Need some new wheels... what’s good?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic

Re: Need some new wheels... what’s good?

Post by Jurassic »

Leerowe76 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:32 pm
benp1 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:37 pm Hunt getting a lot of fans

I like hope/stans but haven’t tried many others
https://www.huntbikewheels.com/products ... 1051233357

I have these fitted on my Big Bro.
Good build quality, look good and at £329 which is great compared to some other manufacturers and lighter than most at just under 1700g :-bd
I have Hunt 4 Season Gravel wheels on my Camino and am very pleased with them so far. I know a lot of people (mainly on STW :roll: ) say that they're just far eastern hubs and rims that you could have built yourself more cheaply but mine have taken a hammering and are still intact and true. I've also been told the bearings in them aren't the best but mine are still fine.
Alpinum

Re: Need some new wheels... what’s good?

Post by Alpinum »

Matt wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:21 am Centre lock brakes though, I seemed to be very anti centrelock in my own head for no reason

Is there an actual problem with centrelock or should I just buy them??
I prefer 6 bolt mainly because I don't need a bb or cassette tool.

I've one CL hub, because I damaged a freewheel and needed quick replacement and the local shop which builds my wheels just had CL for what I needed - so down that lane I went. No issue at all, but I do use it with a CL to 6-bolt adapter :wink:

Something to consider when you have multiple bikes at home; wouldn't you want just one system on all bikes? In case you want/need to swap wheels (or rotors).

Imagine you're in a really remote place in the desert. Many days from the next village, from the next tarmac track and even next house, you've travelled a few hundred km's without seeing a single soul. You mess up the freewheel beyond repair.
You take off the rotor, put on the singlespeed cog you've got with 6-bolt mount, flip the wheel to have the drivetrain on the wrong side, put the chain over the singlespeed cog, slide wheel back in, adjust chain tension with the sliding drop outs and you just saved your life. happily you ride on with a fixed gear bike, but one with one working gear none the less.

Same goes for a beyond repair trashed rotor. Having the same mount (being 6-bolt) you simply use the torx you find on every multitool and don't have to bring the cassette remover.

The above may seem like a fairy tale, but actually to some it's what they do on their holiday.

whitestone wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:10 am ne advantage if you are touring is that if you bent a rotor
It's easy to bend rotors back in the field and even more so at home, check youtube or so and give it a try. Their quite bendy things and can take some beating.
I'm on my last set of bargain XT rotors and bend them back about 1/month. Last summer I smashed the rear TRP two piece rotor into a rock when it was hot and soft and I could hardly turn the wheel. I bent it back with some elbow grease and am still using it, as if nothing ever happened. We should run bend back parties.
composite wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:05 pm I'm not sure I will ever go with anything other than DT Swiss hubs these days
Same here Neil, but they've not been flawless with me, but definately the most reliable and most easy to work with in the rare occassion of an incident. A proper work horse.