Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Re: Riding on Monday?

Post by Bearlegged »

AndreR

Post by AndreR »

I'me enjoying this tread and the opinions/stances taken by the contributors. I don't feel the need to queue to be in the same place as a dead person but fully respect that some people do, and while there will be a load of spurious reasons for doing so I am sure that there are just as many valid personal reasons some will have for doing this. It pleases me that we don't hear these stories as they are very personal and no business of anyone but the individual. Label it a weird if you wish, we all have our own fair share of weird and my faith in humanity is restored when I see people prepared to let their weird out in public, do what they feel is right for them with little regard for anyone else opinion. There is a bravery and confidence in self there that I like and respect. It is very hard to be an individual in the world we live in.

What I don't like is the people who sit on the couch doing and risking nothing while criticizing everything they see. They are nothing kind of people and seem to have an issue with everyone and everything that isn't nothing with them. (Present company excluded of course :grin: ) Questioning what individuals do and why they do it in a respectful way is fine and right, failing to understand what they do or why they do it is also fine provided they are not judged because of your lack of understanding or disagreement and you allow them to continue to do what they believe is right (provided it harms no one else) Labeling them as fools etc. because you don't understand or disagree is not acceptable, deciding that what they do works for them but not for you is, in my opinion, also perfectly acceptable.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

That letter sums up my feelings (bit of a nothing person tbh).
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I dont see anything brave in what they are doing if this was North Korea ,and it was dear leaders death, would those out wailing be the brave ones or the ones holding up signs?
Its ironic you call people "nothing people" whilst telling us you dont like them and then tell us
Questioning what individuals do and why they do it in a respectful way is fine and right, failing to understand what they do or why they do it is also fine provided they are not judged because of your lack of understanding
I dont think you are following your own advice

Finally if we were all out protesting and demanding a republic we would just be insulted for being disrespectful so all we can do is moan from a couch as folk are getting arrested and warned for blank papers .

Ps card carrying member of republic so a bit more than sat on couch and actively, but politely and middle classly asking for a better more modern world.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:25 am I dont see anything brave in what they are doing if this was North Korea ,and it was dear leaders death, would those out wailing be the brave ones or the ones holding up signs?
Its ironic you call people "nothing people" whilst telling us you dont like them and then tell us
Questioning what individuals do and why they do it in a respectful way is fine and right, failing to understand what they do or why they do it is also fine provided they are not judged because of your lack of understanding

Finally if we were all out protesting and demanding a republic we would just be insulted for being disrespectful so all we can do is moan from a couch as folk are getting arrested and warned for blank papers .

Ps card carrying member of republic so a bit more than sat on couch and actively, but politely and middle classly asking for a better more modern world.
Eh?

:???:
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:16 am That letter sums up my feelings (bit of a nothing person tbh).
I disagree Dave, I don't know you personally but from looking at your contributions on her you clearly have thoughtful points of view rather than a dogmatic my way or the high way point of view not all of which are going to be universally accepted yet you are still prepared to share them. You have been known to understand another view point without feeling you need agree with it. I agree with a lot in that letter by the way, but still suspect there are people in that crowd for very personal and valid reasons as well.

AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:25 am I dont see anything brave in what they are doing if this was North Korea ,and it was dear leaders death, would those out wailing be the brave ones or the ones holding up signs?

I think there are people in the crowds in London who are there for valid personal reasons who will be judged and labeled as "grief tourists" Virtue signaler" etc for eing there yet have still gone because for them those personal reasons are more important than what others will think. I'm not sure how this compares with North Korea?

We are all free to look at other points of view and decide if we agree or not and I have chosen not to agree with the judge's and haters who seem to find a way to fault nearly everything in the world. I don't point this out or shout about it other than to mention here as it is relevant to this discussion.

You have every right to think a republic is better than the current situation and have every right to be out there trying to bring about change to achieve that. Other people have every right to disagree with you and every right to work to maintain the current system. We can argue at length about the how but I don't think that is for this thread! At no point do you sound like you are sat on your couch yelling abuse at everything on the telly and doing nothing else?

