BB200 2014 - congratulations and thank you

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave42w

Re: BB200 2014 - congratulations and thank you

Post by Dave42w »

Blackhound wrote:Dave if you email me at kevin DOT cunniffe AT gmail DOT com I can send you gpx files for 100 and 200 mile routes. Some hike a bike and big puddles but fairly remote and you can stay in bothies etc and do not need a tent unless you want to.
Thanks. Have done so.
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

I'm still trying to work out how I can spend two days cursing for entering the BB and yet now very glad to have done it. It is this dangerous feeling that makes you enter the next year having chanted for 30 hours like a monk "must never put myself through this again"

I'd like to claim the numpty prize having decided to go direct back to base 30 miles before the end (ran out of time) and ending up riding further than anyone. 150 total miles I think.

Also, having lectured Gairy on the art if minimal packing pre race I returned my half kilo Xmas cake, 3 bags of sweets,4 sandwiches, block of cheese and selection of gels to the kitchen cupboard. I spent £200 lightning my sleeping bag arrangement. There is a lesson there somewhere.

Thank you for the opportunity to discover my limits, meet new friends and prove I'm not normal.

See you next......no,must resist.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I spent £200 lightning my sleeping bag arrangement.
But did you take your pillow?
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

Fantasticmrmatt wrote:
I spent £200 lightning my sleeping bag arrangement.
But did you take your pillow?
No, I'm clever so saved 50g. :)
composite

Post by composite »

Firstly big thanks to Stu and Dee for all the hard work. Genuinely appreciated. :-bd

As a challenge I really enjoyed it and I enjoyed the level of challenge ie. something that was hard enough for it to be genuine challenge for me to try to finish sub 24. Which I didn't do.

What I didn't like is that I wanted a mountain bike challenge and I'm not so sure that's what we got from the majority of the route this time. Pretty much everything from the first hike-a-bike onwards was just horrendous hike-a-bike and the tarmac linking it. Everything before that I loved, even the up hill pushes as there was then genuine mountain bike terrain afterwards. I actually wouldn't be against some hike-a-bike like say the bit near Bala. It was difficult on a number of levels (tussocky, boggy, tricky to navigate, stream crossings) but was not overly long and not totally horrendous. It's what is good about the Roman Camp crossing and Carnau on the 2012-13 route.

i think though Stu you are in a very difficult position. If the route is only ever going to be based around 200km then to make it a mostly riding challenge (2012-13 style routes) then I think there is no way that you will ever really test (as in sub24) the fast guys and more than likely even the 2nd tier type guys like myself who were still finishing the 2013 route well within 24 hours. However bump the distance to something bigger or stick in loads of very long arduous hike-a-bike (for instance) and there is clear danger of alienating those who have finishing as their goal. I guess this year that there were not a lot of people who were in that category that finished? (Total guess work though, is that fair comment?)

One thing to add here though and picking up on mountainbakers point (as Nigel and I discussed the exact same thing on the way back Sunday) if it is to be a more elitist event (ie a challenge to the fastest riders) then actually I don't think there is anything wrong with that. There are already several other events on the bearbones calender that are very much inclusive type events so I really don't see why having one that isn't is a problem. However knowing you and also that you have the green badges for finishing I think you do want to be inclusive so...

I think if it's doable then organizing it like Ian did with the gravel races (that never were) and having 2 options with the harder (longer) one branching off and rejoining I think might be a way to go. Maybe the hard option is only open to current black badge holders, it might be 300km or 400km (depends if you want to "force" riders to bivi), maybe the badges change for the long version (a coloured border?). Anyway I get this would be a lot of extra work, however I guess most people wouldn't be against rehashes of large sections of the old routes. Just some ideas to go into the pot.

Anyway thought I would save the last paragraph of this to mention that I have had some serious issues with my feet this week. My toes froze and thawed quite a few times over Saturday night and the doctor confirmed today that I have been suffering from Frost nip which is a mild form of frost bite. Been laid up all week with my feet in warm water. The pain has eased some now and the worst of the swelling has gone down but all my toes are still numb and I can't really walk properly. Surprisingly my legs have actually felt OK, they are a bit sore for sure but no where near what I was expecting from a 25hour and 50min single sitting.
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

is the 200 a mountain bike race / event or an adventure race?

I kind of viewed it as somewhere in between.

I really like the idea of having a route with a split (like the Two Tonnes of gravel was going to be) to cater for those who want to test themselves initially at a slightly reduced level with a view to a) learning lots about themselves / kit etc but b) to progressing up to the full distance at some point. However, I cant even imagine how hard that would be hard to organise.

This 200 was the hardest thing that I have done on a bike to date. But that's what I wanted to be honest as its what I have personally been moving towards and have been training for for quite a while now. I wanted to turn up for an event that I know I will be working right up against the limit and maybe not even enjoying at times but, after dragging myself across the line, will think it was the best thing ever. That's what I got. In spades.

In my view there is nothing to criticise about this year (not that all are btw!). People must know that this is the event on the BB calendar where its more about really testing yourself than an out and out long distance social.

