Things I learned on the WRT

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Re: Things I learned on the WRT

Post by Asposium »

Lawmanmx wrote: ....
2. lots of BB'ers deal in European KMS and not UK MILES for some strange reason ....mmmmmh i wonder what That could be?????
....:
Perhaps people work in km because the maps are in metres.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I used to run mountainbike navigation courses but the take-up was always woefully low ... which given the nature of mountainbiking either seems odd or simply proves that 90% of mountainbikers never actually venture within 25 miles of a mountain (or 25yds from a trail sign). :wink:

Maybe they couldn't find you?
simon72

Post by simon72 »

1. It is possible to do the WRT on a CX bike however it it's likely to get damaged. Not from the trails but from being thrown by a frustrated rider called Alex.
2. If you just keep peddling you will get there, even if you weigh 19 stone and your bike weighs similar, as long as you smile constantly like Matt.
3. I can ride further than I thought although I am still waiting to discover how long before I can face/physically cope with getting back on a bike.
4. IPhones in a weatherproof case seem as good as Garmins for navigation, but for battery life.
5. I am too soft for the BB200.
6. People on this forum are as diverse and strange in real life as they are in cyberspace - which is a great thing.
7. I am definitely doing the WRT again next year.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

simon72 wrote:1. It is possible to do the WRT on a CX bike however it it's likely to get damaged. Not from the trails but from being thrown by a frustrated rider called Alex.
Turns out that mysterious shifting problem did have something to do with the gear hanger being bent....which in turn may have had something to do with the bike being lobbed into the distance....which might have had something to do with getting absolutely soaked falling into foot-deep water for the second time in as many days! :D

Here's my list:

- Welsh off road isn't like Surrey off-road. A few tree roots and mostly rideable dirt is fine on a CX bike, what seemed to be a cross between a quarry and building site rubble randomly strewn on top of gravel in deep ruts is another matter...
- Off-road miles are nothing to do with road miles, especially loaded off-road miles!
- When you see a bunch of people carrying their bikes around a puddle, thinking "ah, they must just not want to get muddy" and riding through it might not be the best idea!
- Related: Some puddles are 2 foot deep....and cold. If you're going to do it, make sure the photographer of the group at least has his camera out.
- Any slope is noticeable if your groundsheet, sleeping mat, bivvy bag and sleeping bag are all shiny. Find a flat bit, or at least a dip, or wake up a few feet from where you started!
- Pitching a tarp side-on to the wind is great, until the wind changes direction. Waking up at 3am and making tent pegs out of branches by torchlight to stop it flying away is best avoided.
- If you see a river, fill up on water! Day 2 we thought we'd make it to one, but didn't, so had to fill up with water out of a muddy puddle....with tadpoles living in it!
- Related: Sawyer water filters are miraculous!
- Even if you have a compact chainset, when you're repeatedly climbing 20% inclines on gravel with a bike and kit that weighs over 25 kilos you'll spend a LONG time walking.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

AlexGold wrote:- Any slope is noticeable if your groundsheet, sleeping mat, bivvy bag and sleeping bag are all shiny. Find a flat bit, or at least a dip, or wake up a few feet from where you started!
I made that mistake. I was so pleased to find a sheltered bit of ground that I completely forgot to check that it was flat.

Next time I'm sticking my phone on the side of my pole and using the clinometer app. :lol: