Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's not raining (yet) or snowing or freezing, so I'll take that while it lasts. :-bd

It will be even cheerier should Evri decide that today is the day they're going to bring me some bits ... assuming said bits haven't fossilised in the back of their van.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Off to see Miles Hunt, for the second time this year, in sunny Huddersfield.

That'll do :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If only you were going seeing Mike Hunt, that would have been my Friday fully cheered up :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:38 am If only you were going seeing Mike Hunt, that would have been my Friday fully cheered up :wink:
Well I absolutely knew that was coming! :-bd

Cheery? Hmm. Sort of. Had responses this morning to a couple of tediously ongoing bits of Reg admin. Some idiot smacked into the back of Mrs P's motor while I was using it to visit my folks last June on the day before her 60th birthday holiday in Shropshire. She was, shall we say, displeased. All the other party's fault which they admitted. Motor ended up being written off for £1200 even though we bought it back for £100 and carried on using it. Anyroad, insurance company talked me into going for an injury claim, despite only suffering a scratch or two. STUPID THING TO DO! 9 months later after loads of medic checks and forms for a scratch that had disappeared after a week, they've finally agreed I can have £360. Well it's a few beers I suppose. Now just got to get my NCB back and a premium refund. Ho hum.

Other issue has been a probate application which I submitted 4 months ago. No acknowledgment it ever got there although they cashed the cheque within a week. Emailed them last week. No reply. Everyone says it's a complete waste of time phoning them. I must have been feeling optimistic after the £360, 'cos I phoned anyway. A nice lady picked up after only 5 minutes! Astounding. She confirmed it was taking too long and shifted me to a "priority" (ha ha) list which would take another 3 weeks. If anyone wants to know anything at all about IHT and Probate, Reg is your man having been into it in depressingly huge detail.

Have a nice weekend.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Reg I too am a probate IHT expert as Mum and Dad passed within 2 years of each other kindly naming their eldest son as executor. I did it all online and mine was done within 3 weeks on both occasions. The wills were simple, not sure if that made a difference?

On to cheeriness. I stupidly sanctioned a full refit of our kitchen as it had condensation issues. The fitters ripped it out on Monday to find that it wasn't condensation, it was the flat roof leaking. So now that is on hold as we replace the flat roof including all timbers which are rotted. Of course, the forecast is now for rain over the next 10 days. The roofer is sitting at home counting my deposit whilst watching Netflix. All we have is the microwave and Wetherspoons (basically the same thing).
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:25 pm Reg I too am a probate IHT expert as Mum and Dad passed within 2 years of each other kindly naming their eldest son as executor. I did it all online and mine was done within 3 weeks on both occasions. The wills were simple, not sure if that made a difference?
We should set up an advice company between us :smile: . Yes I remember you losing your mum and dad. This is pub talk really, but my mother slipped away in October, and dad in December. Often happens that way. The Wills are very simple yes. But the executors are me, my sister, and mum/dad for each other. Dad couldn't act so I had to get a doc's letter which meant posting the probate form rather than online. Did it recorded delivery so I knew they'd had it. But they won't talk to you at all at the moment before 16 weeks. They need to sort themselves out, it just adds lots of extra grief to the, well, grief.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not especially cheery as I've got my nephews wedding tomorrow. Can't really say I'm a big fan of weddings generally but it's the 3rd time they've tried to get wed, the previous 2 attempts were victims of covid - so hopefully third time lucky.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bad luck Stu. To make it more bearable (or indeed Bearable) you could request a Macc Lads number at the barn-dance-disco thing afterwards?

Same as you, can't be doing with all these ceremonies and
'Days' (Mother's Day, Second Cousin's Day etc etc). Mrs P's and Reg's nuptials were a case in point. Her: "We getting hitched then or what?". Reg (looking sheepish and apprehensive): "Eh? Oh go on then". Shipped some Co-Op sarnies in, a few rellies popped round for an hour or so, etc. Worst bit was having to buy a ring but she seemed OK with a £40 second-hand one from the shop round the corner. The best bit was the best man's speech by our son. Nobody could understand a word of it, and he also lost the ring. Well he was only 2 months old to be fair :wink: .

