January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by Bearlegged »

Maybe you could plot his GRs in such a way as to encourage some Strava art instead?
summittoppler

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by summittoppler »

Landslide wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:59 am Maybe you could plot his GRs in such a way as to encourage some Strava art instead?
Spelling 'Boner'
:-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Well given today's news, I'll be surprised if we can get out for this, ffs.
We might end up riding up and down our own street and kipping in the shed!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

summittoppler wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:36 pm Well given today's news, I'll be surprised if we can get out for this, ffs.
We might end up riding up and down our own street and kipping in the shed!
Exercise on your own will be allowed whatever the lockdown rules I woukd say.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Update. Reg is unavailable tonight as he has a life.......

I've 3 unread messages in my outbox from last Saturday

From 8pm tonight these 3 will unfortunately be given a DNS

The 3 riders have been in touch with me and at 8pm tonight I will draw the 3 names out of the hat so that
1st out chooses the 2nd name outs Grid refs
The 2nd name out chose the 3rd person's GR's
And the 3rd name out chose the 1st person's GR's

All 3 are happy with this.

Don't forget you have until Christmas Eve to exchange your GR's, and given the new lockdown rules you may have plenty of time on your hands to choose them in the next 5 days
benp1

Post by benp1 »

We’ve just got into Tier 4 but solo exercise still OK, will play all by ear

Cheers John, great organisational prowess being shown here
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Draw delayed as we are walking the dog.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I'm sorry to make this call but as there has been no contact from the following 3 over the last week they are being given a Did Not Start... Sorry, but if you do want in please let us know and we'll try and sort something out for you at short notice before the event.
Brendan / Brendan – Kingston, London - DNS
SimonB / wurzel58dog – Bristol - DNS
Mo Guy / Moguy - Wimborne, Dorset - DNS

Now what 3 riders have been waiting for, for the last 7 days.
Drum roll as Mrs Climber picks the names

Rob / woodsmith - Bawtry, S Yorks picks the GR's for Ben / benp1 – Whetstone, London

Ben / benp1 – Whetstone, London picks the GR's for Chris / ChrisF – New Mills, Peak District

Chris / ChrisF – New Mills, Peak District picks the GR's for Rob / woodsmith - Bawtry, S Yorks

Note to all, you have until Christmas Eve to swap your Grid Refs, then from Christmas Eve until the event you have all that time to plan your route/s
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one JC. By some bizarre coincidence at this precise moment I'm actually - for perfectly Covid-OK reasons - all of about 1 mile away from my partner so we could probably walk to a park and swap GRs in person!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Got my grid references today. Really pleased and excited. Can tell alot of work/thought has gone into it. Hopefully I can reciprocate.

Reg/Jon... If you're listening. Would you like to start a little competition out of it with the prize being a jar of Raw/Unfiltered/unpasteurized Turkish honey ?

Will let you work out the details as my history of starting competitions and rules have always seemed to deter most people from entering :grin: Only things I'd say (whilst you have your conference calls of how to decide the winner and what criteria) is, no nudity (in the reports/pics) and no pics showing how big the pint glasses were and how well filled etc etc...

Not sure how bug the honey jar would be but will decide that (dependent on how much I'm overspent in other depts) at the time :grin: I'm also thinking there should be some sort of minimal criteria (other than having entered and completed) the WE. Maybe, summat like, minimal of 9 specified grid references found and photo'd/shared....

Whatever... before I make it too confusing again (my shed and outhouse are a mess :sad: ) I'll let Reg/Jon take over, discuss and 'thread'...

Can't wait...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Wackiest 'substantial meal' consumed outdoors.

Any nude riders at this time of year need their heads examining :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:10 pm Wackiest 'substantial meal' consumed outdoors.

Any nude riders at this time of year need their heads examining :wink: .
:lol:

Gonna leave it in your and Jons capable hands... Lemme share an image of what the honey (could) look like (dependent on what size I order and send out)...

Thanks Reg/Jon (for bringing The Winter Event to the masses)

https://www.mountainhoneys.com/
RIP

Post by RIP »

It's self-organising - KIS - 1/ construct 'substantial meal' outdoors, 2/ photograph it, 3/ consume it, 4/ tidy it all away in your bags, 5/ post photo in thread yet to be opened.

Mr Shaf judges then posts prize to lucky winner.

Sorted.

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:22 pm It's self-organising - KIS - 1/ construct 'substantial meal' outdoors, 2/ photograph it, 3/ consume it, 4/ tidy it all away in your bags, 5/ post photo in thread yet to be opened.

Mr Shaf judges then posts prize to lucky winner.

Sorted.
Isn't KIS meant to be KISS? (Keep It Simple Stupid)... Sounds good Reg. Shall we add - at the highest grid reference....

Also, I feel incapable of judging such a thing Reg. Can we leave it as, 'voting' so the hardened lot off here have their say/vote :-bd

Sorted. Let me know who wins please Reg. The honey is lovely btw (even got my 6 year old to have the Cedar version without making a face)...

----------
Edit: added 'what I need to pack to make a substantial meal up on high' to my list of things to do for the WE (obviously I'll only be entering for the learning-curve factor)...
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:50 pm I'll just leave this here..

https://triplepointbrewing.co.uk/brewer ... ubstantial
Reckon yes, by definition, that would count :-bd . Maybe someone could make a substantial steak and ale pie with Substantial Meal Ale...

RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:27 pm Isn't KIS meant to be KISS? (Keep It Simple Stupid)...
It is. But I'm not going to call my chum Shaf stupid :smile: .
Can we leave it as, 'voting'
We can.
Let me know who wins please Reg.
If you set up a 'SM Photo Comp' thread after that weekend with a poll on it it'll be self-knowing :wink:

RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:42 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:27 pm Isn't KIS meant to be KISS? (Keep It Simple Stupid)...
Come to think of it, KISS works anyway doesn't it: Keep It Simple Shaf :smile: .

redefined_cycles

Can we leave it as, 'voting'
We can.
Let me know who wins please Reg.
If you set up a 'SM Photo Comp' thread after that weekend with a poll on it it'll be self-knowing :wink:
Sorted then...
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:43 pm
Come to think of it, KISS works anyway doesn't it: Keep It Simple Shaf :smile: .
Lol... that too Reg. Gonna open up that thread now... KISS... KISS, must remind myself...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Right then. GRs sent to my VWE2021 buddy. Hopefully he shares my interest in medieval castle remnants.

I will play by the rules if we're still in Tier 4 and kip in my garden. Which will mean a palatial tarp, proper deck chair and roasting something over a big fire. I have plans for a rotisserie made from the branches of my apple trees. Thankfully, my house is near the highest point in the area I selected so I reckon I'll be shoe in for Shaf's honey.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:09 am Right then. GRs sent to my VWE2021 buddy. Hopefully he shares my interest in medieval castle remnants.

I will play by the rules if we're still in Tier 4 and kip in my garden. Which will mean a palatial tarp, proper deck chair and roasting something over a big fire. I have plans for a rotisserie made from the branches of my apple trees. Thankfully, my house is near the highest point in the area I selected so I reckon I'll be shoe in for Shaf's honey.
rotisserie :grin: . Looking forward to the photos Oh Canine One.

redefined_cycles

TheBrownDog wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:09 am Thankfully, my house is near the highest point in the area I selected so I reckon I'll be shoe in for Shaf's honey.
Hmmm :grin: good shout... But might I refer you to article 2 :smile:

2) Cook it and have a proper meal at the highest GR, cooked up there off course and obviously leave no...
Highest grid ref being of the ones allocated you :lol:
ton

Post by ton »

still waiting for my GR's. my oppo will probably be out riding a 500km audax.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If it's any consolation I've not even looked at the map of the area for SeannyD. I might have a squint later this evening.