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I think the last para of that article probably sums up some / many /a few of those mourning and possibly why they are doing so "Only those you knew and touched can testify your worth". I suspect for many they *feel* either that she touched them (it's all those walkabouts. I am also avoiding Andrew-jokes) and they know her due to her very, very long presence in the public eye, magnified by the media etc.

I do not doubt there is also a large degree of horseshit, grief-gasm and all that nonsense going on.

HYOH (but with a bit of compassion and courtesy, IMO)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It came up on a video that 86% of the population of the UK were born after QE2 came to the throne. Also (but it’s a bit hard to work out exactly because the data hasn’t been filtered that way) the same applies to somewhere in the ballpark of 92% of the world population. That’s a lot of people for whom she’s been a constant if non-personal presence. You’d also need to be eight to ten years older to actually remember a different UK monarch.

I’m neither a monarchist nor a republican, if someone wishes to mourn her death then I’ve no problem with that but equally no one should feel pressure to do so nor be ostracised for not doing so. LBC’s James O’Brian had a rant about this: “rabid dogs bullying people” as he put it.

I had a quick scan, I didn’t have my glasses, of yesterday’s I newspaper - the first 17 pages were devoted to QE2, no doubt the rabid dogs had yet another “special commemorative edition” in their attempt to drum up national hysteria and get their editor some sort of gong upgrade
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Stu wrote: I have an inquisitive mind and like to know how things (including people) work. It's something of a burden really, as I mostly find myself bewildered and continually more confused. :wink:
Glad to find someone else suffering/enjoying this burden, although I knew it'd be you all along :smile: .

Interesting thread this, and it's pleasant that all of us in This Place can play nicely together with only sparing deployment of pandas.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

RIP wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:14 am
Stu wrote: I have an inquisitive mind and like to know how things (including people) work. It's something of a burden really, as I mostly find myself bewildered and continually more confused. :wink:
Glad to find someone else suffering/enjoying this burden, although I knew it'd be you all along :smile: .

Interesting thread this, and it's pleasant that all of us in This Place can play nicely together with only sparing deployment of pandas.
I might ruin it now Reg by giving some personal context for my particular hatred of this spectacle.

My Dad served in the RAF as a pilot from the age of 17 to forced retirement at 55 years old. He fought in two wars (Gulf and Falklands), flying his plane through gunfire, scud and exocet attacks. He partook in numerous humanitarian efforts, landing in risky areas and warzones to deliver aid. I remember him telling me of the hand grenade that bounced out of the back of his Hercules. He was decorated several times for bravery including an event when he saved his plane and crew after the rudder cable became disengaged.

I got a call from my sister in Feb 2020 that Dad was going rapidly downhill. He was in a care home at the time. We rushed to his side and sure enough, he was slowly drowning due to fluid entering his lungs. The medical staff advised it was terminal so we had no GP visit and Dad took several hours to die. Luckily we were there by his side, but it was just us. No support bar a care worker offering us tea.

Dad's funeral was a pandemic affair. A few close family, nothing else. No RAF flag, no representation from the state, not one single thing to recognise his years of service, the risks he took for his country, not even a letter of condolence. Nothing at all.

I then have to sit through a near-state funeral and mourning period for an old fella who did a bit of a walk round his garden and what is going on today.

This is selective recognition of those who serve. Dad is not the only one and there are countless other examples. So hopefully you can understand why this really sticks in my craw.

I guess I am a recognition communist if such a thing exists?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Boab

Post by Boab »

I've got a really good panda picture waiting to be deployed, looking forward to seeing this one go South...
https://demnext.org/
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:14 am

You should see the woodworkers forum Reg. One long standing member has flounced already (after announcing it, best way innit') and many others are constantly threatening the chap that dared say 'it should be in the controversial topics section'. Lots of 'get off your high horse' and 'it's cold up there is it' going on.

But, on here and the pandas... There's still time :smile: (let it be know that I removed a grin and lol icon the other day, on here, to ensure it doesn't entice anyones hatred).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a really good panda picture waiting to be deployed, looking forward to seeing this one go South...
Have they no larger text?
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:10 pm
You'd think so. They've deployed every font type possible on one page!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Dave - that is proper rough. My old man got a visit to his funeral but I think that was mostly because he left his old Reg' a bequest :roll: :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ranting and raving in a woodworkers forum? Surely they're the Vic n Bob Gone Fishing of the craft world. You'd imagine their blood pressures would be at the bottom end of the scale.

I can certainly understand your rage Dave, I remember you sharing with us at the time, not nice at all. My own parents are in a distressing situation so I have a very good idea how you feel. A pub conversation not a forum one. I guess the only point I was making was us lot Here generally allow each other to have views and opinions and discussions without getting too shirty and long may that continue, and this in no small part is due to Stu's stewardship.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:10 pm
Optimised for mobile I guess.
Looks like a dogs dinner on desktop though...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

RIP wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:40 pm Ranting and raving in a woodworkers forum? Surely they're the Vic n Bob Gone Fishing of the craft world. You'd imagine their blood pressures would be at the bottom end of the scale.

I can certainly understand your rage Dave, I remember you sharing with us at the time, not nice at all. My own parents are in a distressing situation so I have a very good idea how you feel. A pub conversation not a forum one. I guess the only point I was making was us lot Here generally allow each other to have views and opinions and discussions without getting too shirty and long may that continue, and this in no small part is due to Stu's stewardship.
I echo your thoughts there RIP and put this down to active forum members being mostly rational and intelligent people which is what makes This Place what it is (I am not always rational or intelligent and apparently only have the very occasional rational or intelligent spell according to many who know me before anyone feels I'm slandering them!)

redefined_cycles

Here generally allow each other to have views and opinions and discussions without getting too shirty and long may that continue, and this in no small part is due to Stu's stewardship.
Totally agree and something I've contemplated many a time. Don't get me wrong Reg, it does seem like most threads on there aren't in need of (what's the panda equivalent for a woodworkers?) a bonsai tree. But mentioning the Queen etc and something seemed to have flipped... A right few nasty threatening comments (or maybe that's just the norm!).
redefined_cycles

BTW, Dave... sorry to hear that story of yours...
redefined_cycles

NB. Reg, I feel as though I misrepresented wood workers somewhat. So... Meet Mark :-bd (it's very relevant and uplifting).

https://youtu.be/4IblRBJMh-k
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Dad's funeral was a pandemic affair. A few close family, nothing else. No RAF flag, no representation from the state, not one single thing to recognise his years of service, the risks he took for his country, not even a letter of condolence. Nothing at all.

I then have to sit through a near-state funeral and mourning period for an old fella who did a bit of a walk round his garden and what is going on today.

This is selective recognition of those who serve. Dad is not the only one and there are countless other examples. So hopefully you can understand why this really sticks in my craw.

I guess I am a recognition communist if such a thing exists
I'm surprised there wasn't something from his former squadron or the various associations even if it's just a wreath. They aren't the "state" as such as there is something semi arm's length when you get down to it for the forces which usually means that they get less than they should.

The head fell off common sense during Covid and unfortunately lots of people said goodbye in a way that wasn't fitting for the lives lived by those who were lost. The performative nature of a lot of it rubbing salt into the wounds.

I'm fine with the ceremonial aspect of the state funeral , the crowds are just part of it, the TV/radio interviews are unfortunately a bit brainless and pointless. I won't be watching it on telly, I don't personally have a need to. Planning to ride or something, not going to make a song and dance about it or others choices. It's a moment that connects hundreds of years of history for good or ill and it just needs to play out.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Not sure I'll be riding, but certainly won't be paying any attention to what's going on in Westminster.
I fully respect the years/decades of service she gave to a destiny she felt was hers. It's of no interest to me personally though, and it would be nice if the family paid some inheritance tax.
I think the queue/hysteria is just FOMO, but each to their own.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Been riding since 7am. Lots of folks out walking and biking in the last couple of hours. Had no adverse comments
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry