8g micro meths stove + 22g RF now available

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Nick

Re: 8g micro meths stove + something else too!

Post by Nick »

Hi Stu, will you have any for sale at the BB200? Would like one of the 8g fellas if you could put one aside for me :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hi Stu, will you have any for sale at the BB200? Would like one of the 8g fellas if you could put one aside for me
No trouble Nick, if anyone else wants one or a 22g version to collect at the BB 200 just let me know ... might have some RF versions available by then too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Bags one of those bad boys.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bags one of those bad boys.
No trouble ... don't set fire to the kitchen with this one eh ;)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've got Avon and Somerset Fire Brigade on speed dial now. ;)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I gave my 8g stove a field test when I was in Wales last weekend. Had warm conditions on Saturday evening with a slight breeze. I used Stu's template to create a windshield and found that the flame went out a couple of times but worked better when I opened the shield up a bit and allowed some oxygen through. Boil time was around 7-8 minutes once it got going.
Sunday morning was cold, still and damp and it took quite a while to get going and went out a few times until I warmed the meths and stove. I ended up using 20ml of meths before I got a decent boil.
My meths is diluted by 10% with water.

I'm no expert with meths so I think it will take me a while to get use to it, especially remembering to pre-warm the stove and meths in a pocket/sleeping bag etc.

The quality and weight saving is faultless though and I definitely think this could be my stove of choice for solo overnighters. I think for anything longer or sharing carrying loads, i'd opt for gas although I'm tempted by a mini Honey Stove as well as a twig fire could be good for morale on cold nights.

Stu, have you used one of these 8g stoves inside a Honey Stove? I wondered if sitting the mug on top of the 8g stove may have contributed to extinguising the flames.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My meths is diluted by 10% with water.
Try with neat meths, you'll get better results. Watered down meths is quite a bit harder to get going and will produce less heat for the same amount.
Stu, have you used one of these 8g stoves inside a Honey Stove? I wondered if sitting the mug on top of the 8g stove may have contributed to extinguising the flames.
The stove is designed to work with a mug on top. Lifting the mug away from the stove will decrease the internal pressure and upset everything. Putting your mug on top will extinguish the central flame but that's the idea, what you're actually burning is meths vapour escaping through the jets which doesn't ignite until it's mixed with air outside the stove ;)
I definitely think this could be my stove of choice for solo overnighters
That's exactly what it's intended for Dan. The 22g version is a far better choice if there's a couple of you or you need to do more than make a brew.

If you're struggling to prime/get it to bloom ... make a small foil tray and sit the stove on top. Pour a SMALL amount of meths into the tray and light this at the same time as you light the stove. It should bloom within a few seconds.

Don't be in too much of a rush to get your mug on. Wait until the things burning well and all the jets are going strong.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Cheers for the advice Stu.

Very pleased so far. The guys I was with were amazed when they saw it in action. You may have a few more orders coming your way....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The remote feed version of the 22g stove is now available. Same size as the 22g but pretty much infinite burn time ... if there's fuel in your bottle it'll keep going ;)

Click on the bear up there ^^^^