Cooking tips

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Yorlin

Re: Cooking tips

Post by Yorlin »

Slightly more helpfully Ortlieb do a plasticated foam thing that holds a paper coffee filter, and you stick a couple tent pegs across it.
http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/coffee-filter-holder.html

30 grammes!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

My MYOG coffee maker. Small aluminium screw top tin with little holes drilled into it. Makes enough for two mugs. Fill with ground coffee, drop it in a pan of water and bring it to the boil. Lovely in the morning and no bits to spit out :D .

coffeekan 001 by youngray50, on Flickr

Crumbled oat bars/cereal bars are also good in custard.
Mandicky

Post by Mandicky »

Cous-cous gets my vote. To add a bit of texture I'll chop up some chorizo and onion and put it in a plastic bag with a spoon of cooking oil before I leave home. Boil water and add to the cous-cous and set aside. I then chuck the contents of the bag into the pot and fry gently. Then put the cous-cous back in for a minute and mix it all up - delicious :)

Chorizo and other cured sausages are great to take on a trip. Can be eaten as-is or cooked, safe in a pack for days, full of flavour, compact, rugged....need I go on? Also, cooked on a stick over a fire - amazing!

I'll add a few lumps of Chorizo to a Cup-a-Soup for a quick snack - the hot soup softens the Chorizo and releases some good flavour.

I like food.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

When I can be bothered I take a GSI Ultralight Java Drip, clips onto my mug

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... adrip-p545
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I saw something like this on the web whilst searching for kettles for the volunteer teams:

Bonkers and yet strangely appealing ;)
composite

Post by composite »

Ray Young wrote:My MYOG coffee maker. Small aluminium screw top tin with little holes drilled into it. Makes enough for two mugs. Fill with ground coffee, drop it in a pan of water and bring it to the boil. Lovely in the morning and no bits to spit out :D .

coffeekan 001 by youngray50, on Flickr
Now that I'm digging.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I was in Go Outdoors, and saw these

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/gsi-outdoor ... ip-p263348

- Just a few grams
- No filter papers needed
- Folds away for storage
- Real Coffee Nommage

Ah just noticed - similar link to above ^^^^^ up there
2924 miles per Gallon
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Coffee when ultralight I do those Lyon Coffee bags. http://lyonscoffeeuk.com/products

When car camping I have one of those gravity fed coffee filter things (will look up what it is when I get home)

At home, have a presso.

:ugeek:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Starbucks Via sachets have relegated all other forms of coffee making to the kitchen at home, it's quick, it's hot (unlike drip coffee), it weight almost nothing, and it tastes pretty reasonable especially if you don't drink it out of a titanium mug.

When ever I'm traveling I'm always on the look out for sachets of sugar, creamer or even real cream like they have on the continent.

The other option for adding sweetness and creme is to make up a small batch of condensed milk fudge, drop a square into your coffee and voila as they say. That's if you haven't eaten all the fudge beforehand.

Got a box of these given to us, nice and warming on a cold morning :) or stirred into your porridge 8-)

McDonalds in France (I know, I know, but it was the only place open on a Sunday morning in Reims) do these sachets of what is basically nutella, they are vaguely exciting stirred into porridge, still have a couple from 2012 in the cupboard, suspect like most McDs stuff it wont ever go off.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Starbucks Via is brilliant, available in decaf too (only from Starbucks though, not supermarkets)

I actually trained myself to drink coffee black for the very reason I can't be bothered to take milk on trips, its lighter and easier. Try it, coffee is now much more pleasant for me, think of it like a long espresso

Need milk in tea though (so drink coffee on all my trips)
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I'm utterly uncouth when it comes to coffee …

I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Although I'm a tea man, I will take the Nescafe sachets on trips ... too much coffee snobery going on. If you can't bring yourself to drink it then you obviously haven't ridden far enough or aren't wet or cold enough ;)

I did have a dabble with Typhoo instant tea and it's not bad but you have to enjoy a strong brew. For those loooong winter nights you can't beat these.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

The problem with Ovaltine is you have to be over 65 before they let you buy it... ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The problem with Ovaltine is you have to be over 65 before they let you buy it...
I get someone to buy mine for me ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
nobby

Post by nobby »

Yorlin wrote:The problem with Ovaltine is you have to be over 65 before they let you buy it... ;)
... but not to drink it

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/v ... l&fr=aaplw

Strangely, I always remember the Ovaltineys as wearing huge, floppy flat hats. My memories must be getting mixed up with a gravy, I think.
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Not quite a cooking 'tip' but our co-op (and I assume all the other ones) has started doing fresh gnocci, which cooks dead quick. Like little balls of mashed potato... Sorry, can't think of a way to make this post exciting. :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Made "pour n store porridge" the other day, worked a treat. Had the required amount of porridge in the aforementioned bag , added boiling water, gave it a good shake then put it in my insulated bag for five minutes and hey presto, lovely porridge and no messy pan to clean.
barney

Post by barney »

Standard meals for me are both MYOG pour and store bag meals...

Breakfast - a mixture of dry porridge oats, sugar, milk powder and to give it a (naughty) flavour sprinkle in a Cadburys Flake

Tea - Based on Stu's receipe of dry mash mixed with cooked and chopped combination of sausages, blackpudding and pepperami

Both just need a bit of boiling water for a tasty hot meal... yum, yum !!!
Wait for me...