Dealing with the cold

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Dealing with the cold

Post by whitestone »

whitestone wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:48 am Nice and crispy and clear this morning, -3C apparently - I'll be heading out in a bit on another test ride. This one will simply add a set of uninsulated gaiters (I think they are Rab mountaineering gaiters) so I'll report back on whether they improve things.
meant to update on this...

Definitely made a difference, feet were toasty warm. I think they are an older version of these - https://rab.equipment/uk/trek-gaiter-asr-g43, the closure at the top on mine is a buckle system rather than a snap, but other than that they look the same.

Yesterday I wore the same boots and socks for work. It was sunny and sub-zero plus I was working in a frost hollow. Although I was moving around I wouldn't say I was "walking", think more along the lines of how much a shop assistant would move around yet my feet were warm. So it seems like some walking exercises the foot much more than pedalling does, doesn't need to be much in my experience obviously YMMV (or perhaps your step count may vary :grin: ). Important to note that my feet were warm to begin with so I wasn't getting them warm just maintaining the warmth they already had.

After our Norway trip a couple of years ago I bought Cath some insulated 3/4 length trousers that have full length side zips so you can put them on without having to struggle getting them over your shoes/boots. A few of the Danes who were riding had them. I think they are these - https://www.addnature.co.uk/bergans-ror ... 86005.html. Maybe not the best for riding in but good for when you stop and need insulation on the legs. My initial impression on seeing them was that they were similar to the outer trousers worn by Inuit in that they reached down below the knee but didn't restrict movement in the way that a full length overtrouser would (knee length boots/gaiters would cover the lower leg)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Pirahna

Re: Dealing with the cold

Post by Pirahna »

My first winter in Spain. It's a sunny 15 degrees today, there's more riding than I'll ever get to see, happy days. :smile: