WRT entries open.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Re: WRT entries open.

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:32 pm Given the nature of the previous 2 years, I'm really looking forward to this years WRT. I'm expecting a bumper turnout and a bit of 'normality' . I also hear today that the rather lovely Collette will once again be on hand on Sat with her rather lovely baps*.

*both meat and veggie options.
Really looking forward to it too.
Will my first BB event, been wanting to take part for too long and now I'm finally going to make it happen :-bd
Looking forward to meeting some of you in person :smile:
barney

Post by barney »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:19 am
and then bringing some (un)healthy competition to this claim!
You'll have to go a 'long way' to beat Mark :wink:
Ha, ha, ha... my reputation precedes me !!!! 😁

Although that's definitely the sound of a gauntlet being thrown sir, challenge accepted! l-)
Wait for me...
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:24 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:32 pm
Looking forward to meeting some of you in person :smile:
Don’t be too disappointed.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Just looking at work obligations and when I'd need time off. Stu, what time is "kick off" on Saturday 30th ?

Cheers
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu, what time is "kick off" on Saturday 30th ?
The 'gathering' starts around 9am with the aim of getting everyone off and away around 1pm.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:52 pm
Stu, what time is "kick off" on Saturday 30th ?
The 'gathering' starts around 9am with the aim of getting everyone off and away around 1pm.
With that in mind, and to avoid getting up too early, I may need to venture down on the Friday night.

FYI, current plan is that SWMBO and my son will be "glamping" around Bala that weekend, I'll do the WRT and then join them for a couple of days before heading home. I should be suitably ripe by that point, and in need of a good pressure washering.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I'm taking the plunge. Can't get anyone to join me, so I guess I'll tag along with the LHC. As a WRT virgin, are there any initiations I should be aware of? Baring a right buttock while swearing an oath for instance?
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Is it too late to sign up? Haven't been to Wales in over 40 years, should I be afraid? Anybody else riding to the event?
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

woodsmith wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:23 pm Is it too late to sign up? Haven't been to Wales in over 40 years, should I be afraid? Anybody else riding to the event?
Entry is open until the end of March
Verena

Post by Verena »

Rob S wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:08 pm I'm taking the plunge. Can't get anyone to join me, so I guess I'll tag along with the LHC. As a WRT virgin, are there any initiations I should be aware of? Baring a right buttock while swearing an oath for instance?
You go do that then, and at least you'll be easy to recognize, and lots of people will come over and say Hi :wink:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:29 am
Rob S wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:08 pm I'm taking the plunge. Can't get anyone to join me, so I guess I'll tag along with the LHC. As a WRT virgin, are there any initiations I should be aware of? Baring a right buttock while swearing an oath for instance?
You go do that then, and at least you'll be easy to recognize, and lots of people will come over and say Hi :wink:
cheeky! I haven't decide who :roll: :wink:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Rob, check your messages ref joining the LHC gang :-bd
jonny

Post by jonny »

Please could I join the LHC tooo 🥳 also I’m new and live in Ellesmere Port….would appreciate a lift but don’t mind getting the train. Thanks
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

him jonny, if we can fit 2 bikes in the car, I'm sure we could sort some thing out but... I'm not sure how long I'm down there for.. Sunday or Monday...
play it by ear. I pass near by coming from Huddersfield (nr Leeds).
d.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

jonny wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:54 pm Please could I join the LHC tooo 🥳 also I’m new and live in Ellesmere Port….would appreciate a lift but don’t mind getting the train. Thanks
Message in coming :-bd

PS everyone he's a packrafter too :roll:
jonny

Post by jonny »

Packrafter haha eyeees wish….need to get myself one of them beautiful Alpacka Caribou’s don’t iiii. Then maybe I could be considered a wannabe with all the gear no idea 🤷🏽‍♂️😂
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Hi all. As mentioned above, this will be my first WRT. I don't currently have anyone to ride with and was considering joining the LHC. But if others are in the same position, would you like to form a group of our own? Personally, I'd prefer to ride as a 3 or 4 rather than a big group. Not knowing mid-Wales, I was going to take up Stu's offer of a route (if that's still happening) but I'll go along with the majority if others don't fancy that.

I'm not an experienced bike-packer, I've been out on a couple of overnighters. Half-an-idea, all the gear, rather than no-idea. I'm 51 and pretty easy going, with a loaded bike I would be looking at a maximum of 40 miles in a day as I know it's a bit up-and-downy in the area. Any takers? :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Another option is 'hanging around' the LHC without being 'attached' to it - same route so bumping into each other now and then. The LHC could even end up doing similar, who knows - a subgroup hanging back for a bit or whatever. On my first WRT I joined the LHC of about ten riders, but on seeing the route four of us felt we'd hold the others back so broke away on our own 'LHC-B' subgroup before we'd even got out of Stu's yard! LHC Chief Chew was very good about it (maybe he astutely realised we were cafe/pub layabouts :smile: ).

