Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: Bivvy a month 2014 thread.

Post by Ian »

1/1 - A great start to the bivvy year for me :D
Mike

Post by Mike »

Me to 1/1, january was a fab bivy near Carno. However i may try for two a month this yr now im single again :P
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

1/1 here

Bit of a rubbish week and a window of opportunity to up and leave presented itself.

packed up in under 30 mins (including defrosting a turket curry and getting cous cous)

rode out for 2 hours, quick pint in the pub and headed out to a great little flat spot between huge boulders near Burbage. read book and enjoyed the silence

Woke early with the rain and rode through thick fog to get back early

This week is looking more positive ;)

Its always better out than in. :)
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Im in! :D
There and back was my first January bivi (probably last)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Hoping for a having a better go at it this year..... :roll:

1/1 with a damp & muddy 80 mile round trip on the bridleways & cheeky trails to Woodbridge. If it wasn't muddy it was blocked with fallen trees, quite often it was both! Lovely clear sky only to be greeted with rain just as we got up to pack away. Aiming to to have February's effort in the Peaks. 8-)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Does "back garden" count?

If so 1/1 + Bothy

:?
Chew

Post by Chew »

1/1 for me as well.

Ride up into the hills with Wenchie and Stu after raiding the Spar in Mach

A bit of pushing and a ride across the tops before descending into Talybont in search of warmth and chips

A cold if pleasant ride out to the winter bivi spot before the wind picked up and packing up in the morning
composite

Post by composite »

Going to give this a go this year.

January was an easy one, kicking off with There 'n' Back.

barney

Post by barney »

Unfortunately I’m still unable to ride but the title is “bivi-a-month” so walking still counts doesn’t it? :?

To be honest I was able to pack a lot less kit so it made a nice change, as usual it was cats and dogs but I’d found a lovely spot in a plantation I’d spotted on one of my local rides.

Wish I had a proper camera because I’m sure I could’ve taken some nice arty shots of the plantation/camp but instead you’ll have to make do with my shonky camera phone shots.

Hopefully I’ll be riding next month but at least that’s 1 out of 12 (if allowed)

Notice the lack of tubes, pump, tools…

All in one bag and no worry about rubbing cables…

Looking from inside the tarp out towards the plantation…

If it wasn’t dark I’d have lined the tarp up straight with the angle of the tree’s, ha !
Wait for me...
Chew

Post by Chew »

barney wrote:Unfortunately I’m still unable to ride but the title is “bivi-a-month” so walking still counts doesn’t it? :?
By whatever means, its all good :D
Nice to see people getting out in these conditions
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I'm continuing my run from last year and got the first one in. very enjoable despite challengin weather at times...

Train to Rochdale to pick up the MTL, up the PBW diverted to Nelson to eat chinese food in a bus shelter in the rain. onwards to Horton-in-ribblesdale. BIvy on the flanks of penyghent, forgot full count of pegs so had to bicycle tarp in a jaunty style, Mark - thanks for the loan but your lightweight bivy bag is NOT water proof! bloody PYG cafe not open in the morning despite winter opening times saying it should be... bands of heavy cloud blowing across every 40 mins, either rain, slush, hail or snow and fierce cross wind. divert on to roads and drop (and drop) into Dent dale, see post van swoop over a tiny hump back bridge by bend in the road after having postman pat theme tune as an earworm for the hour before hand :-) drip dry in pub then onwards to kendal to stay with old fell running buddy who has moved back up there to semi retire. Friday up to long sleddale (beautiful!) ride/push/carry over garburn pass, great decent down to haweswater, back roads then over the top to pooley bridge (pie stop!) then steady climb up over back roads to pick up the old coach road down to threkeld, then over to mUngrisdale where was staying with family and fell running mates for the weekend.

my highest ever mileage for a week - nudging 300km and 7000m

The ride was 257km/6400m in 21 hours over the three days, t'was windy, rainy, draggy tyres, mud and soft ground aplenty with a heavier than needed load. 12.25kmh happy with that :-)

EDIT - still hardly took any pictures!!
Mike

Post by Mike »

2/1 last min outing
Took the lanes/bw from my house over to the wyre forest. Stopped for chips in Bewdley by the river then made my way upto the spooky house in the woods then hit the bridleways (very wet and very muddy) home via the pub this morning.
Although it was extremely quiet i got about three hrs sleep
the spooky old hut ( belonged to the Cadbury family, now sits derelict )
My first bivy trip on the crosser, ready for the wildcat 100 now with its new gearing!
Last edited by Mike on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

I seem to remember another porch that you and hux stayed on - are you developing some kind of habit, like flatfishy and his bothies :D

(Does look good though!)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A failed attempt this afternoon/evening. the spot I had chosen was being covered by drifting snow. After mulling over options for a while, I headed home and will attempt a more sensible location tomorrow!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Not like you to leave it to the last day. :D
Mike

Post by Mike »

AW- its the same porch as last time. It was last min and the weather has been so wet it seemed the best option, i did get wet though as the rain came in the front. As for Taylors bothies ill be joining him in Feb for an installment of luxury and warmth :P

Anyone got any plans for Febs entry of bivy of the month? I fancy riding somewhere else so if anyones free!!
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

flatfishy wrote:Not like you to leave it to the last day. :D
sounds like my tax return - yet again! one year i will do the thing before january. . .

YM and FF which bothy are you guys off to? I will probably have to wait until the last weekend in Feb to get mine in - unless i find a way to tie it in with a night out in Leeds next saturday. Maybe I could go really niche with an urban bivi . . . . .or maybe not!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

As it stands it'll be penrhos isaf on the 20th.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As it stands it'll be penrhos isaf on the 20th.
20th? A Thursday?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Yup, you coming?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yup, you coming?
Yeah, count me in.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Local one for me. Glensax outside peebles. Tried out a trailstar tarp. Love that. Loads of space Nd stood up well to the ridge top pitch I tried on purpose to test it out. Good to be back out.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A more sensible plan saw me (and the Mrs) safely ensconced in Drakes Bothy last night. The walk-in was relatively mild (+2C) and wind-less. Blowing a hoolie and -2C on the way out this morning though.

P1000854 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Oh - and we were hearing loud bangs around midnight. Must have been someone letting off fireworks for Chinese New Year.

Kung hei fat choi!!!
Mike

Post by Mike »

or the bothy is haunted?? scary. Looks a nice clean bothy, good to see
Gari

Post by Gari »

Somebody "lamping" close to Ryvoan apparently :evil: we had 3 belgian guys in after staying in the bothy that were a little concerned by the gunfire outside....hope you fed the mouse/mice :D