Monster or Gravel WKR - Probably Ti

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Monster or Gravel WKR - Probably Ti

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's just so many variables to consider that alter what each of us think and how we perceive something, that it's hard to single out one component as something which is suitable or not. What constitutes 'off-road'? What is a 'gravel bike'? Why is a small tin of spam only 13p cheaper than a large tin? Just so many questions and no single correct answer exists to any of them. There is nearly always more than one version of the truth.

There is a joy to be found in riding an ill-suited bike but there's also a joy in riding something which is perfectly suited to the terrain. Some folk will only ever stand on one side of that fence. Others will jump it from time to time and if I'm honest, it doesn't really matter :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Why is a small tin of spam only 13p cheaper than a large tin?
Now were talking :grin:
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

And if anyone can point me in the direction of forks with cage/pannier/fender mounts that'll take 700x50c its he appreciated.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

jameso wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:08 am
lune ranger wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:53 am
jameso wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:27 am
I think that the limitations of the drops are about equal to the limitations of the 40mm tyres
I just don’t get that argument - drop bars being a problem bikepacking. Sure if you are riding a DH or trail centre or racing XC but not for what most of us are regularly bike packing or for riding long days in the hills.
Even my (modest by current standards) 46cm fared drop is wider than I would have had on an MTB 10or15 years ago. I personally have never once thought ‘I could have ridden that if only I had wider bars’
Just to clarify, I was agreeing with another post in general, it's just my take and worth no more than anyone else's. If I make a point on why I think (for ex) drops detract from my ability to handle a bike off-road and might as well be matched to tyres that work in a matched terrain range, it's just an opinion or my experience. If it's read as detracting from someone's choice that's not how it's intended. I ride a rigid SS off-road most of the time, what sort of example about practicality over experience is that... : )

I find this whole topic interesting from a design thinking pov as well as the massively subjective outcomes of bike spec, design and use. I do have some strong opinions in these areas and that's a risky place for an aspiring creative/designer to be - far better to be open minded to change and influence. At the same time if I can't take a position on something from experience or at least good theory then what good am I in this area. And not being able to see the value in the counter-points would be even more of a failure. Juggling act of sorts.
Absolutely valid point.
Must have been my time of the month yesterday
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Piemonster wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:45 am And if anyone can point me in the direction of forks with cage/pannier/fender mounts that'll take 700x50c its he appreciated.
Surly must do something in steel that fits that bill
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Piemonster wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:45 am And if anyone can point me in the direction of forks with cage/pannier/fender mounts that'll take 700x50c its he appreciated.
Pipedream have a cro-mo one

https://www.pipedreamcycles.com/shop/crmo-forks/

There's a carbon one but I don't think it has a mudguard mount.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Whisky No 9 MCX
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

The V2 ti Camino fork does. It has separate mudguard eyelets behind the axle, three cage mounts on each leg and clearance for 700x50 (I'm running 700x43 Gravel King SKs with full SKS mudguards and have plenty of room).
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Interesting discussions/squabbles on the OP subject. I think Stu's right really, there's no right or wrong. For me personally I draw the line at 700x43, bars level with saddle (currently Genetic Drisers 14s but will be swapped to Redshift Kitchen Sink bars in 47cm width as soon as ID get them in). I've toyed with the idea of a dropper which would really open up technical riding off road but I'm fortunate to have a choice of fantastic 29er mountain bikes that would do that job so much better. Where do you draw the line? I want my gravel bike to double as a comfy road bike (I have a spare set of wheels with 32mm road tyres for road riding) so I'm not going to go too far down the drop bar mountain bike route. Not saying I'm right and others are wrong but it suits my circumstances and riding.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

On the forks.

I should probably wait until it’s actually been designed. There’s a mahoosive list on Bikepacking too.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Presumably you can do it either way of you are designing it /cgetting it designed as you can design around the A-C of the fork - suppose it depends on whether there is much difference n fork price between what you like .

Dont really know much about rigid forks though or their prices.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Piemonster wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:51 pm I should probably wait until it’s designed
Ooo custom, exciting! Looking at my Fargo there are many things I’d do differently if going custom.
I’d increase the length of the head tube by about 50mm, I’m never going to want the bars any lower.
I’d have the down tube exit the bottom bracket horizontally for a while like the cutthroat to increase frame bag size, for the same reason have the top tube a little closer to horizontal.
T47 bottom bracket.
Bigger seat tube for access to mainstream dropper posts.
Internal routing including rear dynamo light cable.
Triple bottle on the seat stays, also top tube mounts for a bolt on top tube bag.
I’d also have a couple of water bottle bosses on the down tube high up like the Curve GMX+ , a neat solution which allows twin bottles with a full frame bag.
100mm suspension corrected, I like the option of a bouncer fork.
I’d also make it Di2 compatible, having run SRAM AXS for over a year I’m a convert to electronic shifting.

Dare say I’d still be slow up hill though :wink:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

But you’d be unstoppable downhill :-bd