Recommend a softshell

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Recommend a softshell

Post by ScotRoutes »

nagasaki45 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:02 pm Maybe a bit off topic but it looks like the goal with a softshell is to be windproof, warm-ish, and breathable, right? Is that your preferred combination of "features"? Intuitively, and with not much experience, I would have gone with windproof + waterproof and get warmth from other layer(s). Don't know if something like that can also be breathable.
And that's the problem - especially when cycling. In the main, waterproof fabrics and finishes are not very breathable so are easily overwhelmed and you end up wetter inside than out. Windproof and breathable is much easier to achieve. If it has some water-resistance, then that's a positive, leaving only the very wettest situations in need of full (hard)shell.

Some of my softshells are warm (like the Polaris AM), some are not (like the Montane Velo).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

it also depends if you are out for 3 hours or 13 hours
Former softshell later outdry
IMHO you want pit and arm vents to control [not eradicate] sweat build up.
Nothing work all the time for uk weather as its quite variable
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Almost exactly what SR says.

A very wind resistant top can usually, easily be made very breathable, much more so than a proper hard shell. A proper hard shell will be way more waterproof but usually dramatically less breathable.

What's *right* is very weather influenced and personal, for instance I'm hot and sweaty so prefer something like the Borealis.

And then after all that best of luck picking the right one for the conditions you'll encounter on your average ride in the UK 🤣

All I'd say is don't blindly accept that the immediate, default solution to poor weather is a hardshell. Though if it works for you 👍👍
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Just to add... when cycling, windproofing is only really necessary at the front. To an extent, the same can be said about insulation. So, some jackets make use of different fabrics/layers front and back.

In my experience, once I need a rain jacket, I'll be as wet at the back as at the front (sometimes moreso due to wheel spray of course).
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:14 am when cycling, windproofing is only really necessary at the front.
Either you only ride in head winds, or eventually ride sideways and backwards or you are always riding faster than the wind speed.
Or you only go out on calm days.

Don't you live near the Cairngorms?
I bet it's really easy there to outpace the wind so your back doesn't get blown at :wink:
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Deleted - duplicate post
Last edited by rudedog on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

rudedog wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:15 am
stevewaters wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:52 pm Rab Kinetic Plus waterproof/softshell jacket - very impressed with it so far.

It's lightweight, soft, stretchy, very breathable and pretty waterproof (with a waterproof measure of 10,000mm and breathability of 35,000cc/sqm/24hrs). - Perfect for changeable conditions. I originally got it for climbing but found that the hood fits well under a bike helmet and when done up it is all very snug. I had to use it in an unexpected blizzard a few weeks ago and it proved excellent.

It's "only" £126 too for this older model which is the one I got:

https://www.tauntonleisure.com/clothing ... zon__12819
I tried the kinetic but the weird inner hood baffle thing it had really doesn't work if you wear glasses (at least not with mine). Turning my head with the hood up caused the baffle material to pull on my specs which was then painful on the bridge of my nose - seemed like a fairly big design flaw to me.

I did consider keeping it and just cutting the baffle out but it seemed a bit extreme having to hack into a new garment to make it useable so back it went. Shame as I had high hopes
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

Thanks for the explanations Alpinum, ScotRoutes, Lazarus, and Cheeky Monkey. They do make a lot of sense!
Since reading your comments, I've ridden the Ridgeway in a constant 25km/h head wind over 2 days. It was completely dry, so no need for rain protection, but I did miss some wind protection. As someone that sweats quite a lot, I'm adding a borealis to my never ending wishlist :lol:
Might upgrade my crappy lightweight raincoat as well at some point, but for something only for rain duties, and not as a more regular layer.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Alpinum....I'm so glad you find my post " :grin: " and "silly", it is my opinion and some outdoorsy
People are "fat" but obviously not yourself ? I never berated Rab gear, I actually said I liked it
But I don't find it fits me, I've always had respect for all your posts because I find them
Very interesting....now not so, it's obviously Panda time.