Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Re: Todays ride

Post by slarge »

A good 80km around Bredon hill and the surrounding area having a good explore of trails I haven't ridden before. Found some good trails, a lot of poor muddy ones, but really enjoyed a decent off road ride on the hardtail. Loads of potential bivvy spots as well, for future overnighters.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Steve couldbe interested in joining one time around Bredon hill iv only ever walked/hawked it actually.

Today we rode twenty miles on the fatties around some new trails and singletrack we found in the wyre forest. The weather has been and still is amazing. Heres a pic of the hut again where we took five mins before mashing up the mud :-bd
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

119Kms on Sunday according to the GPS...Shrewsbury out to Rhayader and then a little run around Elan Valley and out to a bothy. Short run today from the bothy past the Roman Camp/bog back down some two-track and rock into town and a lift back (see BAM thread).

Greetz

S.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Went for a nice ride up around the top of the Blackdown Hills and Castle Neroche, just as I was getting to the top, pulled out of a junction behind a roadie who'd just climbed up Staple Hill, I overtook him, then he caught me on the downhill and said "You thought you'd overtake a roadie, eh?" I looked around, it was Dave Bloody Barter!!!

Good to see you Dave, hope you enjoyed the rest of your ride to Brixham! :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Cheeky fecker, I caught you on the next uphill ;-)

It was great to bump into you, I needed something to cheer me up at that point as the climb with 97 miles in the legs was not appreciated. I got to Brixham in good time after we parted. Only two swears; A dog walker with an extendie lead across the entire cycle path in Paignton and the last climb up to my house which is short but 25%.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

An early finish to use up the dregs of annual leave resulted in a sneaky 60km ride home. Brad field, whines tone lee (dry, all things considered) derewent valley, hagg farm, rowlee farm, bamford edge, stanage causeway, various cheeky trails. Sunny too!!

First long ride since Achilles trouble. Still not right.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Drove half way to work this morning and cycled the rest. Forgot my bike shoes though, so it was a bit slippy in driving shoes on SPD's!
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

A road ride from sheffield to Scunthorpe to collect some panniers off a mate. Nice quiet lanes in the main, headwind from hell cycling the last 10 miles into Scunthorpe along the River though!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

so it was a bit slippy in driving shoes on SPD's!
You have specific shoes> :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Sun! Dry trails! It was winter only last week :-)

A brisk 100km mostly off-road. The flattest route I could find int peaks.

Home-outibridge-TPT-langsett-cut gate-round derewent and ladyblower-over to grindleford-curbar-houndkirk etc

Lovely day to be out!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:
so it was a bit slippy in driving shoes on SPD's!
You have specific shoes> :shock:
Er, yes :oops:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Todays ride had me down paths I'd not travelled in Shrewsbury...if it was a red line on the map, I'd try it. Interesting to find where they went, often popping out meters away from somewhere I regularly travel. A sniff under 20Kms of exploration within the town limits/Bayston Hill area.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Todays ride had me down paths I'd not travelled in Shrewsbury...if it was a red line on the map, I'd try it. Interesting to find where they went, often popping out meters away from somewhere I regularly travel. A sniff under 20Kms of exploration within the town limits/Bayston Hill area.
I love rides like that. When Mike and me were out last week, we 'found' some new trails within a mile of somewhere we've both ridden countless times. I'd seen them on the map and from a distance before but never found the time / inclination to go and search them out ... even in the dark they were good :wink:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Never made it to TCW as planned...instead went for a poke around Eastridge Wood and surrounds. Savage headwind getting there, but at least it was at my back to get home. Last couple of days' heavy rain have turned the trails back into mush.

Greetz

S.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Went for a 15km commute home last night, first ride since rovaniemi that my knee hasn't hurt. Time to start riding again :-bd
Pat

Post by Pat »

I have just fitted a rigid fork to my Transition Transam two9 and fitted some 2.4 x-Kings to see if it would scratch my 29+ Itch.....it didn't help me that my riding buddy has just bought a Krampus ops, the bugger!
Anyway, some muddy, chalky fun was had around Royston area in Herts...... He needs to make the krampus tubeless though!

The picture cuts him pumping up his tyre....but it gets my bike in!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

A sub hour ride around the Chevin last night with two guys from my training group. Wetter than an otter's pocket so we sacked it. Bad news was neither the pub or cafe were open.

On the plus side, my crank arm fell off but at least I found it (roof of the car), it didn't do so at the furthest reach of the ride and I wasn't driving at any pace so it didn't hit someone / a following car.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pat, if you fit the 2.4 XK to a wide rim, they come up a good size without the weight of a true 29+ tyre.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

A very wild 35km home. Somewhat windy and several huge hail storms blew through.

I enjoyed it but thinks it's what is often referred to as 'character building'!
Pat

Post by Pat »

s8tannorm wrote:Pat, if you fit the 2.4 XK to a wide rim, they come up a good size without the weight of a true 29+ tyre.
Thanks bud....what would be considered 'wide'?
These are my cheaper wheels for the muddy trudging and come out at either 23 or 25mm, I can't remember :0)
To be fair, when you're looking down at them, they have a good look to them! I normally ride 2.2 X-Kings all the time, but I got 3 of these for a tenner each in Halfords bargain bin, so I couldn't resist!
HUX

Post by HUX »

Last week fat ride on Dinas Dinlle in North Wales

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thanks bud....what would be considered 'wide'?
40mm + ... it's such a big carcass it needs something pretty wide to plump it up :wink:
Pat

Post by Pat »

I'll have a look...I was thinking about getting a light set of wheels built for this... :grin:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Mud, mud, mud all washed off with loads of puddles

Plus when I got home I pulled out a couple of thorns ppppppsssssssshhhhhhhhh

8 patches later the inner tubes now hold air and the tyres have had the thorns all pulled out, Unfortunately this rim and tyre can't be made tubeless
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

A short, hour 'n a bit ride today...but so very nice to have some double-digit weather again...first time out this season in summer gear with no negative effects...delicious. Beats the crap out of Friday night with the wind and rain.

Greetz

S.