Biggest rideable climb in Britain?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Biggest rideable climb in Britain?

Post by fatbikephil »

Ian wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:04 am
Dyffers wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:33 pm the track that goes from the road pass at 626m up to about 770m.
How rideable is the track?
Bonus question: Does anyone know if this has been Everested from the very bottom at Tornapress?
If you want everest Applecross, you'd need to do it mid week in the late Autumn or Winter as any other time you'd be continually getting held up by campervans....
Although apparently Applecross village wants out of the NC500 which may improve things a bit.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:47 am
Ian wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:04 am
Dyffers wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:33 pm the track that goes from the road pass at 626m up to about 770m.
How rideable is the track?
Bonus question: Does anyone know if this has been Everested from the very bottom at Tornapress?
If you want everest Applecross, you'd need to do it mid week in the late Autumn or Winter as any other time you'd be continually getting held up by campervans....
Although apparently Applecross village wants out of the NC500 which may improve things a bit.
Good luck to Applecross . I don't think there's any putting that cat back in the bag. The whole NC500 thing is a bit of a disaster for the locals I think.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

The locals of Assynt Estate are rather vocal on the subject. I can see why. It's busier and busier each year.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

There's a little hill near mine that is part of my 10 mile fun route. It's on a bridle path and about 300m straight up. It's incredibly steep and basically a rock garden. Ive never cleaned it and as far as I know nor have any of the folk I ride with. Does this count? ....... no probably not
I'm just going outside ...
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Ian wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:02 am
Dave Barter wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:44 pm I walked the one bit that Bob describes as super steep. Rode the rest with one or two dabs
Pretty much my experience. Went to Uni in Bangor, so we’d do it quite a lot. Virtually cleaned it to the steep section after the bridge. That was mid-90’s though, so maybe more eroded now.
I’m a poor show rider and rode it all* apart from that section, the combination of gradient and loose surface made traction impossible (for me), if a line without loose stone appeared then it’d be doable

*well apart from stopping to take in views and have a snack :oops: