SJS derailleur bracket extension

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scattamah

Re: SJS derailleur bracket extension

Post by Scattamah »

Went to apply the Goatlink today...turns out my mech is the model before Shadow XTR, and thus the bolt that joins the derailleur to the bracket is too big. *sigh* Seems I'm stuck with the bodge and laggy shifting for TNR. Seems to be the cage is just that bit too far away from the rings...I'm presuming it's a game of millimeters to get that crisp shifting.

Greetz

S.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

cycleofaddiction wrote:
wriggles wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Yeah, Goat-link only works with Shadow type mech' I recall.
Correct, my understanding after 3 hours trying to get a mates R8000 shadow mech to work with the Goatlink10 fitted in addition to the existing hanger. I'd not had the time or notice to read up on them before hand and assumed he had :roll: I mention it as OP hasnt mentioned what type of mech he is using :smile:
Not sure what cassette your mate was using but the r8000 GS will run absolutely fine without the need of a Goat-link/Road-link on a 11-40 cassette and a 50-34 compact.
R8000 GS mech. 11-42 cassette. 24/38 chainset. Tooth range of 35 to 80. Was never going to work, but learned a lot trying :-bd
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Scattamah wrote:Went to apply the Goatlink today...turns out my mech is the model before Shadow XTR, and thus the bolt that joins the derailleur to the bracket is too big. *sigh* Seems I'm stuck with the bodge and laggy shifting for TNR. Seems to be the cage is just that bit too far away from the rings...I'm presuming it's a game of millimeters to get that crisp shifting.

Greetz

S.
So what are the actual components you are trying to combine ? "XTR non-clutch" could be anything from M900 to M980 :smile:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

It's a M980...the writing is tiny and was hidden under a layer of grime.

Greetz

S.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

And the other components? Shifters, Cassette & Crankset (inc model numbers)? :grin:

(NB M980 is a Shadow mech. M970 was the last non shadow mech)
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just connecting this and the TNR thread as Scott's issues, I assume, are based on looking for a low low gear for next week's shenanigans. What range of gear inches are people running? I'm going conservative with 20.5-114, if you're not sure how to calculate, just put tyre size, crank length, chainring and cassette sizes into this https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

16.9 - 95. 650b x 47 wheels, 11-36 cassette, 22/38 mtb chain ring, 105 shifters.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Here's the full setup Wriggles...

Rear derailleur and shifter are M980
Crankset is M970 @ 175mm with a Gamut chainring @ 32t
Cassette is HG500-10 11-42 (the runt in the litter, so to speak)
Wheels are 29 @ 2.1" (DT Swiss X392 on Bontrager hub on the back / Bontrager Mustang on Bontrager hub on the front / WTB rubber TBD either end)
Gear inches are 21.1 - 80.4

And yes, Duncan...the gearing is only for TNR. Maybe will keep it for BB200. We'll see.

Greetz

S.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Ah I see. I assumed it was with drop bar shifters for a Gravelly type bike for TNR. Anyway with nothing else added the max cassette size I have got that type of derailleur to work with is 11-40. Admittedly it was an XT Shadow, non-clutch mech, not XTR. For 42 max cassette I switched to a Clutch mech with a RAD cage. That M980 mech wont work with a RAD cage, or a Goatlink-10 either. So think its grumbly shifting or new rear mech time if want 11-42 cassette. I have used an M8000 11 speed XT mech with a 10 speed cassette and 10 speed XTR M980 shifter. Its possible as 11 speed has the same pull ratio as 10 speed. It was the crispest shifting I have experienced on all the 10 speed shimano I have tried and was on a Sunrace 11-46 10-Speed cassette. Actually when the 11 speed on my Turner wears I think I will put it on there, but I digress. Sorry couldn't be more help, Andy :grin:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Thanks Wriggles. That was a good breakdown. No dropbar gravelly type things for me...just Lois, my cross country mile muncher. I've tuned her now so the high->low is shifting cleanly and quickly. Low->high is where the lag is now. It was good today fully loaded - it's when the road/trail pitches up I want the quick shift to happen to keep the cadence up. By the time I'm looking for 7-10 I'm probably already pointing down and accelerating so no great drama if it takes a few more revs to make the engagement.

Out of interest...for those who are still reading this thread...10sp 11-34 + 40t...omitting 17. Viable?

Greetz

S.
Last edited by Scattamah on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm running with that setup on my Solaris and it's been fine. Wide range cassettes weren't available when I got the bike so went the extender minus the 17T route. With a 32T chainring the big jump just happens to be at about the switchover between road and off-road so I don't notice it. With a 30T it is noticeable but it's not a big deal.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

A little bit of necrothreading here...

So I'm at the LBS last night chatting away about the shifting issues and how on the last day of TNR I couldn't drop down to highest gear...and my mechanic says to me something along the lines of "I've just had a lightbulb moment" Turns out that adding a few millimeters of depth to the cage also made the cable outer too short by the same amount. A fresh piece of outer later, and the shifting issues appear to have dried up. It's not quite as crisp as in the past but it's eons better than it has been.

Greetz

S.