Only thing is one is conscious that John is kindly offering LHC 'ringleaderness' so we should try not to muck him around.

Maybe start with the LHC and see what happens.

I once 'led' (ha ha) an LHC of 12 and we had a fine old time :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

RIP wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:23 am Another option is 'hanging around' the LHC without being 'attached' to it - same route so bumping into each other now and then. The LHC could even end up doing similar, who knows - a subgroup hanging back for a bit or whatever. On my first WRT I joined the LHC of about ten riders, but on seeing the route four of us felt we'd hold the others back so broke away on our own 'LHC-B' subgroup before we'd even got out of Stu's yard! LHC Chief Chew was very good about it (maybe he astutely realised we were cafe/pub layabouts :smile: ).

Only thing is one is conscious that John is kindly offering LHC 'ringleaderness' so we should try not to muck him around.

Thanks Reg, I did contact John C before posting as I didn't want to mess him about. Agree, what you suggest is another option though :-bd
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Rob S wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:10 am Hi all. As mentioned above, this will be my first WRT. I don't currently have anyone to ride with and was considering joining the LHC. But if others are in the same position, would you like to form a group of our own? Personally, I'd prefer to ride as a 3 or 4 rather than a big group. Not knowing mid-Wales, I was going to take up Stu's offer of a route (if that's still happening) but I'll go along with the majority if others don't fancy that.

I'm not an experienced bike-packer, I've been out on a couple of overnighters. Half-an-idea, all the gear, rather than no-idea. I'm 51 and pretty easy going, with a loaded bike I would be looking at a maximum of 40 miles in a day as I know it's a bit up-and-downy in the area. Any takers? :-bd
Hi Rob. I could definetley be down for this. It'll be my first WRT and I'm hoping for it to be a fairly social, and not too suffer-fest ride. Similar age, bit more experience and I'll already be knackered before the start as I'm riding to the event from S. Yorkshire.
As I understood it the LHC is for those new to bikepacking and I don't qualify otherwise I'd have probably signed up for that
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:18 pm
Rob S wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:10 am Hi all. As mentioned above, this will be my first WRT. I don't currently have anyone to ride with and was considering joining the LHC. But if others are in the same position, would you like to form a group of our own? Personally, I'd prefer to ride as a 3 or 4 rather than a big group. Not knowing mid-Wales, I was going to take up Stu's offer of a route (if that's still happening) but I'll go along with the majority if others don't fancy that.

Hi Rob. I could definetley be down for this. It'll be my first WRT and I'm hoping for it to be a fairly social, and not too suffer-fest ride. Similar age, bit more experience and I'll already be knackered before the start as I'm riding to the event from S. Yorkshire.
As I understood it the LHC is for those new to bikepacking and I don't qualify otherwise I'd have probably signed up for that

PM you later :-bd
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

RIP wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:23 am Another option is 'hanging around' the LHC without being 'attached' to it - same route so bumping into each other now and then. The LHC could even end up doing similar, who knows - a subgroup hanging back for a bit or whatever. On my first WRT I joined the LHC of about ten riders, but on seeing the route four of us felt we'd hold the others back so broke away on our own 'LHC-B' subgroup before we'd even got out of Stu's yard! LHC Chief Chew was very good about it (maybe he astutely realised we were cafe/pub layabouts :smile: ).

So a LHC stalker group? :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Which LHC group had the exploding fireball stove?
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Erm, a rare moment of reticence prevents me from divulging any more details than it was on Cafe Racer in 2018 (so admittedly not a WRT LHC).....

It was indeed a highly amusing moment (one amongst many other highly amusing moments throughout the weekend). The assembled throng rapidly divided into two groups:

Group One stepped forward for a closer investigation to see what would happen when a 250 gas canister blew up at close quarters.

Group Two were found later behind a hedge 100 yards down the road with their heads between their knees and their fingers in their ears.

To those thinking they might prefer to form their own group of LH's this year, this is the sort of quality entertainment you'll regret missing.

Ahhh, great days, great days.
Last edited by RIP on Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

And yes, have you noticed that whenever there's an imminent spectacular disaster, there's always someone whose first instinct is to grab photographic evidence before diving head-first over the adjacent hedge?