Church or Chapel references.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Church or Chapel references.

Post by RIP »

Aw, go on, you know you want to :smile: (well, next year now). I'm not into events either, but this is (speaking only for myself of course since it's not my not-event :wink: )) more of a "loosely informal association of possibly like-minded persons who happen to be riding bikes in roughly the same area with perhaps the same start/end points while only carrying a few small bits and bobs to aid their passage". Now that can't be an event surely? :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I'm hitching on with a few others and following someone else's route so no route planning for me.... if feels strange.

Have you sorted out your route yet?
You heading N,S,E or W?
psling

Post by psling »

Just watched the BBC weather for the week ahead which is suggesting wind chill temperatures as low as -10 to -12'C in rural areas next weekend :shock: Might just have to sneak into a church or chapel for the night....
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

!
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

:o :o best not let my mate know (he might be peeking here!) - warm pub with fire now moves up the priority list!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Backup B&B for me I reckon.

DON'T YOU F*CK*NG JUDGE ME! :cry:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can we remember that these temps inc' windchill factor ... stay out of the wind and it'll be

May the bridges you burn light your way
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

As long as I can manage the drive from down South up to the Arctic wastes of mid Wales, I reckon it will be a great weekend. Always good to have a different challenge. Will make the necessary adjustments to my clothing and overnight outdoor sleeping arrangements...

Si
RIP

Post by RIP »

Chuffing Nora.

Get my Brompton out to go to the shops.
Flat rear tyre, pain to fix.
Get my P7 out to go the shops.
Rear bearings knackered, was OK last time I used it.
Get my ridiculous F/S machine out to go to the shops.
Do shopping and realise I'll have to bring F/S machine this weekend instead of P7.
No sniggering.

All forecasts I've seen say it's a balmy (*) 0c on Sat and a bit showery.
Anyway what's a forecast got to do with it.

R

(*) no not barmy, although it is indeed that as well
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Are the wheels the same size? Can you switch them over?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I was actually planning on a road ride to get all the checkpoints... will keep an eye on the forecast :|
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Zippy wrote:I was actually planning on a road ride to get all the checkpoints... will keep an eye on the forecast :|
We're at the other end of the spectrum - we'll be on fat bikes for training purposes :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Does anybody know if Glyndwr's Way cafe in Bwlch -y-sarnau is open weekends and what the hours might be? Thought I might call in as I was passing. Seems to be no mention of hours on the website that I can see.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Still one of my best memories from the BB200 that. I was in a "sub standard" mood before I got there.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote:Still one of my best memories from the BB200 that. I was in a "sub standard" mood before I got there.
So sub-standard you left me for dead :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I wasn't that far ahead. lol
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Blackhound wrote:Does anybody know if Glyndwr's Way cafe in Bwlch -y-sarnau is open weekends and what the hours might be? Thought I might call in as I was passing. Seems to be no mention of hours on the website that I can see.
I think it opens by request. It's 80km into the Saturday I have planned. So if you are contacting them...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does anybody know if Glyndwr's Way cafe in Bwlch -y-sarnau is open weekends and what the hours might be? Thought I might call in as I was passing. Seems to be no mention of hours on the website that I can see.
I think you have to contact them Kevin. I recall Emily saying they sort of 'open on demand' as it were.

EDIT: too slow :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I think you have to contact them Kevin. I recall Emily saying they sort of 'open on demand' as it were.

EDIT: too slow :roll:
Is it worth a separate thread to get an idea of how many people may be passing? Guessing Saturday afternoon? Although depends which way round folk are going...
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks Stu. I have still to plan my route and unsure what time I might arrive. Was hoping there was some core hours they were open rather then advising that I might arrive at some vague hour and a few others might call in as well.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Can anybody confirm the number of chapels to visit. I thought there was 8 but I appear to have marked just 7 on my map. I can't check the email as Virgin Mail seems to be down again! Don't want to start planning with the a missing point.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Blackhound wrote:Can anybody confirm the number of chapels to visit. I thought there was 8 but I appear to have marked just 7 on my map. I can't check the email as Virgin Mail seems to be down again! Don't want to start planning with the a missing point.
There's 8 but Stu managed to place one off the coast of Llandudno :lol: I think one of the other grid refs was wrong as well, might have had a couple of digits transposed.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks Whitestone. Thought it was 8 and aware of the two rogue points which I had corrected. I still have enough time to sort out a route so will wait until yet another technical issue is sorted at Virgin Media.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"switch them over" - doh! Good point Ben. Too late now, gone to the menders. Overbiked for me it is then. Or maybe the '86 Dawes, that'd be a streetcred talking point....

PS. 38 to go for Stu :wink:. I reckon if he times it right we could all buy him a celebratory 10k orangejuice/cuppa/whatever at the weekend!

RIP

Post by RIP »

PPS. Crewlie, if you're still happy to slum it with Pickers and me, sorry, and I, could you PM me yer mobile number? Looks like we're of the "anticlockwise churches possibly leaving out the stupid ByG hill cos we're mice not men" persuasion. Current panic is our pub is shut for 2 weeks!!!! Almost gave up on the whole weekend for a minute there, but will contact the backup establishment up the road.