Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by thenorthwind »

ledburner wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:56 am
thenorthwind wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:52 am Missed the Slovenia discussion last week. We went a few years ago. Fantastic country. We travelled around a lot (basically a big lap of the country) but you'd need a car for that, and for most trips for that matter.

Bohinj was lovely. We went through the tunnel on the car-train to the Soça valley, which was fun, and the Soca is beautiful, well worth it if you can get there, either via the tunnel or the Vrsic pass. Can recommend an amazing little bar in Kobarid where the owner produced a wheel of local cheese that had been maturing and offered it round the bar :grin:

... from where you are I'd probably try to explore more of Triglav national park... . You're not far from Bled, which is the tourist honeypot to end all honeypots, but it's worth a look - maybe if you can get there early in the morning for a couple of hours.

We stayed at a "tourist farm" - a farm that hosts visitors, not where they grow tourists! - and the food was absolutely incredible....
For this cheery Friday...
Hopefully by later today I'll have a smoother more level garage floor too.
Hi TNW, I hope the garage floor went OK. Smooth tarmac, how did the Mtb or Gr'o'vel bike cope?
Thanks for the travel tips. :-bd
I thought I had doffed my hat at you, but evidently not. :oops:
and.. thank for the warning about Bled, honey pit of honeypots, like Edinburgh, Windermere, Whitby and Torquay (& others) combined when UK flights were banned descending on Bakewell.... (or other small UK destinations, in the Wallace Arnold brochure :roll: )
No problem!
Garage floor is nice and smooth, gravel bike friendly :wink:
As it happens, I've been to Bakewell today. You'd think a rainy Feb day, even Saturday would be quiet... Well I thought that in my innocent far northern (England, before any of the Scots get excited) way... :shock:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ooh look it's Friday!

There's nothing cheerier for me than coming onto our bikepacking forum and checking to see if there's any interesting debates between us and the outside world. The best sort are when people get real bees in their bonnets about something that doesn't do anyone any harm, or shoot anything, or kill anything.

I doubt there'll be anything today though because it's nice and sunny.

Oh and Mrs P has retired today. I'm fairly convinced that's not cheery because she's going to be under my feet ALL the time now, just like Sybil Fawlty :cry: . "She'll be back here in four hours and she can kill a man at ten paces with one blow of her tongue". Arg! She's just back! I'm just going to hide in the coal-hole and do my Wordle where she can't find me. Don't tell her where I am OK?.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It is indeed Friday Reg. I'm quite cheery as I'm off the Elvington (near York) on Sun to talk to some nice men about the pursuit of speed and making things go forward far faster than their designers intended. If Guy's there I promise not to swoon but I do like the lad :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

FoUr day weekend :-bd

Trails running better than I thought, except for one
Attachments
29171136-FA35-4D69-BB5C-F05487B3DACA.jpeg
29171136-FA35-4D69-BB5C-F05487B3DACA.jpeg (176.92 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:52 pm It is indeed Friday Reg. I'm quite cheery as I'm off the Elvington (near York) on Sun to talk to some nice men about the pursuit of speed and making things go forward far faster than their designers intended. If Guy's there I promise not to swoon but I do like the lad :wink:
I'll bet you're in here somewhere :smile: - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp7MHZY2ADI

I particularly like the one at 1:20.

And 3:32. Prospective flyer: "Right, pull!". "Oh". And then his mates trying to help by chucking snow over him. Hilarious!

Say hello to the man for us, he is literally 'a crazy guy' :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Harumph!

Just got back from a ride to find that someone had driven into the back of the van :sad: At least they left their details.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yup cheery. Birthday yesterday and in the absence of eyeball deep snow like last year, I've off for a luxury bivvy :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

whitestone wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:45 pm Harumph!

Just got back from a ride to find that someone had driven into the back of the van :sad: At least they left their details.
Originally thought that it was superficial damage but closer inspection reveals that they hit the van with enough force to move it forwards by a metre and have pushed part of the bodywork into the rear tyre! So no driving home. Also enough force to throw the manual from the shelf backwards onto the seat.

Been onto the insurance (for three hours!) - no courtesy replacement until Tuesday :shock: wouldn't be a problem but we are up in Scotland for a few days so got to get us and the fat bikes back home.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

A close family member has had a lump diagnosed as NOT cancer which makes a change in our family. Shall be hitting the pub to celebrate
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:34 am lWe have gone from £700 debit to £140 credit[/b]. it might have cheer me up. but the meter not line after reporting it 3 days ago they have run diagnostic & 'restarted it'... on site visit required...
official energy bill came through today. After jumping through call centre hoops. the meter now require an engineer to properly commission or replace it...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

they hit the van with enough force to move it forwards by a metre and have pushed part of the bodywork into the rear tyre! So no driving home. Also enough force to throw the manual from the shelf backwards onto the seat.
Were they in a bus?
Boab

Post by Boab »

Rode my bike for the first time in weeks. Which meant I could wear all the new cycling clobber I bought just after Christmas.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:47 pm
they hit the van with enough force to move it forwards by a metre and have pushed part of the bodywork into the rear tyre! So no driving home. Also enough force to throw the manual from the shelf backwards onto the seat.
Were they in a bus?
Sort of - Vauxhall Zafira :lol: If they'd been 10cm to the left they'd have hit the reinforcing beam behind the bumper not the chassis.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Alpinum wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:49 pm New Korn album out today :-bd
Any good Gian?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

That reminds me... but of the other end of the spectrum (or side of the cloud, perhaps): new Beach House album out today.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Went for a 30-odd mile jolly on the bike and managed to ride off road a few times without getting so clarted up that the wheels stopped going round. Which was nice. ( I still miss the Fast Show). Got sworn at by White Van Man for no apparent reason, but as he was the absolute doppelganger of a pre-diet Johnny Vegas it was hard to take too much offence.So I hurled a cheery " F#ck off! " his way and chuckled quietly to myself the last couple of miles home.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

In Reverse wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:09 pm
Alpinum wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:49 pm New Korn album out today :-bd
Any good Gian?
Yeah, it's good. Full of very powerful songs.
Better than all of their albums sans Brian Welch and in my view it pretty much takes up on their last album, yet not as good as Serenity Of Suffering, which seems to be my all-time favourite Korn one.
Despite this, well worth spending some time with the Requiem, I'm sure you'll have your head banging to some songs :-bd

Edited 'cause my head was a maelstrom lately.
Last edited by Alpinum on Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Did you meet him then Stu?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Did you meet him then Stu?
Aye, Guy was there with his '0 - 300mph within a mile from a standing start' record attempt bike. A few people have tried to do it over the years and I believe they're now all dead. Think Guy's best so far is 275(ish). This it it beneath the skin.

When I saw this I thought, 'ooh, must take a picture for Reg'. It's a steam powered rocket bike. Steam pressure released through pneumatic valves which exit through rocket pipes which in turn produces over 2000lb of thrust. So far it's achieved 200mph from a standing start in 4.1 seconds. The engineering was some of the best I've seen anywhere. Been at it 10 tears so far.

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Presumably the steam is not being generated by a BB stove :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes was just going to say the coal consumption must be prodigious!

Looks a top day out anyroad; bet you were in your element and having a whale of a time :smile: .

Verena

Post by Verena »

Yay, it's cheery Friday and our roof is still on!!

Let's see how many of us will still be able to say this in twelve hours time....

Stay safe everyone, remember "WWJS"?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep good luck everyone At least we've all got plenty of stoves, water filters etc :smile: .

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:52 am Yay, it's cheery Friday and our roof is still on!Let's see how many of us will still be able to say this in twelve hours time....

Stay safe everyone, remember "WWJS"?
Winter, Weather just sucks?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

What Would Jane Say would be my guess.