UK ITTs - the state of the art

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

stevewaters

Re: UK ITTs - the state of the art

Post by stevewaters »

Have not given it much thought until today, but my instinct was that Bikepacking (and Backpacking) had to include an element of carrying your own stuff to enable a wildish sleep outdoors - but I think it should stretch to include the likes of a bothy stay...
jameso

Post by jameso »

My comments about only the HT550 and Bigbear being bikepacking was particularly tounge-in-cheek :wink:
I did wonder : )

But yes .. interesting Q. Long-distance or self-supported racing, whether you sleep or not. 'Bikepacking racing' has always sounded a bit odd to me, as if bikepacking hasn't got racing links. Sorry, we're off into the definition weeds.

I did wonder if the Ridgeway Double would be on there. It's potentially a longer day ride, ~300km. Not easy to ride fast but hardly a bikepacking route if riding it in a day. But a bikepacking weekend route, sure. Lovely. As a long-distance ITT, valid. Just not very long in the general sense of this sort of thing.
Last edited by jameso on Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think what is or what isn't, is fluid and will change as different riders with different abilities ride these routes with the aim of doing so as fast as possible ... but we shouldn't get hung up about it. Let's not forget that for every 'top ten' rider there'll be four more who can't go as quickly and can't survive on three hours sleep a week. To them, even a 200km event may need to include all the elements of a 'bikepacking event' no matter what definition is used.

I've always thought it somewhat strange how bikepacking and ITT share the same stable quite happily, yet seem completely at odds with each other - one advocates exploration, discovery and the freedom to do as you please with absolute minimum constraints of time, the other, not so much. It's a fairly thin thread that holds the two together, it would be a shame to see that thread stretched and untimately snapped.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:12 am It's a fairly thin thread that holds the two together, it would be a shame to see that thread stretched and untimately snapped.
I think that thread is the people. All the people I meet at ITTs are bikepackers. They all go out for overnighters/trips just for fun but on other occasions like to see how far/fast they can go. When talking to other riders on an ITT it's often our non-racing trips were chatting about over a pie sat outside a spar shop :grin:

This year I've covered over 1000 miles on ITTs but I've also done another BAM. As I'm riding the same bike with the same bags on for both I've never considered them to not be basically the same thing.

As Sofiane has got a place in the 2020 HT550 will that now have to come off the list for bikepacking :wink: That would leave just the Bigbear on the list :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Sofiane has got a place in the 2020 HT550 will that now have to come off the list for bikepacking :wink: That would leave just the Bigbear on the list
Just the contrary, I'd advocate that nothing at all should ever come off the list .... and you're right, it's all about people / community. It'll be a very sad day when that ceases.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:40 am
As Sofiane has got a place in the 2020 HT550 will that now have to come off the list for bikepacking :wink: That would leave just the Bigbear on the list
Just the contrary, I'd advocate that nothing at all should ever come off the list ....
I think you missed this from above
seaniow wrote: My comments about only the HT550 and Bigbear being bikepacking was particularly tounge-in-cheek :wink:
All the events are bikepacking to me :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

What's needed is one of those Venn diagrams with different cycling "activities" represented as bubbles. For some there'll be an intersection between the bubbles representing bikepacking, racing and ITTs whereas for others they'll be separate.

Is the BB200 a bikepacking ITT? There's a mandatory kit list which would indicate it is. But ... Many, if not most, choose to ride through so there's no bivvying involved so it isn't. Perhaps. Maybe :???:

Stu, I think Sean was being more than a little sarcastic :wink:

Even on ITTs there are occasions where the world intrudes on our bubble: On the 2017 HT550 two definite highlights were seeing a Pine Marten cross the road as I was riding out of Kinlochewe and simple standing in awe at the entrance to Fisherfield. Neither were anything to do with the event other than the taking part in it that put me in those places at those times.

On the 2017 Rovaniemi 150 (a race not an ITT) I was nearing the last checkpoint and closing in on the rider in front when I realised that the northern lights had appeared so stopped and simply gawped at them for a couple of minutes. I even got my phone out and texted Cath to get somewhere dark to see them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

whitestone wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:03 am Is the BB200 a bikepacking ITT? There's a mandatory kit list which would indicate it is. But ... Many, if not most, choose to ride through so there's no bivvying involved so it isn't. Perhaps. Maybe :???:
By my definition then the BB200 is an ITT where the riders are Bikepacking because they are required to carry stuff to enable a wildish sleep outdoors.

Yes - I like the Venn diagram idea - For many routes/events it seems that the Bikepacking aspect and the ITT aspect are not mutually exclusive and depend on factors such as each rider's choice or the rules or the sheer physical possibilities.
slarge

Post by slarge »

It's all just riding bikes, being 12 years old again. Doesn't really matter which pigeonhole it sits in, someone will invent a category and sub niche the niche.