The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Ian »

Note quite the postie, but I took my newly self-serviced* 10yr old Chris King hubs to Coombes Cycles in Hereford to get them laced to the rims. Followed by a happy evening spent taping the rims and fitting tubeless CX tyres as the Stoater build edges closer to completion.

* thanks to Wotsits getting me tooled up :smile:

Waiting on some bits from Shand HQ tomorrow. Exciting.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Got a bike lock. Well, 2.5 metres of 16mm pragmasis chain, a Squire padlock and Torc ground anchor. Just need to remember to lock them all up now........

It's not the financial value of my bikes, it's the whole pee off factor if they went.

Thinking of getting an alarm linked to 5 or 6 sounders for inside the garage. If any scrotes get in they won't have any ears left. :YMDEVIL:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

slarge wrote:
Thinking of getting an alarm linked to 5 or 6 sounders for inside the garage. If any scrotes get in they won't have any ears left. :YMDEVIL:
I've fitted bell boxes and sound bombs inside buildings before and on testing for less than 10 seconds, I can confirm, it bloody hurts.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I need to bicycle my garage with anti-theft devices - any ideas where I can get this stuff from, without breaking the bank?
gravitysucks

Post by gravitysucks »

Pair of Salsa Carbon Firestarter's courtsy of Slam man and a Exposure Revo & SP PD-8X Dynamo set.
Free juice hear we come!
JerseyMountainBiker

Post by JerseyMountainBiker »

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the carbon Firestarters. Been considering them but can't find any reviews.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

New 2 x 10 drive train and BB for the MonsterCross after it was built with the hand me down gearing off my Niner and it finally died last week.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ian wrote:Note quite the postie, but I took my newly self-serviced* 10yr old Chris King hubs to Coombes Cycles in Hereford to get them laced to the rims. Followed by a happy evening spent taping the rims and fitting tubeless CX tyres as the Stoater build edges closer to completion.

* thanks to Wotsits getting me tooled up :smile:

Waiting on some bits from Shand HQ tomorrow. Exciting.

Which rims and tyres have you gone for ian. I'm looking myself now
Ian

Post by Ian »

FLV wrote:Which rims and tyres have you gone for ian. I'm looking myself now
Pacenti SL25 rims, Stan's Raven tyres. Pic here: https://flic.kr/p/wtbRnN

Rims have a nice deep section, a sort of shot penned matt finish and weighed 423g each, which is about an ounce lighter the the Stan's Grail rims. They're nice, and they've taken the Stan's tyres ok, though I needed my ghetto inflator to pop them on. Two layers of yellow tape and they're holding pressure at 50 PSI.

Tyres I already had from when I had the Kite. Badged as a 35c, they're more like a 33c. Fast and surprisingly grippy, and lightweight.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I picked up a tandem frame yesterday. Needs a couple of bits and pieces to finish building it up.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I picked up a tandem frame yesterday. Needs a couple of bits and pieces to finish building it up.
Do you want a couple of BB stickers for it Rich? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ian wrote:stuff
Nice, the rims look good. Good to know they went tubeless too.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Richpips wrote:I picked up a tandem frame yesterday...
Nice! I had a good look at Billy and Lina Rice's tandem last month (chunky thing it is). They were sporting 3" Chupa's...Billy said it was plush...like riding with suspension. From the sliver of tread visible in your picture, this is an offroad machine I'm presuming? I can't pick the tyre though (Conti?)

Greetz

S.
atk

Post by atk »

Scattamah wrote:
Richpips wrote:I picked up a tandem frame yesterday...
Nice! I had a good look at Billy and Lina Rice's tandem last month (chunky thing it is). They were sporting 3" Chupa's...Billy said it was plush...like riding with suspension. From the sliver of tread visible in your picture, this is an offroad machine I'm presuming? I can't pick the tyre though (Conti?)

Greetz

S.
If you check the video updates on Team Riceburner's facebook page during the TD I think his view of those tyres changes after a multitude of punctures...
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

atk wrote:If you check the video updates on Team Riceburner's facebook page during the TD I think his view of those tyres changes after a multitude of punctures...
Will have to go back and peek...ta for the pointer. Admittedly, he did say that to me in Nth Montana when it was still dry. Sounds like the 29.1's I ran last year...grippy and fast but like onion skins.

Greetz

S.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Some stickers would be ace Stu.

Tyres are currently 2.4 Mountain Kings, but there is room for a lot more tyre.
burty

Post by burty »

a cuben fiber tarp from trekker tent .
oooks works ground sheet 96g
and a sleeping dog who did not come in the post.
trekker tarp2.jpg
trekker tarp2.jpg (153.19 KiB) Viewed 4366 times
trekker tarp.jpg
trekker tarp.jpg (229.94 KiB) Viewed 4366 times
Gari

Post by Gari »

Almost finished, just the chain to fit. then its off for a trolley around the car park to get it to fit properly :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

It wasn't the postman. It was me, and I went. But. It's still shiney.

Parts are a bit roady as that's the bike I've nicked them from. Needs a shorter stem by 10 mm an in line post, longer chain and therefore cassette as it's well past. Also a new tyre as the front has an awful vibration egg. (No its not the wheel )
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:I need to bicycle my garage with anti-theft devices - any ideas where I can get this stuff from, without breaking the bank?
Can't beat a thick chain, and a heavy duty lock. Chain has to withstand a pair of medium bolt cutters, as does the lock. Long chain to chain everything together. Maybe to a large object. Or a floor anchor. If you chain three or four bikes together it's very hard to lift them and noisy. No bike lock will stop a determined thief. Just slow them down. And make them think again if they have to make a load of noise. All locks can be overcome by a grinder or some power tools. So remove them from your garage. Everything can be found at bnq. Cheaper online.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Bottom bracket bearings for the Stoater today, and a bearing pre-load ring for my King front hub.
Just waiting on the bolt through skewer* for the fork now and the Stoater will be good to go :-bd

* thanks to jameso for tracking down the right thing for me. :ugeek: Right game getting the correct size, but they do exist
benp1

Post by benp1 »

2 mount skidmore bottle cage adaptors

A really nice touch is the little pouches they come in, they're a perfect size for sticking my phone in when putting it in a jersey pocket. Stops sweat getting at it and also rain

I use an aloksak one at the moment, a Crikey, how much branded one I picked up free from a show. When it dies I'll use the mount skidmore ones
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

benp1 wrote:2 mount skidmore bottle cage adaptors
Mine arrived today as well

I normally use Fenwicks and dilute it 1 to 10 for £9.99

Today I picked up this 25litre cleaner that you dilute 1 to 25 for only £15
It should last me a fair few years :shock:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

JohnClimber wrote:
Today I picked up this 25litre cleaner that you dilute 1 to 25 for only £15
It should last me a fair few years :shock:
APC rules! I have 3 different dilutions setup normally, 10%, 40% and 100%. 10% being my GOTO mix and go up the concentrations if stuff is being stubborn. Then use solvents if stuff is real bad, but that's pretty rare and IPA is normally only used for prep stuff these days.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Gari wrote:Almost finished, just the chain to fit. then its off for a trolley around the car park to get it to fit properly :-bd
Oh I'm liking that Gari :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon