new to winter bike packing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Re: new to winter bike packing

Post by Borderer »

Waterproof socks are a lifesaver for me.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

My PHD weighs 590g total weight... anyone any guesses on how much fill that might be?? Wondering how deep cold it might manage you see (previously was under the inpression it was much light at sub 500 or something!! Hence why I assumed its no good other than the 2 seasons (although dont use indoors as it gets too warm on anything other than a cold day/night
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hard to say without knowing what the shell material is but probably 50% is down.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Twas the lightest (shell material) one at the time. I forget which when I got off Ian...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perhaps 300g of down inside then. It'll be at least 800fp, so 300g will go quite a long way.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There doesn't seem to be much difference in materials used by the quality manufacturers. The Cumulus quilts have approximately 250g of shell material (actually 230g in the lightest to 260g in the heaviest), so maybe allow a few tens of grammes for the hood, etc.

What you are really interested in is the loft - there's a direct relationship between that and temperature ratings which doesn't depend on the fill power or down/feather ratio or even if it's down or synthetic. Gian (Alpinum) posted it a while back. The comfort temperature rating = 17.5 - (3.5 x Loft (in cm)) For a sleeping bag lay the bag out and let it loft (sic) then measure how the height of the top surface and divide by two (because there's a top and bottom) for a quilt lay it out so that there's just one thickness and measure that. After that adjust depending on how warm or cold you sleep.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just noticed that the OP has only posted once on here, do you think they survived the trip?