Tour Divide 2016

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

NewRetroTom

Re: Tour Divide 2016

Post by NewRetroTom »

Right that's it I'm signed up on the (unofficial) start list!

For the other folks on here who are going to do it the sign up details and link to start list can be found on this thread http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra- ... ration/20/
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

vaguely exciting.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Good luck Tom. It's a Commonwealth race looking at the entries so far. Perhaps a few Yanks will show up and I hear an Irishman might be doing it as well.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I was a bit surprised so few had put their names down!
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I think the sign up form has only gone live in the last few days, so that's why there are so few names on it.

Traditionally the date for submitting letters of intent is after the winter solstice, so many people will hold off until then before committing themselves.

It's an underground event with no formal entry process at all, so can't sell out. There is nothing to gain by signing up early!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

BMC - you gets what you pay for. Evaced from Uganda with broken collarbone and dislocated shoulder. Have never thought twice about paying for it.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I've added mine and my Son's details to the Google Doc. (over on BP.net)

Aiming to leave the New Mexican border ~1st August.

:wink:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I appear to have accidentally asked my line manager for permission and been told no problem.

See you in Banff.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Good Luck! Will be watching your dot and keeping my fingers crossed for such great conditions as this years race!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

GregMay wrote:I appear to have accidentally asked my line manager for permission and been told no problem.

See you in Banff.
Brill! :-bd ITT or GD?

I shall be flying with WestJet (nope, never heard of 'em either!) :roll:
giryan

Post by giryan »

johnnystorm wrote:
GregMay wrote:I appear to have accidentally asked my line manager for permission and been told no problem.

See you in Banff.

They are super cheap though aren't they! :)
I'm just having to wait until the new year for work to be 100% with me going so I can book, I just hope the prices don't rise much in the mean time :)
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

I've used West Jet for years- never with a bike, but just general flying about Western Canada. A much more customer friendly then Air Canada. Never had an issue with luggage or anything with them. Google West Jet April fools and you'll see some funny stuff they have done over the years- child free flights- all the kids in the cargo hold in a gigantic ball pen.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

rando nomad wrote:- child free flights- all the kids in the cargo hold in a gigantic ball pen.
I'd pay a premium for that :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Gari

Post by Gari »

^^^ me too, and I don't even have kids!!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

rando nomad wrote:I've used West Jet for years- never with a bike, but just general flying about Western Canada. A much more customer friendly then Air Canada. Never had an issue with luggage or anything with them. Google West Jet April fools and you'll see some funny stuff they have done over the years- child free flights- all the kids in the cargo hold in a gigantic ball pen.
While going through their t&c's about luggage there are some funny gags. They also have an 0800 number and we're very helpful when discussing bike boxes and making changes.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Gari wrote:^^^ me too, and I don't even have kids!!
Neither do I!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Gari

Post by Gari »

^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

johnnystorm wrote:

See you in Banff.

Undecided yet. Maybe ITT a day or two before the GD. Not one for riding with people ;)

Westjet are excellent. Flew with them quite a few times in 03/04 when I was touring in Canada. Never had an issue with bike and bouldering mat.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Not one for riding with people ;)
Neither am I generally - don't worry, you'll not see many riders after mid-day on day 2 if you don't want to ride with them. Even less so if you're on sub-20 day pace. It can be very much a solo experience, more than I expected and almost excessively so if you ride communications-free. An ITT so close to the GD will mean others will be around to a similar extent anyway.

fwiw from a generaly soloist and non-event participating rider, the actual depart morning is a moment I remember with a sort of shared pride and looking at that pic of us all at the start occasionally I'm so glad I did it that way, despite actually shaking with start-line nerves. Met some great people and made unexpected friends. Don't miss it simply to be the loner, you'll have an all-you-can-eat menu of that on the way : )
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Thanks jameso - Wife is persuading me to just start with everyone then see what happens. She's probably right. On the plus side it means I won't be the one waking all the bears ;)

really looking forward to getting back to Canada - lived there for 6months as a bike bum, loved it.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Agree with jameso. I often spent 2-3 days on my own and loved it although I was towards the rear rather than off the front. Having said that numbers have doubled since I did it, and I thought there was a lot then!
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I only did a few days alone, as an old friend was riding, and our pace was pretty much the same, but the time alone I really really enjoyed.

We were about 1/3 through the pack, and we saw quite a lot of riders for the first 5 days I'd say, then it really started to string out. There were 150 on trackleaders I think, but there were easily another 30 riders out there, and lots of ITTers and tourists going both ways. What could have been my loneliest day over Polvadera Mesa, was peppered with encounters with people riding NoBo, nice chats, and some welcome company at times. That is a brutal stretch of the route, especially with no sleep in a few days.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

With all the excitement surrounding Christmas I only remembered to get my letter of intent last night. :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It's not like Matt will say no ;)

I've not put mine in.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I have found the LOI is to light the fire under yer arse...it's the point where you really mean it. I really hope you folks get a clear run like this year...I wouldn't wish the 2014 weather on anyone.

Greetz

S.