BB200/300 packed bike weigh-in thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mattpage

Re: BB200/300 packed bike weigh-in thread

Post by mattpage »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:19 pm I think next steps for me are XTR drrivetrain in the forms of rear shifter (whacked up since BB200 2019), rear mech (might aswell hey!) cranks and pedals.
Just make sure you look at the individual differences before committing and if you can, why it is lighter.
Sometimes XT and XTR are identical except for the bolt, in which case buy XT and a titanium bolt separately will save a huge amount of ££.

Not always the case mind, but often worth looking at the £ to g saving, especially if performance won't be affected going up to XTR.

Can you tell, I am a weight weenie, although more so a few years ago than now.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

mattpage wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:06 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:36 pm
Thats very light Matt. Well done and I'm assuming there's alit of carbon in there with XTR or SRAM red (equivalent)... I weighed mine the other day with just the rear light, light bracket for front and the Wahoo Roam. 12.5kg. Thats with a 1400g [actually I think its actually 1200g: Sonder Tranamitter] frame, the cheaper Fox forks, carbon bars and bar ends and SLX drivetrain in 1x flavour and an SRAM cassette. I reckon I should be able to get it down to 10kg if I put some careful thought into...

I think just careful thought and working out where weight is needlessly added is key.

So the frame is a Pivot LES hardtail from years ago, ~1300g.
Shimano XT/XTR 11sp di2 gears, XTR cassette, Race Face Next LP chainset, lightweight mo-name stem, Mt Zoom bar, USE Seat post, Wolfpack race tyres, DT Swiss alloy wheels of some kind.

Things like grips, seat clamp, bottle cages, even bolts. It all adds up, sometimes with no need.
Yup... Indeed I always do that and if the weight is insignificant (ie. The older xt and newer SLX cranks have 6 grams between em so SLX it is which is slightly cheaper/newer) then I just move on to next more economical savings... I always thought I was a weight weenie (yes I do measure the bolts :o and yes I do have heavy carbon Nukeproof bars cos they're comfy and lifetime warrantied) but you've just taken the biscuit (like our Australian brother :grin:

In other news... The mtb weight savings will just have to weight (get it) as the superlight commuter gets built: target being sub 6.5kg :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Saving 2.5kg off a 12kg bike is gonna be costly.
At a guess it’ll involve wheels and forks :shock:
Mind you, I seem to remember saying you run super heavy tyres so it might not be that hard/expensive.
I’d be concentrating on getting my body weight down to optimal before I spent a fortune on gear.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Being a WW always struck me as pointless (ultimately) because unless you dedicate the same effort and attention to maximising yourself and your performance saving a few g's here or there is irrelevant. Plus, it *seems* to often drive choices that compromise comfort and fun (or even just a bit of lee-way i.e. you don't have to nurse superlight tyres through terrain that your average tyre should romp through).

I freely admit this is coming from a knackered old git who dislikes almost all forms of racing, performance and events :wink: :cool:

If you want to do it crack on but if you want to ride better, further, more easily you'd probably be better putting the effort into training and nutrition. Still, without this sort of obsession we'd probably miss out on some cracking gear threads :grin:

HYOH :cool:
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:11 am Being a WW always struck me as pointless (ultimately) because unless you dedicate the same effort and attention to maximising yourself and your performance saving a few g's here or there is irrelevant. Plus, it *seems* to often drive choices that compromise comfort and fun (or even just a bit of lee-way i.e. you don't have to nurse superlight tyres through terrain that your average tyre should romp through).
Agree to a point, but it can be possible to drop weight for little, or if building from scratch choose carefully and it can be at least the same price.
But agree on personal performance, which makes vastly more difference than even a few KG saved.

Comfort also a factor, but the more comfortable saddle I have ever used on a MTB is only 95g! Tune Speedneedle Marathon.
Sadly I broke it in a big crash and although still use it, didn't want to risk it for BB200.
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:39 am Saving 2.5kg off a 12kg bike is gonna be costly.
At a guess it’ll involve wheels and forks :shock:
Mind you, I seem to remember saying you run super heavy tyres so it might not be that hard/expensive.
I’d be concentrating on getting my body weight down to optimal before I spent a fortune on gear.
A one year plan Luke... so should be ok. I always concentrate on one item a time and 150g off gearing atuff should be too much. Fork will get done when an upgrade becomes available on the forum :-bd
redefined_cycles

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:11 am compromise comfort and fun

HYOH :cool:
Hence why LR says my tires are heavy... my carbon bars are actually on par with some alu ones (ie. Heavy as but bomproof according to NP). So, i do get your point and went from the Trav Prongs (really nice) to the Fox for that very reason... Projects are good :grin:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:11 am Being a WW always struck me as pointless (ultimately) because unless you dedicate the same effort and attention to maximising yourself and your performance saving a few g's here or there is irrelevant.
This is only true to a point. No matter how much extra personal weight you may be carrying you'll always feel the benefit of a lighter bike in my experience. Over the course of something like a BB200 it will make a difference, all other things being equal.

Obviously if you can keep the timber off yourself as well then that's even better. :lol: The extra 8kg around my waist that I had to lug around this year did NOT help in my failed attempt at getting a 3rd black badge. :roll:
redefined_cycles

Not for the BB or any ITT for that matter... but todays weight with all my work gear incuding charger etc etc. Came in to 18.1kg on the steel road bike...

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:23 pm Not for the BB or any ITT for that matter... but todays weight with all my work gear incuding charger etc etc. Came in to 18.1kg on the steel road bike...

.. and I thought I was over loaded with 11kg gear when BB, with foot & water... for 2 nights...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

.. and I thought I was over loaded with 11kg gear when BB, with foot & water... for 2 nights...
Oh no Dan... Not at all and I doubt I could beat you in the 'overloaded' stakes. Mine was 18.1 (18.2 according to the missus who I asked me to text me the weight as I was a bit rushed at the time departing) with the bike... You're probably talking about 11kg of gear only (knowing you :lol: don't forget the kitchen sink).
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

see you soon...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

Re: BB200/300 (& other events) packed bike weigh-in thread

Took some measurements and it all looked like this. The Durston is still up in the garden on book packing duties, so the bivy bag it'll have to be (thanks to the nice lad on here who sent it me - you know who you are, and may Allah give you better).

3L of water (or near enough); Black Diamond bivy bag; 950g Tundra bag; more food than you could shake a stick at; 2 pots (one for coffee obvs); 3 coffee servings worth of grind; a tiny reusable mesh coffee bag; Voile straps & and a cat shovel (in case one meets a cat in need); no mat (but more on that later); bit o tools and a tube & pump; toothbrush n paste (full sized); 2 lights n a Wahoo ROAM (but I might take a spare); waterproofs top and bottom (of which the jacket weighs 400g so I'll swap that out for the Thermarest mat and wear the jacket to get a bit o equilibrium); 100g canister; 2 spoons (of which one is a biodegradeable in case I meet a poor-ethics friend); Ra*ha deep winter gloves; no helmet (it'll be on the head God Willing)... Oh, and some spare socks and a spare drybag!

Balance total = 21.6kg