure what days I'll be around and so will have to get back to you.

Cheers.
gairym

Post by gairym »

slugwash, jack and chew,

them's some nice looking mini-adventures!

seems like there's a lot of us getting out there for this time of year.

'tis inspiring!

gairy.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Lovely spot there Slugwash!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Flatfishy and myself made the March bivvy with plenty of time to spare, a nice 2 night trip out in the hills of north Wales ... proof below that you shouldn't let an idiot be in charge of a camera ;)

Chew

Post by Chew »

Aprils trip already ticked off.

Decided to head to the Lakes, to try out some options ahead of my big summer trip to Scotland.

New Frame bag and Seat bag to try out. Need to work out the best way to pack everything in. Few ideas to reduce pack size, to try out next time.

Customery starting point for any adventure

Started in Stavaley, mostly road across to Windermere, and then took the ferry across to Grizdale forest, heading over to Elterwater for the night

Next day had to make my way over to the north side of the Lakes so followed the Cumbrian Trail over to Rossenthwaite. Great views from the top and surprisingly ridable most of the way down the other side to the amusement of a few walkers.

Cycled down and towards Keswick, to Whinlatter forest and around the back of Skiddaw, before finding somewhere to sleep for the night. The forest i had planed to sleep in had been receintly been felled, so found a nice sheep pen near, which was nicely out of the wind, but not the rain. Decided to chance it.....it rained.
Bivi's not really that waterproof and after contiuned showers it started to drip through into my down bag.
Not as bad as i feared, but not in a rush to repeat the experience. Next time the tarps always comming with me, or i'll make the effort to ride on an extra 5 miles to find some better natural shelter even if i'm knackered.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bivi's not really that waterproof and after contiuned showers it started to drip through into my down bag.
What bivvy bag were you using Chew?
Chew

Post by Chew »

I was being a bit optamistic with my hunka. It was still repelling water in the light drizzle, but it was also soaking through.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Are you sure it's not condensation?

Most 'breathable' bivvy bags I have owned have struggled to breathe well enough once wetted out.

That's my April. Just off the the top of Winhill in the Peak District. Tried to snow as we went to sleep and dropped low enough in the night to freeze all the puddles. It was a stunning blue sky dawn.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

After a long day on Saturday I pussied out of a first hang this year in Dalby before trailbuilding and AGM on Sunday. In hindsight I'm glad because I arrived at 09:00 to snow on the ground and freezing conditions.

Wuss :oops:
gairym

Post by gairym »

April -DONE!
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

April, me too. Trust knee is ok Gairy.
gairym

Post by gairym »

the drive last night wasn't fun but today it's feeling a little better.

unfortunately my attempts to get sympathy at home have come to nothing!
Chew

Post by Chew »

May's adventure Part 1...

Always prefer point-to-point adventures, especially ones that finish back home. Had friday off work so decided to make the most of it and loaded up the bike and rode to work.
After work its a short ride into town to catch the trail to Manchester to ride the Trans Pennine trail back home.

Some bits of the route are 'urban' but its nice to marvel at Victorian engineering

Under the Bridge by matthew.cockerham

Didnt get as far out of Manchester as i'd hope, so had to find somewhere before darkness fully descended. Awoke in the morning to a nice view, but was also rumbled by a few dog walkers.

Hid Away by matthew.cockerham

After that its more riding home. The trails a bit flat and straight, due to it mainly being based on old railway lines and canal tow paths, but its good to be out riding.
gairym

Post by gairym »

May trip - done!

Am writing up a little trip-report which i'll post in the appropriate location when i get a chance if anyone's interested.

That's 5 for 5 so far this year - 7 more months to go (with dates/places for June and July already planned)!

Is everyone else on target to achieve a 'bivi a month' for 2012....?
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Well done gairy.

I managed mine last week, up into the White Peak. Took one boring pic of the trip.

I have managed 5/5 and June will be WRT.
Chew

Post by Chew »

5/5 for me too. WRT for June.