Show us your SQUARE (please).

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Show us your SQUARE (please).

Post by whitestone »

One of my future limiters, if I pull my finger out, will be the Catterick army ranges. Not the sort of place I want to trespass :lol: There are four squares entirely within the range. Now if they did open day guided walks ...
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

As I mentioned on the other vv tile thread, the bloke who’s on 101x101 (picture I posted on the first page of this thread) is stuck as he has an impossible empty square which is preventing expansion westward....... Porton Down secret government laboratory site. Probably one of the most secure locations in the UK. Though may be worth a politely worded letter :lol:
whonickedmename

Post by whonickedmename »

Signed up today (at last) - quite an interesting tool. Hopefully it will encourage some more exploring :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

whitestone wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:58 pm One of my future limiters, if I pull my finger out, will be the Catterick army ranges. Not the sort of place I want to trespass :lol: There are four squares entirely within the range. Now if they did open day guided walks ...
Either that or it’s time to take the Kings Shilling...
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have RAF Lossiemouth in my extended cluster. I do know some folk that work there so I'll be leaning on them.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Porton Down might be a limiter for me in the future, but I think Salisbury Plain ranges will halt me before then; I'm only at 31x31 and I'm nudging the south side of Salisbury.

I have done a couple of rides on days when they open the ranges up and you can visit Imber, but you don't stray off the tracks past the "Live Ordnance" warning signs...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

This square gathering is proper fun once you think you've reached a limit.
Truth is, you've reached the next level where the collecting comes with different challenges.

Unfortunately, I didn't and don't track my mountaineering, but once I believe I need to extend my squares south I'll have to go up the Eiger again.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'm trying to neaten up my square so I can display it here with honours :-bd ... Yesterday I ventured (off the beaten track and lots of tussock fighting and quick-mud sinking) to the bottom left and managed to grab 2 withiut crying and the sun going down on me. Went to a place calldd black hill which I've wondered about for years.

Anyway, the rest of the squares in that corner are also gonna be (though slightly less) equally as hard to grab. Hopefully show it soon enough :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Shafiq, is that Black Hill in the Peak District?
redefined_cycles

Alpinum wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:47 pm Shafiq, is that Black Hill in the Peak District?
Yes... the dirty basket (how the heck did you guess... thought I'd be done with just the one trip but looks like I might need a fair few from different approaches)... at least the view is amazing
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:05 pm (how the heck did you guess...
I read about the Dales 100 (or Peak 100?) and guessed you might live in that area and I know of only one Black Hill in England.

My mum's from Mossley/Carrbrook. My grandma used to live outside Ashton-u-Lyne, my uncle lives in Glossop, family friends in Greenfield, and I spent lots of my teenage holidays there, rambing the moors between Black Hill and Kinder Scout and reading about the history and myths of the area. But visit far less nowadays.

Funnily, I seem to make friends especially well from that area. Some of which by pure coincidence, like meeting a fellow biker (who grew up at the Dovestone res. and lived in Switzerland for a couple of years) in the train from the Valais back home (canton Berne) or Pete D. through Twitter. Then, to a degree less coincidentally, riding with Dave K. and Karl B. in Scotland.
People from the Peak District seem like magnets for me.

Only in 2014 (or was it 2015..?) I rode through the moors when riding from Jersey to Shetland. All other visits were on foot (which I today still don't track). I started using Strava in 2016, so no VW data for me from that area.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:05 pmat least the view is amazing
Indeed :-bd
Got to love the moors.
redefined_cycles

Still working at tidying up my square so can display it properly... :o

But todays square grab was a significant one. Not technically 'legit' to go grab it and it on the mtb. Nor do I have a working mtb right now, but did collect some spokes yesterday soon I'll soon be 'with-bike'.

Watch this space whilst I clean it up with my trail running shoes but here's what it looks like after todays little run...

Once that bottom left corner is 'run around' then I might be able to go collect some at the other edges on the roadie and mtb God-Willing...