Bivvy a month 2014 thread.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Re: Bivvy a month 2014 thread.

Post by ianfitz »

ianfitz wrote:I'm continuing my run from last year and got the first one in. very enjoable despite challengin weather at times...

Train to Rochdale to pick up the MTL, up the PBW diverted to Nelson to eat chinese food in a bus shelter in the rain. onwards to Horton-in-ribblesdale. BIvy on the flanks of penyghent, forgot full count of pegs so had to bicycle tarp in a jaunty style, Mark - thanks for the loan but your lightweight bivy bag is NOT water proof! bloody PYG cafe not open in the morning despite winter opening times saying it should be... bands of heavy cloud blowing across every 40 mins, either rain, slush, hail or snow and fierce cross wind. divert on to roads and drop (and drop) into Dent dale, see post van swoop over a tiny hump back bridge by bend in the road after having postman pat theme tune as an earworm for the hour before hand :-) drip dry in pub then onwards to kendal to stay with old fell running buddy who has moved back up there to semi retire. Friday up to long sleddale (beautiful!) ride/push/carry over garburn pass, great decent down to haweswater, back roads then over the top to pooley bridge (pie stop!) then steady climb up over back roads to pick up the old coach road down to threkeld, then over to mUngrisdale where was staying with family and fell running mates for the weekend.

my highest ever mileage for a week - nudging 300km and 7000m

The ride was 257km/6400m in 21 hours over the three days, t'was windy, rainy, draggy tyres, mud and soft ground aplenty with a heavier than needed load. 12.25kmh happy with that :-)

EDIT - still hardly took any pictures!!
Have just found out how to upload to Flickr via the unique email address.

Still need to find out how to get the pictures to appear here but there's a couple at http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/ian_fitz/12265457385/ and http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/ian_fitz/12265802064/
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Couldn't get the links to work, you'd need to sign in :|
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Thanks SR

What do I need to put in between the [img] to get them to display? I tend to use iPhone to look at t'interweb so sometimes don't alway see all the available option
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You need the URL of the image - the bit that ends in .jpg

Easy on a PC as you can just right-click to get it. Dunno how to do it from your iPhone.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I can do it easy enough on my PC but have never discovered how to do it on my tablet.
Mike

Post by Mike »

3/2 for me, as decided to head out to Stuarts and make the most of what looked like a break in the rain on Sunday/Monday. So after a good natter and a brew from Mr BB himself i headed out to Hafren then down to Nantsyddion but as it was still fairly early rode up out of forest and upto Nant y moch and onto the winter bivy site for the night. Had a extremely windy sleep but no rain!

Once id got the fire going i was lovely n toastie
The wind had blown some trees down which made for a great bivy spot, i made two supports from the felled tree and ive stashed then on top off the root base so if anyone else is out there make use of them, preferably not as fire wood though ;)
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Heading out on Friday for a local (North Downs) bivy. Forecast is WET and I'm thinking my 1.5x2 tarp may not be ideal. Still, I'm sure I'll learn lots...
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Charliecres wrote: Forecast is WET and I'm thinking my 1.5x2 tarp may not be ideal .
Set up in a low a frame style you'll be ok as long as it's not blowing a gale, have fun.
Mike

Post by Mike »

What ever the weather it will be great im sure and it beats sitting in the house!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Set up in a low a frame style you'll be ok as long as it's not blowing a gale, have fun.
Something like this should keep you dry no matter what the weather's doing ... obviously you'll not be hosting any parties in there though.

May the bridges you burn light your way
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

@yetiman
What mat is that and did you stash everything on the bike or did you have a bag too?
Cheers
Pete
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Wow! That's some snazzy pitching, Stu. Not sure my tarp skills are quite up to that yet but I'm sure I'll be fine. Quite looking forward to testing the gear out properly and I'll be near enough home to just run away if it all goes life-threateningly pear-shaped. :)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Charliecres wrote:Heading out on Friday for a local (North Downs) bivy. Forecast is WET and I'm thinking my 1.5x2 tarp may not be ideal. Still, I'm sure I'll learn lots...
Where you heading?
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Wimped out :oops:

A couple of us were heading out from Dorking over to St Martha's area but it just didn't seem like it was likely to be fun, given the apocalyptic forecast,

This means I HAVE to bivy in the last week of Feb. Think I need to plan something further afield to make it worthwhile whatever the weather.
Mike

Post by Mike »

slowsup.... its a exped UL synmat 7. Yes i had a wingnut 2.5 pack on aswell however all i had in it was my mug, adventure foods rehyd meal, my water filter and a primaloft rab vest incase so not alot really most of it was on the bike. Oh my cereal bars and choc was in the pack to. hope this helps
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

2/2

Decided to get train yo Holyhead and head home over a couple of days using mostly Sustrans tracks.

Well I got to Holyhead ok and got yet another puncture after 14km. (get 1+ per ride on this bike, need to source some different tyres - Kenda Kommando)

[urlImage
P2191282 by blackhound59, on Flickr][/url]

Set off on NCN8, went over the Menai Bridge and up to Bangor and carried along the coast to Prestatyn on NCN5. It was starting to rain so I took shelter under the canopy of a cafe. Up at 6.15 and then went over the Clwydian hills and onto Flint. I was finding it tough going and on the 7 mile run into Chester on an old railway line I was struggling to keep the bike rolling at 17/18kph. The slightest incline had me in my lowest gear and out of the saddle so I called it a day in Chester.

I feel fine but I should not be in that condition so in case I am going down with something decided to get train home. I had hoped to either get home or maybe stop short and camp out a second night on or near Cannock Chase.
composite

Post by composite »

I reckon you feeling a little ropey was a blessing in disguise. Cannock Chase is not somewhere to bivi. Sure go for a ride there and even a night ride... just make sure you don't stop moving. :???:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

s8tannorm wrote: Image
Stu, how was this pitched at it's highest point (on the right) please?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Cannock chase?? have you had problems in the past Neil? I was gonna bivy there when i went upto the lakes!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu, how was this pitched at it's highest point (on the right) please?
It's just a pole on the inside John. As long as you place something over the end, it won't harm the fabric ... I usually use a glove but a ping-pong ball cut in half works well, if you find it slips around on the fabric just dab some seam sealer on it.

It looks like the front pole is around 90cm long.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I would have thought the Chase would have been fine. It is enormous and lots of quiet spots away from the doggers and the night riders.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

2/2
Ride from Tywyn over the tops then into Penrhos Isaf in Coed Y Brenin forest.
Quiet night in the bothy except for the ghost crashing around at about 4.30am.
Read the bothy book and who was there the night before????
John Climber and Barney!!
Could have swept the place though.

Nice and dry ride. :grin:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ghosts? glad i wasnt there then. Did you go and have a look around to see what the noise was, id of s*"t myself haha.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

All I heard at Penrhos Isaf was Mark's snoring and a mouse under the floor boards