Already planning for next year!
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Well said Pete. I think there is nothing wrong with an overtly challenging route that blurs mountain biking with the skill of travelling quickly through difficult terrain. I enjoyed the route and hope for something in a similar vein next year.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

This was my first BB200 and the first time I've done anything like it. I was expecting a proper challenge and some serious hike a bike and I wasn't disappointed. TBH the difficulty of the terrain did take me by surprise but, in my view, that's a positive. I came for an adventure and you don't get that without challenge and nasty surprises.

A route with more rideable off-road, a bit less road and maybe a few less tussocks but some other curve balls thrown in would be perfect for me.

A new route each time also seems like a great plan to keep the adventure levels high.

I was one of those who set out with no illusions about getting a black badge. My goal was always to finish. That said, I'm already thinking about tactics for a faster time next year ...

Thanks again to Stu for a top event.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Touching on some of Neil's comments above regarding completion time for quick and slow perhaps something like the Bob Graham Round (BGR) could act as an example.

The BGR (link below for reference) is a set route unlike BB200 and the challenge is to do it in sub 24 hours. The record is a little under 14 hours and some 1,800 have completed the challenge over the years. 20+ years ago it was in my sights but I never really started to prepare for it, then I got injured and it will never happen now.

What I am trying to say is that for fast guys like Ian doing it in ~14 hours means that it is accessible for many others to do it in <24. Finishing within say 30 hours gives 2 days out in the hills and home for work on Monday for most. Once the fast guys are doing 20-22 hours then 36-40 hours for some is not unlikely and then still have to get home. As Pete was saying it is deciding what the event is and what / who the event is challenging and go from there.
Depending on course it may be possible to have one allowable short cut to have a 'BB lite' although personally I would prefer one big course which you complete or don't. Numbers of riders is probably an issue somewhere and 2 courses may mean more people show up putting pressure on facilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Graham_Round.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Stu, how you getting on with demolishing that kitchen wall? :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu, how you getting on with demolishing that kitchen wall?
Oh the joys of spring water ... lovely mineral deposits blocking the feed to the kitchen. Pipes now re-plumbed / replaced and supply back but the wall's not happy :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

If you need some wattle and daub....I can point you at four good sources of wattle
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
composite

Post by composite »

slowupslowdown wrote:is the 200 a mountain bike race / event or an adventure race?

I kind of viewed it as somewhere in between.
I didn't quite make my point clear saying mountain bike challenge that's my bad. I agree also that I would want a somewhere in between style race, hence my comments about not minding some hike-a-bike. Predominantly though I think it is a riding a bike off road type challenge. I think this because of the route for the previous 3 years not because of just my interpretation of what I think it should be about. If it is going to change in that respect from year to year then fair enough it's just my expectation was based on previous years.
Possibly if there had been more off road between the tussock hopping or more rewarding riding in between then I maybe wouldn't have mentioned it.

One good thing is though that I had been trying to route a "lap of wales" type route and had included the second and third hike-a-bike sections in that so I'm glad I now know whats there. :grin:
Mattie_H

Post by Mattie_H »

It's a bit late, but I finally got round to writing up a blog post on this year's BB200: it's at http://tricksterprince.wordpress.com/20 ... 4-edition/.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Nicely put, Mattie. Was it you I visited the Trawsfynnyd pub with?
Mattie_H

Post by Mattie_H »

Charliecres wrote:Nicely put, Mattie. Was it you I visited the Trawsfynnyd pub with?
The terrifying place where the women were dancing on the tables to techno and the massed drunken hordes of the rugby club poured off the coach in a way that made it feel like the start of a particularly bad Channel Five horror film?

Yeah, that was us.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Great write up. I think we all shared those emotions throughout the ride. The sunset was fantastic on Saturday evening.
Mattie_H

Post by Mattie_H »

slarge wrote:Great write up. I think we all shared those emotions throughout the ride. The sunset was fantastic on Saturday evening.
Thanks Steve. I meant to write about the sun slowly coming up and the light lifting on the Sunday morning as well.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Mattie_H wrote:It's a bit late, but I finally got round to writing up a blog post on this year's BB200: it's at http://tricksterprince.wordpress.com/20 ... 4-edition/.
Enjoyed that, cheers. The feeling of relieve rather than satisfaction on complete was something I felt on the Lakes 200, so I know exactly where you're coming from!
Mattie_H

Post by Mattie_H »

Ian wrote:
Mattie_H wrote:It's a bit late, but I finally got round to writing up a blog post on this year's BB200: it's at http://tricksterprince.wordpress.com/20 ... 4-edition/.
Enjoyed that, cheers. The feeling of relieve rather than satisfaction on complete was something I felt on the Lakes 200, so I know exactly where you're coming from!
Thanks Ian! When we got back to the community centre all I could think was 'thank feck that's done with.' If I was a bit out of it when we were chatting then that's why!
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Looking at the route I see that one of the tussock slogs is where I sometimes take the dogs. You poor, poor buggers.

Even my dogs hate me afterwards, so well done everyone.
thesloth

Post by thesloth »

Here's my report. A bit long, but when you stop for 12hrs it becomes a long ride.
http://southwestern-swrc.blogspot.co.uk ... s-200.html