Changing pads whilst out

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: Changing pads whilst out

Post by sean_iow »

ChrisS wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:02 am my rear brake fell apart mid-descent :o They were brand new too - the resin just sheared clean off the metal.
This is one of the reasons I fit, bed in and run my spare pads for a week or 2. It should pick up any manufacturing defects and I know they fit in the calliper.

Bedding in also needs to ideally be done in the dry and warm, it's about getting the pads hot enough to drive the solvents out of the top layer, this is easier to do at your leisure on a sunny day than in the rain and cold at night on a remote mountain.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:55 am
ChrisS wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:02 am my rear brake fell apart mid-descent :o They were brand new too - the resin just sheared clean off the metal.
This is one of the reasons I fit, bed in and run my spare pads for a week or 2. It should pick up any manufacturing defects and I know they fit in the calliper.

Bedding in also needs to ideally be done in the dry and warm, it's about getting the pads hot enough to drive the solvents out of the top layer, this is easier to do at your leisure on a sunny day than in the rain and cold at night on a remote mountain.
That's a good tip, thanks. I've also had issues with pads that have taken quite a few rides before they've felt really bedded in (this has been during constant wet and cold in the winter). I think I'll start a bedding in programme over the next couple of weeks :-bd
trob6

Post by trob6 »

I keep an eye on the pads and change a couple of weeks before a big ride as Sean said just to be sure and take a spare part worn set and if I do have to change them while out I take the caliper of the frame/fork which make changing the pads easier and you them dont have to take your muddy wet wheel out and I take a pad spacer with me that sets the pads to the right gap for the discs, they come on new bikes so your local bike shop will have some and they weigh almost nothing.
What's the worst than can happen?
FLV

Post by FLV »

I thought of this thread last night whilst changing pads on the #gravelwanker

After removing both front and rear I discovered a stock error and found I only had 1 new pair.
So the rear brake now sports 'the best two' from the 4 old ones which will get a few ride till a new set can be purchased :grin:
As a bonus the front set are now genuine finned ( :roll: ) shimano ones so half the bike will stop well at least :-bd