My sister was even better - were in Llandudno, dragged a couple of random people in the street into the registry and job done. Bag of chips to celebrate.

Curiously, against all the odds we're all still married, unlike other mates we know who had big bashes and are now distinctly not married. Lesson there somewhere possibly.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As you can no doubt imagine Reg, when I got wed, it cost a grand total of around £100. I recall arriving at the registry office with a big dirty stripe up my front as it'd started to rain and my motorbike didn't have a front mudguard. Still married 25 years later .... although I haven't seen her for the last 20 of those :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol: :-bd

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:04 am Still married 25 years later .... although I haven't seen her for the last 20 of those :-bd
That sounds like a Crime Watch quote. :???: :o :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:04 am As you can no doubt imagine Reg, when I got wed, it cost a grand total of around £100.
Our wedding cost a few grand more but the guest list was about 60. At £6.35 a head! + Free bar .Compared to other mates hitched +shindig that was dirt cheap.(except the ones that went to Greta green).
We had suits/frock made to measure, a live band. I think we went over board, still it was a few grand less than the wedding sales /con artists now selling the 'dream'. A Bash in church hall next door. No driving drink as much as you like.
We did go away on a treking hol. Which cost a few grand for 2 weeks away to Picos de Europa. All in less than 5 k.
I still have to report, like Reg, for duty each morning :-bd
It doesn't get any easier after 25yrs... :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

ledburner wrote: I still have to report, like Reg, for duty each morning :-bd
Aye we have a very straightforward and easy to understand relationship. What's hers is hers. And what's mine is hers.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Careful now! (subtle Father Ted reference), we're heading into Les Dawson territory here :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:34 pm
ledburner wrote: I still have to report, like Reg, for duty each morning :-bd
Aye we have a very straightforward and easy to understand relationship. What's hers is hers. And what's mine is hers.
That explains your dress code at weekends :lol:
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Well after lots of attempts to locate a very small puncture hole in my Exped sleep mat, I finally found it today 😀
My attempts included in the bath, at the swimming pool 😂 soapy spray etc all to no avail. Finally found it whilst having another go pushing it under water in the bath. Never saw any bubbles but eventually heard a slight noise when putting it under pressure and locate the hole 😀 Interestingly, no bubbles under water unless put under a lot of pressure.

Also had some good news this week when I was informed that the rim on my rear wheel has started to crack in several places. It was very good news because it gives me a chance to sort it before riding the Spanish divide in a couple of weeks. Would have been a right pain if it started falling apart on the ride 😩
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm, weddings are pretty much at the top of my list of 'worst social occasions to attend' although my bruvs latest was pretty good - I was best man - "So here we are again!" :grin:
Managed to avoid being the centre of such a thing which most people treat as a tragedy and I treat as a success...
Anyway, it's raining and I'm trying to drum up some motivation for my March BAM. lager is helping.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good luck with your BaM night Phil. A few beers will stiffen the resolve. Nice that it's raining, it's all too easy just to wait for 'nice' weather :smile: .

Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:09 pm Anyway, it's raining and I'm trying to drum up some motivation for my March BAM. lager is helping.
Considered going out tonight too, until I saw the wind forecast. Think I'll go out tomorrow night, even though it might be wet on Sunday morning.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Despite tomorrow, today turned out quite well as I was able to (just about) finish making a pair of forks and a fuel tank* too.

*notice I say 'fuel' and not petrol :wink:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Nox or even better, hydrazine?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

hydrazine
I'm not that mentally unstable - yet.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:24 pm Nox or even better, hydrazine?
And there’s me thinking it was used chippy oil…
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

We're off to a cottage in Coed y Brenin :cool:
No bike though :sad:
I might go for a long walk and maybe just happen to find a hire bike :wink:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

All packed and ready for this weekend's South Lakes Spring Break, so that's cheery. I'm surprised I remembered how to pack for a bikepacking trip, it's been so long, but the muscle memory seems to have survived - in fact was quicker and easier than I remember. That or I'll realise I've forgotten half my kit tomorrow. Sure it'll be fun either way.