Off topic: salmon or mackerel?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

Re: Off topic: salmon or mackerel?

Post by PaulB2 »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:24 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:26 pm They're not pilchards any more, they're Cornish Sardines, much posher :grin:

Pilchards on toast was a Sunday morning treat when I was a kid.

One interesting aspect of Brexit is that we might actually start eating the locally caught fish like Gurnard, Megrim (Cornish Sole!), Hake & Langoustines that traditionally get sent to europe because everyone in this country is obsessed with Cod.
<cough> we do this already. We go to our local fishmonger and buy whatever he's got a good deal on from the market. At the moment he is king of the Brixham fish market as the restaurant buyers are off the scene. Last week we had some Brill. Gurnard is a favourite and John dory as long as I don't look at it.
Pre-kids I used to get a fish box delivered since I live pretty much as far away from the sea as you can get. Gurnard, Brill, Megrim, Dover sole, John Dory, even had turbot once. The live langoustines were interesting.

Are we allowed to talk about herring?
RIP

Post by RIP »

PaulB2 wrote: Are we allowed to talk about herring?
Are we prepared to return to Monty Python twice in a week do we think?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

RIP wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:19 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Are we allowed to talk about herring?
Are we prepared to return to Monty Python twice in a week do we think?
Good point, hammock users probably don’t like herring.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Brill!
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:31 pm
TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:03 pm I did six months of weekends as a deck boy on a prawn trawler in Moreton Bay when I was 14. They'd always chuck a long trawl line out on the way back and pull in a few big mackerel. There was a small gas BBQ on the boat. Some one would gut and fillet them and stick them on. I'm still pulling the bones out of teeth.
Great life isn’t it :-bd The hardest job I’ve ever had, also one of the best and worst paid jobs I’ve ever had. Bass paid for a Honda V4 when I was 17! :grin:

Happy memories, hauling a kilometre of skate twisted net after grabbing a weaver by all three spines, not easy with one paralysed arm, running for home over the Goodwins with a F10 chasing us, wrapping a net around the prop then the B1 buoy on a rising tide, drifting with the nets at night under a full moon, knowing exactly where you are just by the angle between two lighthouses, being covered in phosphorescent creatures as you haul nets at night while watching a glowing wake. That anticipation when you pull the first net and the euphoria when you fill the boat with bass :grin:
Can relate to pretty much all of this.
My Dad was a fisherman so I practically grew up on fishing boats. Trawling, skate nets, salmon bag nets, lobsters, prawns, long lines and buckies - we pretty much did everything. Trawling was always my favourite though - I couldn't wait to see the weird and wonderful things we dredged up on every lift - at night it seemed alien and otherworldly, especially on those times the phosphorescence was in bloom.