The BB 200 Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Re: The BB 200 Thread

Post by slarge »

Last year there were a few muddy sections, and I think super fast (slick) tyres might struggle on these and wet grassy bits - go for a mid tread tyre (Racing Ralph, Ardent? etc).

I am doing the BB200 this weekend as I can't make it next weekend so I will post a trail conditions report here on Sun/Mon
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

slarge wrote: I am doing the BB200 this weekend as I can't make it next weekend so I will post a trail conditions report here on Sun/Mon
I look forward to this, and the strava log. Good luck with it, the weather conditions look promising. ;)

I also notice that you finished the Kielder 100 - 2012 edition about 30 mins quicker than me, so I've got a broad benchmark of how much slower I expect to be if I feel fit. :geek:
FLV

Post by FLV »

slarge wrote:Last year there were a few muddy sections, and I think super fast (slick) tyres might struggle on these and wet grassy bits - go for a mid tread tyre (Racing Ralph, Ardent? etc).

I am doing the BB200 this weekend as I can't make it next weekend so I will post a trail conditions report here on Sun/Mon
Ardents are pretty much whats on it. I kniow they're likely the best for the job overall. I just get a little obsessed over tyres :geek:
composite

Post by composite »

Probably going with a fast rear; Aspens, and a medium front; smorgasbord. I guess depending on how slarge's report goes and the weather between now and then I might go with an Aspen on the front as well.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Race Kings F+B ... mainly because they work well enough in most situations and partly because I can't be arsed changing tyres. ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:Race Kings F+B ... mainly because they work well enough in most situations and partly because I can't be arsed changing tyres. ;)
If you don't mind me asking Stu, what sort of time are you aiming for? Might be handy for er, navigation ;)
Chew

Post by Chew »

Looking at the forecast, conditions should be ideal. The rain will ease off tomorrow and then it will dry out nicely through the week giving fast conditions.

Dont remember any significant amounts of mud from last year so i'd be going with the fastest tires you have.

Hope people will be bringing their SPOTs as the race at the front will be interesting to watch. Anyone running gears will have a big advantage for the first 75k to Soar Y Mynydd, so it will be interesting to see how the tactics pan out.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you don't mind me asking Stu, what sort of time are you aiming for? Might be handy for er, navigation
I was hoping that no one would ask ... I haven't really given it much thought aside from planning on, starting slowly, gradually getting slower and not stopping ;)
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Bad news for me. Had my Niner emd and Specialized Epic stolen overnight from my garage. The Epic still had my Wildcat Mountain Lion harness and Tiger seatpack on it from the BNO so double sadness. :(

I do have a 1994 rigid Kona Kilauea on my turbo I can bring with some SB8's lying around. It is that or my s/s.

Hopefully can pull some luggage together and I will need some pedals and gps mount as well. All a bit sad but nothing that can't be replaced.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

That's proper sh1t
Chew

Post by Chew »

Sh1t* it Kevin. Hope you can get everything sorted :cry:

You can borrow my front harness and seat pack as well. Depending on how I get to Wales there's potentially my bike on offer (no idea at the moment though)

*swear filter changes this to sub standard
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bad news for me. Had my Niner emd and Specialized Epic stolen overnight from my garage. The Epic still had my Wildcat Mountain Lion harness and Tiger seatpack on it from the BNO so double sadness.
B'stards ... There's a 16" Inbred 29er here if you want to borrow it (1 x 10) and a front and rear harness too.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Blackhound wrote:Bad news for me. Had my Niner emd and Specialized Epic stolen overnight from my garage. The Epic still had my Wildcat Mountain Lion harness and Tiger seatpack on it from the BNO so double sadness. :(

I do have a 1994 rigid Kona Kilauea on my turbo I can bring with some SB8's lying around. It is that or my s/s.

Hopefully can pull some luggage together and I will need some pedals and gps mount as well. All a bit sad but nothing that can't be replaced.
That's rubbish.

I've got a Bikepack saddlebag, Revelate Tangle bag and Wildcat harness you can borrow if you want. Also got plenty of SPDs and a Garmin eTrex mount if they're any use. Based in South Derbyshire so not far from you, I think. PM me if you want them.
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

Blackhound wrote:Bad news for me. Had my Niner emd and Specialized Epic stolen overnight from my garage. The Epic still had my Wildcat Mountain Lion harness and Tiger seatpack on it from the BNO so double sadness. :(

Oh no!

I'll get something in the post to you Kevin. What length is the underside of the top tube on the Kona?
FLV

Post by FLV »

I would offer luggage but it seems you have that sorted.

I do have a mass of spares at the moment too waiting for my straggler to show up.
Wheels, brakes, Groupsets, tyres, stem, bars etc etc

If you need to borrow anything just shout.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

On one hand what a bunch of bastards, on the other what a great show of support. ;)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bad luck chap. If you are near Yeadon (Leeds Bradford Airport) I will be around all day tomorrow and would be happy to lend stuff.

Don't let the bagstads get you down 8-)

Tim 07766 504913 / timsellors@googlemail.com
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

What a nightmare!!!

Have you got any pics or distinguishing features on the bikes, just in-case i come across anything in my browsing of various forums/ebay.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

My Giant 29er size 19" can be free and fully dressed with Wildcat gear for you if you need it.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Blackhound - not sure where you are but I can leave my sleeping bag and bivvy bag in a drybag with Stu if you want - it's a Rab topbag, so only good if you're not planning on stopping!

Have loads of wheels and stuff if you are close to Warwick, and a bike if you are 5'6"
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks all for your support and offers of help. Think I will be ok, just after the posted I ordered a gps mount and some shimano pedals for £21 for both.

Regarding bags I have already emailed Beth to see if Ian can bring some along, I will need some eventually anyway. If necessary I do have an ancient Epic Designs bag for the bar and I picked up a Porcelain Rocket for under my saddle. Carries a lot but should be fine.

Might be fun to ride my old Kona with kiddie 26" wheels. V-brakes could be interesting....

Trying to decide between something like a Scott carbon bike or a Cotic Solaris build to replace the Niner. Maybe 650b!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Terrible news :(

Glad you're still playing BB200 and taking it as another challenge. I was going to offer some help with a few random bike bits but it sounds like you're covered, everyone on here has been very helpful, it's heartwarming actually.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

That is rubbish to hear. But good that you are seeing as part if the challenge and I'm impressed by the responses too. That's heartening.

I've got a fair few spares that I'm happy lend so just post on here and it looks like you'll be covered.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well Steve's underway. Weather conditions are much better than yesterday but I imagine he'll encounter quite a few moist bits ... looking forward to seeing how he gets on.
composite

Post by composite »

s8tannorm wrote:
Well Steve's underway. Weather conditions are much better than yesterday but I imagine he'll encounter quite a few moist bits ... looking forward to seeing how he gets on.
Is he planning on a bivvy or doing it in one go?